LT
Posted By
Lance_Tauoa
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am still a freshmen with Photoshop. What would be the best file format and at what ppi should I save a graphic file as that would be best for professional printing (images will eventually be enlarged by print shop). Please email me at Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
300ppi at actual output size is best all around bet.
TIFF/PSD/EPS/PDF, depending.
"will eventually be enlarged by print shop": hmmm, unless we’re talking proprietary billboard size stuff here, you’d better supply them with the proper number of ORIGINAL pixels for the job if you want best quality.

Mac
LT
Lance_Tauoa
May 20, 2004
Thank you McDougald. What impact would there be if ….lets say instead of 300ppi, it will be 600ppi?
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
More the merrier…
600 is more than you need at actual output size, but would allow for cropping or even larger output size and etc.

As far as home printing, like to injets, a file size much larger than you need will only slow down the printer without any appreciable gain in quality, but for commercial printing, more is fine….they can always downsample if they want to. What you really can’t do is UPsample (add pixels) and expect same quality.

Mac
LT
Lance_Tauoa
May 20, 2004
Mac, Very helpful! Makes sense for a starter! Thanks again.
PA
Peter Aitken
May 21, 2004
wrote in message
I am still a freshmen with Photoshop. What would be the best file format
and at what ppi should I save a graphic file as that would be best for professional printing (images will eventually be enlarged by print shop). Please email me at Thanks.

If "professional printing" means an outside service then ask them what format they want. PPI is meaningless. You can change PPI to any value you want and the image will be exactly the same.

BTW asking for email replies is considered bad form. Replies are to be posted publicly so all can benefit.

Peter Aitken

Remove the crap from my email address before using.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections