WC
Posted By
william_craft
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best way to a stroke a path to get a smooth line instead of a scalloped looking edge. I’ve done it before but I cannot remember how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

billy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 4, 2004
Iยดd convert the path to a shape, add a Stroke Layer Effect, turn Fill opacity down to 0.
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 4, 2004
While Mathias’ suggestion is exactly what I would do, you can still use your stroke method.

To get rid of the scalloped shape, change the spacing on the brush you are stroking it with down to 1-2%. That should fix it.
MM
Mike_Marketello
May 5, 2004
Hmmmm stroke layer effect? Convert path to shape, are these PS7 techs?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 5, 2004
sure.
WC
william_craft
May 5, 2004
Thanks for the help. The original problem was found to be operator error (D’OH!). Using a default brush to stroke the path gave me the scalloped effect. When I loaded the square brushes and stroked the path without simulating pressure using the pencil it came out fine.

I appreciate all the help.

billy
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 5, 2004
Hi William,

Glad you got it sorted. ‘My’ way of doing it though, ensures a vector outline that can be scaled and manipulated endlessly, and output at any resolution. Stroking with pixels does not contain these possibilities.
DH
Donna_H_Peterson
May 13, 2004
PS 7.0 Win 2000
How do I stroke a path? I’ve drawn a line with the pen tool (2 points) the layer appears as a shape layer, a path is created, yet "stroke path" is not an allowed option from the path palette. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Donna
L
LenHewitt
May 13, 2004
Donna,

That’s because you have created a Shape Layer and not a Path. To create a Path you need to select the centre of the three icons in the Options Bar
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 14, 2004
…. But you can still use my original suggestion: Layer Effects Stroke. ๐Ÿ™‚
PG
Paul_Godney
May 15, 2004
Use Illustrator!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections