E
Posted By
eXalt
May 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have photoshop cs.8, and have been using it regularily over the past few weeks. however when i started my computer up today, and tried to load it up it wouldnt. It would open the main photoshop window, but nothing would load. Just a grey background, and the top bit that says "Adobe Photoshop".
I also have imageready, and that is working fine ?!
I have reinstalled photoshop, with out re-activating, and that didnt work either. please help
eXalt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 8, 2004
hit the tab key, and possibly the "f" key….
B
BobLevine
May 8, 2004
And if that doesn’t work, trash your preferences. Details in the FAQs.

Bob
JJ
Joanne_Jackson
May 8, 2004
Hi Folks! I too am having the same problem with loading my project up that I am working on. CS starts up great but my project is taking 3min15seconds to load. The more I work on my project the longer it is taking to load. (I just tell my husband that I’m working too hard). I have deleted the pref files and this made no difference. Is this something I need to worry about or just go for another coffee while it loads up. I’m new to this and love how these programs work, so any tips would be most appreciated.

Thanking you very much in advance and have a great day!

Joanne Jackson
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 8, 2004
Maybe it’s just that the file is getting bigger and bigger and you don’t have enough RAM to cope so it will take longer to load. You might be able to improve things by increasing the memory allocated to Photoshop by going into Edit-Preferences-Memory and Image Cache.

Also have a look at the status bar at the bottom of the screen, click the little arrow and select scratch sizes. If the number on the left is larger than the number on the right when you have loaded the file, you don’t have enough RAM to work easily on the file.
JJ
Joanne_Jackson
May 8, 2004
Hello Mick: We were operating with 256MB of RAM and just today increased it to 1024MB. Thought that might be the problem. Allocation is 50% of RAM–the scratch left side is 857 and right side is 453 thus we are probably still short of RAM. The scratch is also on the same drive (C) as we only have one hard drive. I have multiple layers on my project which I keep locked (cause I’m learning) and the file size is 6.94MB. So I guess this means I should go for coffee and maybe not work so hard. Thought we increased the RAM enough but guess not. Maybe we should have put in two 1024’s instead of two 512’s? Any more thoughts you have would be very helpful. Thanking you again in advance and thank you so much for all your help.

Joanne Jackson
ND
Nick_Decker
May 8, 2004
Hi Joanne,

You have more than enough RAM to work on a 6.94MB file.

I’ll let others who are smarter than me tell you what your problem might be. Good luck, though.

Nick
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 8, 2004
Well you certainly have enough RAM for a 7Mb file. I would up the RAM to about 80% or more as a matter of course unless you are running a lot of other programs at the same time.

I guess the first question is: is it only this file that is slow to open. If it is, then it is something about the file itself? It’s odd that the scratch size is so large for such a small file. I know CS allocates a large initial scratch but that is enormous. Is that the file size in Explorer? What have you got in the layers?

A further thought. Have you upped the Windows Page File size since installing the new RAM. If not, assuming WinXP, right click My Computer, Advanced Tab, then Performance Settings, then Advanced Tab again, then Change and change your Virtual Memory setting to about 1.5 to 2 X 1024.
JJ
Joanne_Jackson
May 9, 2004
Hello Mick: We have tried opening other files and they open fast. Yes we use WinXP and virtual memory is at 1500. We notice an error message when opening file which reads: some layers may need to be updated before they will work in vector base-the two choices are no or update. I’ve always clicked on no because that’s what I was told to do(from someone?). We tried clicking update and saving the file. Now when we open the file we don’t get the error message and the file loads up quickly (30seconds). We still have a scratch of 853 thus it must be in the file. We have copied and pasted from PDF files into my project-could that be the problem? (I’m working on making a website) and all that’s in the layers are one small graphic and half a page of text and my template which is some color, text and a graphic. I’ve made it in about 26 or so folders as I’m putting the majority of it into Dreamweaver in frames.?.(My instructor will be helping me with this). I’m just finishing my course and wanted to have this completed so I still had a couple days of instruction. I’m starting to think I may have to start over again. Not looking forward to that but I sure don’t want it all to blow apart on me. This scratch thing has me concerned.
Anyways thanks again for all your help and in case you’re wondering I still have a white color chip instead of yellow. Thank you and I passed that along to my instructor–he’s going to include it in his next course on Photoshop/Dreamweaver (color mgmt).
Have a fantastic evening!
Joanne Jackson
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 9, 2004
Joanne, I think you should be ok. The problem is definitely with the file and not Photoshop. You should definitely have updated the file on opening (you could always save a back-up if you wanted to keep the original). I don’t know why you were told not to do so. Sounds like something to with fonts from the pdfs as CS needs to do some text updating the first time it opens files containing text from previous versions and presumably Acrobat as well. I don’t know much more. I use PS mostly for purely photographic work. Somebody else might be able to figure it out better than me. Best of luck. It’s way past evening here (2 AM)
JJ
Joanne_Jackson
May 9, 2004
Hi Mick: Thanks for getting back to me with all your help. I think everything will be fine as well. I’m wondering whether working off two computers (one at class and one at home) is effecting the scratch. At my course I’m using PS 7 and Windows ME, and at home I’m using PS CS with Windows XP. I’ve originally started my project at my course so maybe it is picking up two different formats or whatever. Anyways I won’t worry about it and I’ll keep going with my project. Also thanks for letting me know to update when I open the file. I was doing that before but somewhere along the line I was told differently. This is an amazing program and I’m looking forward to working with it. Thanks again for all your help.
Have a fantastic day!

Joanne Jackson

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections