TC
Posted By
tony cooper
Feb 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My question is for anyone that chooses to answer, but Mike seems to be the Curves boffin here.

My daughter is just starting out with Photoshop 7 and using it to edit her digital photographs. I’m reasonably proficient at this, but hardly an expert. She’ll send me a "thumb drive" (she lives in a different town) with some images on it and I’ll edit them, explain what I did, and give an exercise to do the same thing on another image and send the thumb drive back. She’s gradually learning to use the tools.

On the current project, I’m adjusting with Curves. Basically, I’m brightening part of the image that I made a selection, but Curves works better than the Brightness slider.

Here comes the question: How do I explain what Curves do? I can use Curves and get good results. I can look up tutorials on the web and find long and involved explanations. My daughter doesn’t need a long, technical explanation of x and y scales. It would work just to say "Bring up Curves, move the line until you like the results, and click OK". However, I’d like to provide a quickie basic description of what Curves do and why there are times you use them to brighten and why there are times you don’t.

Want to try it?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mike Russell
Feb 11, 2005
Tony Cooper wrote:
My question is for anyone that chooses to answer, but Mike seems to be the Curves boffin here.

Ahem. Well, here at the Curvemeister institute, it’s true, our curve scientists are hard at work experimenting, analyzing and building, to bring you the latest and best in curve technology. We’ve even got the Oompa Loompas working for us!

My daughter is just starting out with Photoshop 7 and using it to edit her digital photographs. I’m reasonably proficient at this, but hardly an expert. She’ll send me a "thumb drive" (she lives in a different town) with some images on it and I’ll edit them, explain what I did, and give an exercise to do the same thing on another image and send the thumb drive back. She’s gradually learning to use the tools.

This is a great way to learn.

On the current project, I’m adjusting with Curves. Basically, I’m brightening part of the image that I made a selection, but Curves works better than the Brightness slider.

It does indeed. Brightness and contrast operate by throwing away image data.

Here comes the question: How do I explain what Curves do? I can use Curves and get good results. I can look up tutorials on the web and find long and involved explanations. My daughter doesn’t need a long, technical explanation of x and y scales. It would work just to say "Bring up Curves, move the line until you like the results, and click OK".

Most people, myself included, try this, say "Yuck", and use Levels from then on. I didn’t get into curves at all until I read a book by Dan Margulis, and then the lightbulb turned on.

However, I’d like to provide a quickie basic description of what Curves do and why there are times you use them to brighten and why there are times you don’t.

In a nutshell, curves have simplicity and power. They allow you very fine control over the contrast and color of bright dark, and medium areas of the image, and they do so without having to understand any complex commands or tools.

Want to try it?

Well, I’ll punt on this one, as others have done this very well already. In my curves class I point my students to Naughty Steve’s description of what curves do. I doubt I could do a more effective job at introducing curves than him.

http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorial/curves/

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections