Newbie wants to lift a signature off a page.

M
Posted By
msgrappling
Dec 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I scanned a page with a signature onto my comp using photoshop and I’m trying to use photoshop to lift the sig off the page. The signature needs to be cleaned up though because it was written over other letters and lines. Also how do you turn the background into a white or transparent background. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I am TOTALLY NEW AT THIS PROGRAM. Is this the best place to ask beginner questions like this or are there other places for guys like me to go? You can email me directly as
Thanks for your help,
Mark

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

F
Farlo
Dec 11, 2003
(Mark) wrote:

Is this the best place to ask beginner
questions like this or are there other places for guys like me to go?

There are usually tutorials in the manual. The first chapter is often devoted to new features and a very basic tutorial.

Farlo, the Urban Fey Dragon
R
Rick
Dec 11, 2003
"Mark" wrote in message
I scanned a page with a signature onto my comp using photoshop and I’m trying to use photoshop to lift the sig off the page. The signature needs to be cleaned up though because it was written over other letters and lines. Also how do you turn the background into a white or transparent background. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I am TOTALLY NEW AT THIS PROGRAM. Is this the best place to ask beginner questions like this or are there other places for guys like me to go? You can email me directly as
Thanks for your help,
Mark

The easiest way is to adjust your scanner software before bringing it into PS. Set it to scan in B&W/1-bit mode, and if it has custom whitepoint and blackpoint settings, see if you can adjust them to recognize the signature as black and everything else as white (or even vice-versa will work, you can invert the image once it’s in PS).

If that method isn’t possible, then hopefully there’s enough difference in color between the signature and lines/other letters that you can use PS’s color selection tools to isolate the signature. You can usually come close enough to clean up the rest manually. Read your PS manual or check online about different color selection methods.

Rick
MM
Mister Max
Dec 11, 2003
(Mark) posted:

I scanned a page with a signature onto my comp using photoshop and I’m trying to use photoshop to lift the sig off the page. The signature needs to be cleaned up though because it was written over other letters and lines. Also how do you turn the background into a white or transparent background. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I am TOTALLY NEW AT THIS PROGRAM. Is this the best place to ask beginner questions like this or are there other places for guys like me to go?

Let’s see here. You can’t re-write the signature, so it must not be yours. Why would you want to copy a signature except to use it to forge something? Why should we help you?

You can email me directly as
Thanks for your help,
Mark

And if we answer, we do it here, not by email. Normally this is so others can benefit from our advice or discussion. In this case, cui bono?

MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/
(Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The double letters in my last name are not.)
F
Fuzzy
Dec 12, 2003
OMG..get off your judgement box. You have no clue why he wants to do this nor is it your business why.
If you can help him, great…if you cant, stfu and let someone else help him.

"Mister Max" wrote in message
(Mark) posted:

I scanned a page with a signature onto my comp using photoshop and I’m trying to use photoshop to lift the sig off the page. The signature needs to be cleaned up though because it was written over other letters and lines. Also how do you turn the background into a white or transparent background. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I am TOTALLY NEW AT THIS PROGRAM. Is this the best place to ask beginner questions like this or are there other places for guys like me to go?

Let’s see here. You can’t re-write the signature, so it must not be yours. Why would you want to copy a signature except to use it to forge something? Why should we help you?

You can email me directly as
Thanks for your help,
Mark

And if we answer, we do it here, not by email. Normally this is so others can benefit from our advice or discussion. In this case, cui bono?

MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/
(Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The double letters in my last name are not.)
TN
Tom Nelson
Dec 12, 2003
Mister Max wrote:

Before I got a stand-alone fax machine, I had to do something similar whenever someone faxed me something to sign and return.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
MM
Mister Max
Dec 12, 2003
Tom Nelson posted:

Mister Max wrote:

Before I got a stand-alone fax machine, I had to do something similar whenever someone faxed me something to sign and return.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
I don’t have a fax machine, so I have scanned my own signature for the same reason. I wrote the signature on clean white paper and went from there. OTOH, the OP has asked for help with a signature on lined paper that’s not too clear; it’s obviously not his own signature.

It’s fishy.
– Max

MisterMax
R
Rick
Dec 13, 2003
Tom Nelson posted:

Mister Max wrote:

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
I don’t have a fax machine, so I have scanned my own signature for the same reason. I wrote the signature on clean white paper and went from there. OTOH, the OP has asked for help with a signature on lined paper that’s not too clear; it’s obviously not his own signature.

Maybe it is his signature, on something he wants proof that he had signed previously (or 100 other possibilities).

It’s fishy.

You’re cynical.

Rick
C
Chris
Dec 13, 2003
In article <brdl2k$2brfd$>,
"Rick" wrote:

Tom Nelson posted:

Mister Max wrote:

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

Maybe it is his signature, on something he wants proof that he had signed previously

Then he wouldn’t want to edit it.

C
JC
J C
Dec 13, 2003
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:28:22 GMT, Chris Havel
wrote:

Then he wouldn’t want to edit it.

Really? What about all those marketing pieces where a signature is placed at the bottom in blue ink.

That would be one reason for creating a graphic for a signature.

But then again, when we use a signature for a marketing letter, we usually get the actual signature done on unlined paper so that we don’t need to clean it up.

So, I’d agree that the reason for wanting to clean up a signature are suspect.

But then again the original poster’s question is so absolutely basic that I’d wonder if there really is any malicous intent. I’d doubt it.

So, to he who asked the original question… HAVE YOU TRIED USING THE AIRBRUSH TOOL and/or the STAMP TOOL.

RTFM

— JC
TN
Tom Nelson
Dec 13, 2003
So Mark, why DO you need this signature?

In article , Mark
wrote:

Thanks for your help,
Mark
HL
Harry Limey
Dec 13, 2003
Tom
I would think he either grew bored or was frightened away, after the first 5 or 6 messages accusing him of plagiarism, copyright infringement and outright forgery!!
I suspect the former.
Harry
"Tom Nelson" wrote in message
So Mark, why DO you need this signature?

In article , Mark
wrote:

Thanks for your help,
Mark
B
Brian
Dec 15, 2003
I would think he either grew bored or was frightened away

Or perhaps the reason he asked to be emailed w/ the answer(s) was because he had no intention on checking back here.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections