JW
Posted By
j_wells
Apr 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
printing to an HP 5000ps suddenly a white background represents as beige on the printed page. using the eyedropper tool to verify the background is indeed white. i have eliminated the printer as a suspect by successfully printing the image from another app. any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
jeff

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 30, 2004
Jeff,

Since your printer did test out OK, the problem is most likely your color workspace. Review the settings and ensure they are correct for your needs (such as Adobe RGB 1998 as the working profile), and rerun the Adobe Gamma calibration to ensure your monitor profile is proper for your current monitor settings. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Regards,

Daryl
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Apr 30, 2004
IMO, it´s an issue of multiple profile applications.
I would delete all profiles in images and tell the
printer explicitly the source profile (e.g. sRGB)
and the destination profile (actual printer, if available).

White RGB=255/255/255 or CMYK = 0/0/0/0 as measured by
eyedropper says that the file content means WHITE.

Daryl:
IMO the eyedropper doesn´t indicate the values as sent to the monitor. It (he?) shows the file values.
But nowadays one cannot ever be sure about anything …

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
JW
j_wells
Apr 30, 2004
well, the eyedropper tool does indicate white: full bit count in rgb, and all zero in cmyk. we did try going into preferences and discarding the existing profile and using adobe 1998. same result.
JW
j_wells
Apr 30, 2004
here is the kicker: i can just log onto the workstation as administrator and print properly. i am sure it is a matter of one of the operators changing a setting, but after checking them point by point and matching settings my problem still exists. very strange. is there any chance that default gamma settings have been changed and saved as the same name? if so, are these settings held separate for different user profiles?

thanks,
jeff
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 30, 2004
settings held separate for different user profiles?

Yes.
Most all system settings are.
Even in Win9x, but especially in W2K and XP.

Mac
L
LenHewitt
Apr 30, 2004
Jeff,

i can just log onto the workstation as administrator and print properly.
<<

Sure sign of a ‘duff’ prefs file (each user has their own).

Delete the offender – details in the FAQ at the top of this forum’s Topic List
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
May 1, 2004
Several changes may cause color shifts:

1. Printer profile
2. Rendering Intent
3. Paper white correction (if explicitly available)
4. Black point compensation

3. and 4. are often implicitly defined by the rendering
intent (there is no evidence which internal settings are really valid). Trial and error, but it´s better to use
always Rendering Intent Relative.

Because white is white by numbers neither the RGB working space nor the monitor profile is relevant.
For further tests a soft proof might be helpful.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
JW
j_wells
May 3, 2004
len, you got it. i followed the points in the faq like you suggested and it worked just as advertised. thanks all. much appreciated.

jeff
L
LenHewitt
May 3, 2004
You’re very welcome, Jeff

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections