R
Posted By
Rick
Apr 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I received a 2-channel image with the intention to create a duotone PDF or EPS file, subsequently converted to PDF thru Distiller or Ghostscript.
Since the only way i know to convert a multichannel image in a duotone is converting all channels to grayscale, merging and applying the duotone, thus losing all colour infos, is there another way to convert a 2-channel image in a duotone without losing color information for every channel?

il Clod!/
ICQ UIN 97056271

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
Tacit
Apr 11, 2005
In article <1i2v7iwkspr3p$>,
ilClod wrote:

Since the only way i know to convert a multichannel image in a duotone is converting all channels to grayscale, merging and applying the duotone, thus losing all colour infos, is there another way to convert a 2-channel image in a duotone without losing color information for every channel?

No. A duotone image is nothing more than a black and white image printed twice in two different inks.

Are you sure that you need to make a duotone, rather than using the image as it is? Many people–especially people inexperienced in prepress–say "duotone" when they mean "spot color"–is it possible the person who gave you the original image made this error and does not actually want a duotone?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
nospam
Apr 11, 2005
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:23:13 GMT, ilClod wrote:

I received a 2-channel image with the intention to create a duotone PDF or EPS file, subsequently converted to PDF thru Distiller or Ghostscript.
Since the only way i know to convert a multichannel image in a duotone is converting all channels to grayscale, merging and applying the
duotone, thus losing all colour infos, is there another way to convert a 2-channel image in a duotone without losing color information for
every channel?

Sure. Copy the composite layer first! 🙂
Then: Channel mixer set to monochrome, apply Image|Mode|Grayscale, then Image|Mode|Duotone.

Want more control, more advanced?
How about a dutone, Johnny’s way? <g>

Make two copy layers of the composite channel (RGB or CMYK). Set the blending mode on "layer 1" to "normal", and the blending mode of "layer 1 copy" to "overlay".

Use a channel mixer adjustment layer on each new layer (group with
[previous] layer), and use grayscale output (check the monochrome
box).

Make a second adjustment layer to each, above each channel mixer layer, group with previous adjustment layer, and make it a hue/saturation layer, with the "colorize" box checked.

Hide the bottom layer (probably the background), select all and copy merged, new layer as copy, to get a new "flattened" layer. This is your duotone layer.

Now just do a File|New(from clipboard)|Paste, then flatten and save. Voila! Duotone image.

—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: PGP 7.1

iQA/AwUBQlqHYAIk7T39FC4ZEQJVlACfcfb64PXHYTs1FKnqjhF6LeXD1kIA nRMz sH0YEC63pkJ8ZiC5S7FU9MfT
=hh63
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–

-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
R
Rick
Apr 11, 2005
Il Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:05:02 GMT, Tacit ha scritto:

Are you sure that you need to make a duotone, rather than using the image as it is?

I’m sorry for my bad explaination. I still have some "foggy" ideas about this project.
Well, i need both spot colours, so i think it is not necessary a real duotone as you define it. Actually it’s about "two-plate printing" (hope it’s a clearer, if not better, definition 🙂
IIRC EPS3 file format supports both duotone and multichannel plates. But if i try to export a two-channel image, i get a DCS file (even if its extension is EPS). So, if i import it in, say, InDesign, i can export a PDF with both channels, and that’s fine. But i can’t do it if i export a DCS from PhotoShop, so i can’t distill it to get a PDF. And I wanted to skip this "layout" step.

Many people–especially people inexperienced in
prepress–say "duotone" when they mean "spot color"–is it possible the person who gave you the original image made this error and does not actually want a duotone?

Well, actually i’m not so experienced about prepress, but i’m trying to learn as fast as i can 🙂
The fact is, have to design a pricelist booklet for a customer, and, listening to his requests, i thought duotone was fine. But when i received this file i noticed it wasn’t as easy as i might think. If i continue using InDesign there’s no problem. But i also would like to find a less "trickier" way to get a PDF from a multichannel image

Thank you so much by now 🙂

il Clod!/
ICQ UIN 97056271

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections