JH
Posted By
JC_Homola
May 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a print job that will be done by a commercial printer and they print at 300 LPI. My file is 300 DPI and actual print size.

I’m sooo confused on how to figure if this is large enough to print at 300 lpi.

Can anyone help me?
thank you

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PF
Peter_Figen
May 5, 2004
It depends on the content of the image, how large the image is, the type of screening used, the viewing distance, etc, but typically, you’re going to want at least a 1.3-1.5:1 ration or about 400-450 ppi in the file. You might want to consider lowering the l/s for this job or rescanning at a higher res if that’s not an option. If the image was shot with a digital camera and you have access to the unsharpened raw file, you might also be able to successfully rez it up.
JH
JC_Homola
May 5, 2004
Thank you, I’m new to this area, having worked mostly in images for the web and small graphics. The image is a combination of digital photographs, text and background added colour. It is a cover for a book that will be printed on glossy high quality stock.

I have it 300 dpi,9 x 12.5 inches which is the actual print size.

The printer wants 300 lpi 9 x 12.5 inches.

So do I need to increase the dpi to 450 if possible, to meet this requirement?

I really appreciate the help.
May 5, 2004
I have it 300 dpi,9 x 12.5 inches which is the actual print size.
The printer wants 300 lpi 9 x 12.5 inches.

Are you sure you’re not getting the terminology mixed up? Printers do not usually ask for artwork at a particular linescreen, unless you are in fact providing screened film.

If you are simply supplying layout files/images then the linescreen is normally taken care of by whoever is outputting your film/plates, in which case you want the resoltuion of your images to be 1.5 – 2 times the linescreen that the film/plates will be output.
JH
JC_Homola
May 5, 2004
Well,, I’m not sure. Like I said this is new territory for me. The publisher told me the printer works at 300 lpi. And I have no way to contact the printer (who is in Korea) to clarify.

No, I’m not supply film.. just the base art work file.

So,is 300dpi enough information for a printer to create the 300 lpi file to work with?

I’ll get hold of the publisher again.

Thanks
L
LenHewitt
May 5, 2004
JC,

You really need to get confirmation from the printer – 300lpi is a VERY fine linescreen indeed. 200 lpi is normally considered adequate for fine-art printing
JH
JC_Homola
May 5, 2004
OK,, thank you all so much.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 5, 2004
And most are 150 max, even "coffeetable book" quality.

My guess is that the printer is trying to communicate that they require the pix at 300ppi ("dpi") at actual usage size.

Mac
JH
JC_Homola
May 5, 2004
that’s what I was starting to think and it was a language problem thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections