DD
Posted By
Daniel_D_Holmes
May 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
System Windows XP/Home Edition with 2 ghz processor and 1.5 gb of memory. I process 200 mbyte files. Here’s a history of memory usage for one process. The numbers will be total memory in use in megabytes.
Start 211; load CS 447; load image 674; add layer 675; add gradient to right side of image 1060; add gradient ot bottom 1310; add gradient to left side 1310 (disc cache was used since it took more than 4 minutes to do this task);close image 1290. At this point CS was the only task I had open and CS had no images in it. I minimized CS 1290. At this time I opened Picture Window Pro 3.5 (PWP) 1330; open image in PWP 1470;opened second image 1650; opened third image 1860. Note that PWP is forced to use the disc even for the first image. Close all images in PWP 1310; close PWP 1290. Note that CS is still holding on to 1290 megabytes of RAM and that PWP did not have access to any of it. Close CS 211.

Perhaps there is a switch I have overlooked and I can change how CS manages in use memory. I have limited CS to 80% of the 1410 mbytes available but this is not the problem. The problem as described above is that once CS grabs on to some memory it will not release it to the system when it is no longer needed thus it no longer available to other tasks until CS is closed.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JG
John_Gregson
May 5, 2004
Assuming that you have a paging file, no matter how much memory that CS uses, Windows XP will take back real memory and page CS to disk should another program require any memory. There are two types of memory to consider, the first is physical hardware memory, and the second is virtual memory. One can assume that virtual memory = physical memory + pagefile.sys.

CS has no control over whether memory is returned to the system or not, Windows XP will take it if it needs it or if it decides another program needs it.
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2004
CS has no control over whether memory is returned to the system or not,

not sure that’s true… cs may very well hold onto memory up to the point you allocate in prefrences. i think that’s what chris cox has said in the past…
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
PWP can allocate whatever it wants – regardless of what Photoshop is using, as mentioned by John Gregson.

But if Photoshop released memory every time you closed an image, it would run considerably slower. That’s part of why there is a limit in preferences.

Also, this has been discussed before.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections