A
Posted By
aloneatlast
Jun 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
You may have read the New Yorker article about the retoucher of models, Pascal Dangin.

My question concerns the photos the New Yorker included in the piece, that show his skill. They can be seen here:

http://models.com/feed/?p=359

The idea is the bottom photo is the original, the top is retouched.

Here’s the thing: it appears to me that it is the top that is the original, and the bottom the retouched version– in other words, it looks like Dangin made the model LESS perfect.

Note the carry of the arm, the position of the hand, finger length; how the light in the bottom "original" seems to hit her arm and butt from top right and a little out of the page, yet the face is dark.

It may be some retouching was done in both photos.

I would not put this past Dangin, if it’s true. But I’m hoping I can get some people more expert than me to weigh in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LL
Leo Lichtman
Jun 26, 2008
"aloneatlast" wrote: (clip)it appears to me that it is the top that is the
original, and the bottom the retouched version– in other words, it looks like Dangin made the model LESS perfect. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagree. These are the improvements I see in the upper version:

1.) Her hair has much better light.
2.) The tan line on her behind, left by a bikini, has been very much softened.
3.) The facial lighting has been improved.
4.) Dark spots on the carpet, which look like dirt, have had contrast reduced.
5.) The overexposed white area on her arm has been improved.
6.) The outline of her left hip, in the original, has an unsightly bump,
which has been fixed.
7.) The overall contrast of the photo has been matched better to the white/black limits of a good print.
K
KatWoman
Jun 26, 2008
"aloneatlast" wrote in message
You may have read the New Yorker article about the retoucher of models, Pascal Dangin.

My question concerns the photos the New Yorker included in the piece, that show his skill. They can be seen here:

http://models.com/feed/?p=359

The idea is the bottom photo is the original, the top is retouched.
Here’s the thing: it appears to me that it is the top that is the original, and the bottom the retouched version– in other words, it looks like Dangin made the model LESS perfect.

Note the carry of the arm, the position of the hand, finger length; how the light in the bottom "original" seems to hit her arm and butt from top right and a little out of the page, yet the face is dark.
It may be some retouching was done in both photos.

I would not put this past Dangin, if it’s true. But I’m hoping I can get some people more expert than me to weigh in.

Any help would be appreciated.

my opinion >>not the same exact frame
one from same series
J
John
Jun 26, 2008
KatWoman wrote:

one from same series

Yep, that’s for certain.

And, IMHO, the photographer’s work is sloppy as hell. Downright friggin unacceptable. Never would have got away with that thirty years ago. Does anyone do PHOTOGRAPHY anymore?
K
KatWoman
Jun 26, 2008
"John" wrote in message
KatWoman wrote:

one from same series

Yep, that’s for certain.

And, IMHO, the photographer’s work is sloppy as hell. Downright friggin unacceptable. Never would have got away with that thirty years ago. Does anyone do PHOTOGRAPHY anymore?

100% agreed, sloppy set, poorly lit

I also thought those anorexic babes were history too, check out those hip-bones you could poke yer eye out!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections