Cropping at the same reference point for diff. pics?

Z
Posted By
Zilla
May 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to learn how to program animation by first taking pics of successive rame images, say, of a person running in place, or someone swinging a golf club, or whatever. You get the idea.

Now I want to crop these images at the same size in PS CS3 and then put them in a tiled pattern, say 1×8, and save it as one bitmap image. My program will
then display the first tile, then the second, third, etc., and loop over. So if I
have 10 images of 200×400, my 10-tile image will be 2000×400.

When cropping, what’s the trick in "automatically" choosing the reference point so the animated image doesn’t shake left-right, or up-down? IOW, if the first tile is cropped so the subject has less offeset from the left edge
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again, "automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics the center of the crop? I know I can press alt, then mouse-drag so the crop rectable expands fromt eh pointed pixel, but I still have to point the pixel (manual).

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mike Russell
May 25, 2009
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:57:39 -0400, Zilla wrote:

I’m trying to learn how to program animation by first taking pics of successive rame images, say, of a person running in place, or someone swinging a golf club, or whatever. You get the idea.

Try the Auto-Align Layers command – it may do exactly what you want. —
Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
PD
Philo D
May 25, 2009
In article <5OmSl.1831$>, Zilla
wrote:

Now I want to crop these images at the same size in PS CS3 and then put them in a tiled pattern, say 1×8, and save it as one bitmap image. My program will
then display the first tile, then the second, third, etc., and loop over. So if I
When cropping, what’s the trick in "automatically" choosing the reference point so the animated image doesn’t shake left-right, or up-down? IOW, if the first tile is cropped so the subject has less offeset from the left edge
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again, "automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics the center of the crop? I know I can press alt, then mouse-drag so the crop rectable expands fromt eh pointed pixel, but I still have to point the pixel (manual).

Make sense? Thanks.

You could experiment with File > Automate > Batch
R
Roberto
May 25, 2009
"Zilla" wrote in message

Now I want to crop these images at the same size in PS CS3 and then put them
in a tiled pattern, say 1×8, and save it as one bitmap image. My program will
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again, "automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics the
center of the crop? I know I can press alt, then mouse-drag so the crop rectable expands fromt eh pointed pixel, but I still have to point the pixel (manual).

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

As Mike said, try auto align layers first.

Just one other thing, instead of using a filmstrip type file, will your animation program not allow you to import Photoshop files? The reason for asking is that it may be more future resistant/flexible if you have each frame of the animation on individual layers.
Z
Zilla
May 25, 2009
"Paul Maclean" wrote in message
"Zilla" wrote in message

as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again, "automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics the
center of the crop? I know I can press alt, then mouse-drag so the crop rectable expands fromt eh pointed pixel, but I still have to point the pixel (manual).

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

Just one other thing, instead of using a filmstrip type file, will your animation program not allow you to import Photoshop files? The reason for asking is that it may be more future resistant/flexible if you have each frame of the animation on individual layers.

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one, say in Java for example. I like your idea of being using layers so I’ll google it, but do you have links handy you can share? Will this idea work over a network where the program has to download the image(s) on the fly? IOW, the files have to be small.

-Zilla
Z
Zilla
May 25, 2009
"Philo D" wrote in message
wrote:

then display the first tile, then the second, third, etc., and loop over. So
if I
When cropping, what’s the trick in "automatically" choosing the reference point so the animated image doesn’t shake left-right, or up-down? IOW, if the first tile is cropped so the subject has less offeset from the left
edge

Make sense? Thanks.

Can I tell PS to crop->alt-mouse drag from pixel MxN? Or if I recorded the first crop this way, I can just repeat it automatically? I’ll try.

-Zilla
R
Roberto
May 25, 2009
"Zilla" wrote in message

When cropping, what’s the trick in "automatically" choosing the reference
point so the animated image doesn’t shake left-right, or up-down? IOW, if the first tile is cropped so the subject has less offeset from the left edge

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one, say in Java for example. I like your idea of being using layers so I’ll google it, but do you have links handy you can share? Will this idea work over a network where the program has to download the image(s) on the fly? IOW, the files have to be small.

-Zilla

No, I don’t have any links. The reason I know this is because Premiere CS4 doesn’t accept filmstrip files anymore. Previously, you could export between Photoshop and Premiere using filmstrip files, which were basically all the video frames sequenced in a big bitmap.

Although Photoshop will still open filmstrip files, there is no easy way to export them in a format accepted by Premiere, and because it’s just a big bitmapped file, there is no easy way to split them into individual layers.

It may be worth you googling "Photoshop animation" for some ideas, because from about CS2 onwards, they had basic animation included, if I remember correctly. If you are developing software, it may also be worth researching "Toon Boom", as you may also get some ideas here and also Flash of course.

Not being a software developer, I am afraid I can’t really help you, as I would imagine that you know more than I do.
R
Rob
May 26, 2009
Zilla wrote:
"Philo D" wrote in message
wrote:

then display the first tile, then the second, third, etc., and loop over. So
if I
When cropping, what’s the trick in "automatically" choosing the reference point so the animated image doesn’t shake left-right, or up-down? IOW, if the first tile is cropped so the subject has less offeset from the left
edge

Make sense? Thanks.

Can I tell PS to crop->alt-mouse drag from pixel MxN? Or if I recorded the first crop this way, I can just repeat it automatically? I’ll try.
-Zilla

Not sure if this in CS3 think it is?? I’m on CS4

Using Adobe bridge select all the images you want to use

Open to PS in layers

Tools> Photoshop > load files into photoshop layers.

In PS select all layers. EDIT > Auto align layers.

Then crop the image and all should be prepared to the correct size etc.

you can then use the layers individually.
K
Kabuki
May 26, 2009
"Zilla" wrote in message

in a tiled pattern, say 1×8, and save it as one bitmap image. My program
will
point so the animated image doesn’t shake left-right, or up-down? IOW, if the first tile is cropped so the subject has less offeset from the left edge
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again, "automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics
the

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one, say in Java for example. I like your idea of being using layers so I’ll google it, but
do you have links handy you can share? Will this idea work over a network where the program has to download the image(s) on the fly? IOW, the files have to be small.

-Zilla

No, I don’t have any links. The reason I know this is because Premiere CS4
doesn’t accept filmstrip files anymore. Previously, you could export between Photoshop and Premiere using filmstrip files, which were basically all the video frames sequenced in a big bitmap.

Although Photoshop will still open filmstrip files, there is no easy way to
export them in a format accepted by Premiere, and because it’s just a big bitmapped file, there is no easy way to split them into individual layers.
It may be worth you googling "Photoshop animation" for some ideas, because from about CS2 onwards, they had basic animation included, if I remember correctly. If you are developing software, it may also be worth researching
"Toon Boom", as you may also get some ideas here and also Flash of course.
Not being a software developer, I am afraid I can’t really help you, as I would imagine that you know more than I do.
I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one,

why not use the one included in PS??
window>animation

in older versions it is in image ready
pretty sure you can align layers in there too
R
Rob
May 27, 2009
Paul Maclean wrote:
"Zilla" wrote in message

will
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again, "automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics
the

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one, say in Java for example. I like your idea of being using layers so I’ll google it, but
do you have links handy you can share? Will this idea work over a network where the program has to download the image(s) on the fly? IOW, the files have to be small.

-Zilla

No, I don’t have any links. The reason I know this is because Premiere CS4 doesn’t accept filmstrip files anymore. Previously, you could export between Photoshop and Premiere using filmstrip files, which were basically all the video frames sequenced in a big bitmap.

Although Photoshop will still open filmstrip files, there is no easy way to export them in a format accepted by Premiere, and because it’s just a big bitmapped file, there is no easy way to split them into individual layers.
It may be worth you googling "Photoshop animation" for some ideas, because from about CS2 onwards, they had basic animation included, if I remember correctly. If you are developing software, it may also be worth researching

Haven’t used PS to edit frames now for a couple of years now, but I knew it was available to use between CS2 and Premiere. I’m now using PS CS4. So Ill have to remember that its NLA

Took a long time to edit the film strip even 10 seconds worth. 🙂

Thanks.
R
Roberto
May 29, 2009
"Rob" wrote in message

Now I want to crop these images at the same size in PS CS3 and then put
them
will
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again,
"automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics
the
center of the crop? I know I can press alt, then mouse-drag so the crop
rectable expands fromt eh pointed pixel, but I still have to point the pixel (manual).

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one, say in Java
for example. I like your idea of being using layers so I’ll google it, but
do you have links handy you can share? Will this idea work over a network
where the program has to download the image(s) on the fly? IOW, the files have to be small.

-Zilla

doesn’t accept filmstrip files anymore. Previously, you could export between Photoshop and Premiere using filmstrip files, which were basically
all the video frames sequenced in a big bitmap.

export them in a format accepted by Premiere, and because it’s just a big bitmapped file, there is no easy way to split them into individual layers.

It may be worth you googling "Photoshop animation" for some ideas, because
from about CS2 onwards, they had basic animation included, if I remember correctly. If you are developing software, it may also be worth researching

Haven’t used PS to edit frames now for a couple of years now, but I knew it was available to use between CS2 and Premiere. I’m now using PS CS4. So Ill have to remember that its NLA

Took a long time to edit the film strip even 10 seconds worth. 🙂
Thanks.

Absolutely, rotoscoping is a nightmare task! It’s very time consuming, and to be honest even when you’re finished, it still doesn’t give you much satisfaction because as it’s over in a flash you think to yourself, is that it! As you will know, ten seconds in video terms is a long time if you’re rotoscoping.

Then just to make it worse, you try everything in Adobe Premiere CS4 to open your working file and finally work out that it can’t be done. Then you go back to an earlier version of Premiere in the hope of salvaging it, and just to really put the dagger in, it now won’t open the working file. Possibly because it’s now a *.prproj file. Nice one!!!
Z
Zilla
May 31, 2009
"Kabuki" wrote in message
"Zilla" wrote in message

Now I want to crop these images at the same size in PS CS3 and then put
them
will
as the next tile, the subject will seem to "jerk" to the right. Again,
"automatically" is the operative word here, or at least a tool that pics
the
center of the crop? I know I can press alt, then mouse-drag so the crop
rectable expands fromt eh pointed pixel, but I still have to point the pixel (manual).

Make sense? Thanks.

– Zilla

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one, say in Java
for example. I like your idea of being using layers so I’ll google it, but
do you have links handy you can share? Will this idea work over a network
where the program has to download the image(s) on the fly? IOW, the files have to be small.

-Zilla

doesn’t accept filmstrip files anymore. Previously, you could export between Photoshop and Premiere using filmstrip files, which were basically
all the video frames sequenced in a big bitmap.

It may be worth you googling "Photoshop animation" for some ideas, because
from about CS2 onwards, they had basic animation included, if I remember correctly. If you are developing software, it may also be worth researching

I don’t have an "animation program," I’m trying to write one,
why not use the one included in PS??
window>animation

in older versions it is in image ready
pretty sure you can align layers in there too

No I WANT to write an animation program; the one in PS will be a good test for my cropped frames though. TY.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections