L
Posted By
layered
Dec 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for ways to apply USM to a multi-layered image so that I can *easily* :

a. keep records of what USM values are used.
b. compare results from using different USM values.
c. on an image edited in rgb space, apply USM on only the L channel *and* without having to flatten the image.

There probably is not a single way to achieve all of the above. In PS7, is there a way to create a layer and apply USM to all the layers? That will at least take care of a. and b.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
tacitr
Dec 12, 2003
There probably is not a single way to achieve all of the above. In PS7, is there a way to create a layer and apply USM to all the layers?

No. You can’t create a "filter layer," and all filters work only on the current layer.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
bhilton665
Dec 12, 2003

I’m looking for ways to apply USM to a multi-layered image so that I can *easily* :

c. on an image edited in rgb space, apply USM on only the L channel *and* without having to flatten the image.

There probably is not a single way to achieve all of the above. In PS7, is there a way to create a layer and apply USM to all the layers? That will at least take care of a. and b.

Here’s what I do to handle this problem, except I sharpen in LAB mode instead of changing to Luminosity … maybe this will help, maybe not.

1) Make a new layer at the top of the layer stack. It will be blank.

2) Hold down the Alt key and keep holding it down while doing Layer > Merge Visible. This will flatten all the turned on underlying layers in the new formerly blank top layer while leaving the underlying layers untouched.

3) Run USM on this top layer and make a note of the parameters. Do Edit > Fade and change the mode to Luminosity if you only want to sharpen the L channel. Once just rename the layer with the USM paratemters used, something like "USM 200 2 1" with the numbers in order for amount, radius, threshold.

If you forgot to write down the USM parameters just call up the USM window again and see what’s in there since they wouldn’t have changed from the last time you ran USM.

If you want to try various USM parameters you can just make this top layer inactive and repeat the steps with a new composit layer, naming the new layer after the new USM parameters, then turn these sharpened composite layers on/off to see the effects of different amounts of USM.

I think this does a,b and c for you at the expense of additional file size with all the new composite layers.

Bill
TN
Tom Nelson
Dec 12, 2003
An elegant solution, Bill.

In article , Bill Hilton
wrote:

Here’s what I do to handle this problem, except I sharpen in LAB mode instead of changing to Luminosity … maybe this will help, maybe not.
2) Hold down the Alt key and keep holding it down while doing Layer > Merge Visible. This will flatten all the turned on underlying layers in the new formerly blank top layer while leaving the underlying layers untouched.
3) Run USM on this top layer and make a note of the parameters. Do Edit > Fade
and change the mode to Luminosity if you only want to sharpen the L channel. Once just rename the layer with the USM paratemters used, something like "USM 200 2 1" with the numbers in order for amount, radius, threshold.
If you forgot to write down the USM parameters just call up the USM window again and see what’s in there since they wouldn’t have changed from the last time you ran USM.

If you want to try various USM parameters you can just make this top layer inactive and repeat the steps with a new composit layer, naming the new layer after the new USM parameters, then turn these sharpened composite layers on/off
to see the effects of different amounts of USM.

I think this does a,b and c for you at the expense of additional file size with all the new composite layers.

Bill
S
saswss
Dec 12, 2003
In article ,
(Bill Hilton) writes:

3) Run USM on this top layer and make a note of the parameters. Do Edit > Fade and change the mode to Luminosity if you only want to sharpen the L channel. Once just rename the layer with the USM paratemters used, something like "USM 200 2 1" with the numbers in order for amount, radius, threshold.

If you want to try various USM parameters you can just make this top layer inactive and repeat the steps with a new composit layer, naming the new layer after the new USM parameters, then turn these sharpened composite layers on/off to see the effects of different amounts of USM.

I do pretty much what Bill describes except for applying the High Pass filter instead of USM. That way, you can change the amount of sharpening by changing the blending mode (soft light, overlay, hard light, etc.), opacity, or contrast of the High Pass layer. To sharpen only luminosity, desaturate the merged layer before you apply High Pass.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
S
Sanders
Dec 12, 2003
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:27:29 GMT, wrote:

Thanks.
Consider this:
Add a blank layer to the top of your Layers stack. Then hold down the Alt (Option) key as you click on menu on the right of the Layers palette and then choose Merge Visible. You will create a layer that is a flattened version of your visible layers, without flattening them. USM that image and then rename the layer with your USM values.

Then, click off the eye next to this new layer and repeat the process with your second choice of USM.

Since going from RGB to Lab and back again causes no loss, swing to Lab choosing the Do Not Flatten option, repeat the technique described above, make the USM adjustment, then return to RGB and name the layer.

I believe this method will solve your a, b and c criteria. Good luck.
–Sanders

–sanders
e-mail?Please erase theboard
L
layered
Dec 13, 2003
Bill, Warren and Sanders: thanks for a great tutorial. It solves all the problems and should speed up my workflow. Have you guys consider writing a Real Problems book?

Now some related questions. In my current workflow I spot an image first (history brush, clone tool, NeatImage) and tweak the color and tone to arrive at a "master" file. From it, I change the image size to a desired print size, sharpen, spot and tweak the color and tone one more time (if necessary) before printing. For a different print size I have to repeat the above again. It would be nice if I could get all the spotting and tweaking done at the "master" file stage, but I have yet to figure out how. Any suggestions?

Sanders wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:27:29 GMT, wrote:

Thanks.
Consider this:
Add a blank layer to the top of your Layers stack. Then hold down the Alt (Option) key as you click on menu on the right of the Layers palette and then choose Merge Visible. You will create a layer that is a flattened version of your visible layers, without flattening them. USM that image and then rename the layer with your USM values.
Then, click off the eye next to this new layer and repeat the process with your second choice of USM.

Since going from RGB to Lab and back again causes no loss, swing to Lab choosing the Do Not Flatten option, repeat the technique described above, make the USM adjustment, then return to RGB and name the layer.
I believe this method will solve your a, b and c criteria. Good luck.
–Sanders

–sanders
e-mail?Please erase theboard

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections