deleted prefs — can I get my actions back?

FD
Posted By
Frances Del Rio
Mar 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
the other day to fix a problem I was advised here to delete preferences, which I did (dragged to Desktop, actually), but now can’t get my actions back.. (problem was shift key was not working to draw/erase straight lines.. still don’t understand why/how getting rid of prefs fixes this, but it did…:)…)

I did copy back Actions Palette.psp, but still my actions I set myself are not back… (Actions Palette.psp is a shortcut, why is it a shortcut, where is file shortcut points to?) I was able to ‘recover’ all my other prefs, but not my actions, would appreciate some help (PS CS, Windows 2000..) thank you..

Frances

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
PH
Mar 2, 2005
Frances Del Rio wrote:
the other day to fix a problem I was advised here to delete preferences, which I did (dragged to Desktop, actually), but now can’t get my actions back.. (problem was shift key was not working to draw/erase straight lines.. still don’t understand why/how getting rid of prefs fixes this, but it did…:)…)

I did copy back Actions Palette.psp, but still my actions I set myself are not back… (Actions Palette.psp is a shortcut, why is it a shortcut, where is file shortcut points to?) I was able to ‘recover’ all my other prefs, but not my actions, would appreciate some help (PS CS, Windows 2000..) thank you..

Frances

Your actions should be in a separate folder, I am on Mac and I just have them sitting there……..if you find the
folder, in Photoshop open the Actions under the Window menu and load them again. (Little arrow on the top right of the Action palette).

Trashing Preferences often helps getting rid of weird sudden problems. In all Adobe products.

Peter
FD
Frances Del Rio
Mar 2, 2005
PH wrote:
Frances Del Rio wrote:

Frances

Your actions should be in a separate folder, I am on Mac and I just have them sitting there……..if you find the
folder, in Photoshop open the Actions under the Window menu and load them again. (Little arrow on the top right of the Action palette).

I tried that, but no go.. went to prefs folder I dragged to desktop and opened it but it shows empty.. actions you can download have .atn extension.. but in prefs folder all I see is Actions Palette.psp.. it’s not very useful to me to trash prefs every time I have some weird problem if aferwards I can get my actions back..

just created a new action, need to find where it’s stored, it’s not where other, default actions are.. (under presets..)

Trashing Preferences often helps getting rid of weird sudden problems. In all Adobe products.

really?? well this is good to know, although again, if I will lose all my actions every time, this is not a viable solution for me.. thank you for your help.. Frances
E
edjh
Mar 3, 2005
Frances Del Rio wrote:
PH wrote:

Frances Del Rio wrote:

Frances

I tried that, but no go.. went to prefs folder I dragged to desktop and opened it but it shows empty.. actions you can download have .atn extension.. but in prefs folder all I see is Actions Palette.psp.. it’s not very useful to me to trash prefs every time I have some weird problem if aferwards I can get my actions back..

just created a new action, need to find where it’s stored, it’s not where other, default actions are.. (under presets..)

really?? well this is good to know, although again, if I will lose all my actions every time, this is not a viable solution for me.. thank you for your help.. Frances
You probably didn’t Save your actions or back them up. You should Save them from the Actions palette flyout. If you don’t do this they are stored in the Actions palette prefs file, but this is rather fragile as you found out.

Look at the menu that appears when you click the flyout arrow. Your actions MIGHT be listed in the menu, in which case you can select them (load) from the menu. Then be sure to Save Actions to the Presets folder and back them up in another folder.

Crazy things happen in Photoshop when the Preferences file gets corrupted, thus trashing the file and letting Photoshop rebuild it solves many problems.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
FD
Frances Del Rio
Mar 10, 2005
edjh wrote:

Frances Del Rio wrote:
PH wrote:

Frances Del Rio wrote:

the other day to fix a problem I was advised here to delete preferences,
which I did (dragged to Desktop, actually), but now can’t get my actions
back.. (problem was shift key was not working to draw/erase straight lines.. still don’t understand why/how getting rid of prefs fixes this, but it did…:)…)

I did copy back Actions Palette.psp, but still my actions I set myself are not back… (Actions Palette.psp is a shortcut, why is it a shortcut, where is file shortcut points to?) I was able to ‘recover’ all
my other prefs, but not my actions, would appreciate some help (PS CS, Windows 2000..) thank you..

Frances

You probably didn’t Save your actions or back them up.

please HOW do I save my actions? where are they? the shift-key thing is again not working (can’t draw a straight line from one point to another), after just a few days of having deleted all my prefs in an attempt to fix this.. this is ridiculous… I’m on PS CS on Windows 2000, please, where are my actions? how do I save them?? and why does this shift-key thing fail all the time? thank you…….

You should Save
them from the Actions palette flyout.

I don’t see a save option on Actions palette flyout, my actions are not listed there either.. when I hit "load actions" I don’t see my actions there… thank you…. Frances

If you don’t do this they are
stored in the Actions palette prefs file, but this is rather fragile as you found out.

Look at the menu that appears when you click the flyout arrow. Your actions MIGHT be listed in the menu, in which case you can select them (load) from the menu. Then be sure to Save Actions to the Presets folder and back them up in another folder.

Crazy things happen in Photoshop when the Preferences file gets corrupted, thus trashing the file and letting Photoshop rebuild it solves many problems.

FD
Frances Del Rio
Mar 10, 2005
Frances Del Rio wrote:

edjh wrote:

Frances Del Rio wrote:

PH wrote:

Frances Del Rio wrote:

the other day to fix a problem I was advised here to delete preferences,
which I did (dragged to Desktop, actually), but now can’t get my actions
back.. (problem was shift key was not working to draw/erase straight lines.. still don’t understand why/how getting rid of prefs fixes this,
but it did…:)…)

I did copy back Actions Palette.psp, but still my actions I set myself are not back… (Actions Palette.psp is a shortcut, why is it a shortcut, where is file shortcut points to?) I was able to ‘recover’ all
my other prefs, but not my actions, would appreciate some help (PS CS, Windows 2000..) thank you..

Frances

You probably didn’t Save your actions or back them up.

please HOW do I save my actions? where are they? the shift-key thing is again not working (can’t draw a straight line from one point to another), after just a few days of having deleted all my prefs in an attempt to fix this.. this is ridiculous… I’m on PS CS on Windows 2000, please, where are my actions? how do I save them?? and why does this shift-key thing fail all the time? thank you…….
You should Save

them from the Actions palette flyout.

I don’t see a save option on Actions palette flyout, my actions are not listed there either.. when I hit "load actions" I don’t see my actions there… thank you…. Frances

If you don’t do this they are

stored in the Actions palette prefs file, but this is rather fragile as you found out.

shift-key to draw a straight line is working now.. (after I deleted all my prefs again… primitive………) but only for square brushes.. I’ve used it before for round brushes, was wondering why it isn’t working for round brushes.. this entire thing is insane, to have to delete all yr prefs (and can’t recover actions..) every few days in order for program to work properly.. at other times all prefs disappear spontaneously… (also has happened to me and other PS users..) for the amount of money they charge for this program this truly sucks.. I hope someone from Adobe is reading this…

Frances
H
Hecate
Mar 10, 2005
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:28:49 -0500, Frances Del Rio
wrote:

shift-key to draw a straight line is working now.. (after I deleted all my prefs again… primitive………) but only for square brushes.. I’ve used it before for round brushes, was wondering why it isn’t working for round brushes.. this entire thing is insane, to have to delete all yr prefs (and can’t recover actions..) every few days in order for program to work properly.. at other times all prefs disappear spontaneously… (also has happened to me and other PS users..) for the amount of money they charge for this program this truly sucks.. I hope someone from Adobe is reading this…
1. You were told how to save your actions once before. SO, here it is again:

Saving and loading actions

Actions are automatically saved to the Actions Palette folder in the Adobe Photoshop or Adobe ImageReady CS Settings folder. If this file is lost or removed, the actions you created are lost. You can save your actions to a separate actions file so that you can recover them if necessary. You can also load a variety of action sets that are shipped with Photoshop (Photoshop).

Note: The default location of the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder varies by operating system. Use your operating system’s Find command to locate this folder.

To save a set of actions:

1. Select a set.
2. Choose Save Actions from the Actions palette menu.
3. Type a name for the set, choose a location, and click Save.

You can save the set anywhere. However, if you place the file in the Presets/Photoshop Actions folder inside the Photoshop program folder, the set will appear at the bottom of the Actions palette menu after you restart the application.

Tip Press Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Command+Option (Mac OS) when you choose the Save Actions command to save the actions in a text file. You can use this file to review or print the contents of an action. However, you can’t reload the text file back into Photoshop.

To load a set of actions:

Do one of the following:
* Choose Load Actions from the Actions palette menu. Locate and select the action set file, and then click Load. (In Windows, Photoshop action set files have the extension .atn.)
* Select an action set from the bottom of the Actions
palette menu.

To restore actions to the default set:

1. Choose Reset Actions from the Actions palette menu.
2. Click OK to replace the current actions in the Actions palette with the default set, or click Append to add the set of default actions to the current actions in the Actions palette.

That was taken directly for the help file in Photoshop.

2. If you are having major problems like you state then there is something wrong with your system. I suggest, firstly, you check for viruses, spyware and malware. Secondly, test your memory modules, that’s often a source of problems – a fault which doesn’t appear with other software appears with Photoshop because it hits memory hard.

That should give you some things to do.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
FD
Frances Del Rio
Mar 11, 2005
Hecate wrote:

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:28:49 -0500, Frances Del Rio
wrote:

1. You were told how to save your actions once before. SO, here it is again:

Saving and loading actions

Actions are automatically saved to the Actions Palette folder in the Adobe Photoshop or Adobe ImageReady CS Settings folder. If this file is lost or removed, the actions you created are lost. You can save your actions to a separate actions file so that you can recover them if necessary. You can also load a variety of action sets that are shipped with Photoshop (Photoshop).

Note: The default location of the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder varies by operating system. Use your operating system’s Find command to locate this folder.

To save a set of actions:

1. Select a set.
2. Choose Save Actions from the Actions palette menu.
3. Type a name for the set, choose a location, and click Save.

ok, I see now, I didn’t have a set selected, this is why I couldn’t see "save actions" item in palette flyout menu… thank you very much.. Frances

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections