Should I partition my c drive for photoshop?

MV
Posted By
martin_verity
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been told this is something I should do. Will it speed up photoshop and if so how do i do it?

Please help

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Jim
May 21, 2004
It will help you manage the drive space. It will minimize the possible fragmentation of the scratch space. The effect of fragmentation on disk drive performance depends on how badly fragmented the drive really gets.

You create partitions with one of the many programs around. Partition Magic comes to mind.

Personally, I prefer minimizing fragmentation using the tools provided by Windows.

Jim
wrote in message
I have been told this is something I should do. Will it speed up photoshop
and if so how do i do it?
Please help
RL
roger_leale
May 21, 2004
Martin,
Some more info would be helpful. Do you only have one hard disk? How big is it? Operating system?

Roger
DM
Don_McCahill
May 21, 2004
PS likes to have the program and the scratch disk on different physical drives, and will complain if they are not with a warning. If you only have one drive, then making a partition will not improve performance. Just tell the warning to go away and never come back.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 21, 2004
If you only have one drive, then making a partition will not improve performance.

Some people would argue that a scratch disk placed on a separate partition on the same physical drive is still preferable to one big partition just from the standpoint of reducing fragmentation. But what do some people know?
KC
Karen_C
May 21, 2004
Originally I had a second partition, but then I found a second hard drive was much better. I now have the scratch disks on 2 smaller hard drives and PS flies. I also use those scratch disks for ILLUS and ID.

When I purchased my latest CPU with 2.2 g ram I asked the technician to put my old smaller hard drives into the new machine. They are the ones I use as the scratch disks.

This is not something I’d try to do yourself unless you are expert at tech stuff. The local computer technician only took an hour at the most.
ND
Nick_Decker
May 22, 2004
Martin, having a second hard drive is the best way to go, no doubt. (And, it’s not all that hard to do it yourself.) Having only one hard drive limits you in a number of ways, beyond just PS scratch. Get another hard drive (they’re cheap!).

Also, what Harron said about what some people know.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections