NM
Posted By
Nigel Molesworth
Apr 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The Photomerge in Photoshop CS4E is a fantastic tool when it gets it right, but what can you do when it doesn’t? I’ve got a bunch of 9 images (in a "Noughts and Crosses" or "Tic Tac Toe" layout), all with 50% overlap, but a lot of fairly blank areas – this can’t be avoided, they are nautical charts. When I do Auto Photomerge on these, a couple of the images get put in the wrong place. Is there a way to position the images in their approximate place, then get Photoshop to finish the job automatically?

Nigel M

If I’m discussing apples, please don’t suggest bananas

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TN
Tom Nelson
Apr 10, 2009
In article , Nigel
Molesworth wrote:

The Photomerge in Photoshop CS4E is a fantastic tool when it gets it right, but what can you do when it doesn’t? I’ve got a bunch of 9 images (in a "Noughts and Crosses" or "Tic Tac Toe" layout), all with 50% overlap, but a lot of fairly blank areas – this can’t be avoided, they are nautical charts. When I do Auto Photomerge on these, a couple of the images get put in the wrong place. Is there a way to position the images in their approximate place, then get Photoshop to finish the job automatically?

In the main Photomerge dialog, choose "Interactive Layout" (the bottom choice). In future, consider placing a small mark in a blank area of the chart, which you can clone away after the composite is stitched.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
NM
Nigel Molesworth
Apr 10, 2009
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:14:32 +0000 (UTC), Tom Nelson
wrote:

In the main Photomerge dialog, choose "Interactive Layout"

No Interactive Layout in CS4, but there is a plug-in which puts it back:

< http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSEE858938-B2D1-4 03d-A55F-94B00BA8BC1E.html>

Not quite what I wanted, as you lose the "Auto" mode, but it’s a start.
MR
Mike Russell
Apr 11, 2009
another thought would be to add canvas area to some of the images so that there are no gaps between images.

In some cases, BTW, I’ve had bad mosaics in the several hundred megapixel range poorly assembled apparently because of memory issues – they went away when I upgraded to 8 GB.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
TN
Tom Nelson
Apr 11, 2009
In article , Nigel
Molesworth wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:14:32 +0000 (UTC), Tom Nelson
wrote:

In the main Photomerge dialog, choose "Interactive Layout"

No Interactive Layout in CS4, but there is a plug-in which puts it back:

< http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSEE858938-B2D1-4 03d-A55F-94B00BA8 BC1E.html>

Not quite what I wanted, as you lose the "Auto" mode, but it’s a start.
Hmm, it’s there in PSCS4 for Mac. The plug-in is PhotomergeUI.plugin version 11.0×001 created 9/19/08.
Tom

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections