CB
Posted By
Captain Blammo
Jan 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to select a section of the levels graph? If so, can it be done with feathering? I’d like to be able to take an image and only make a certain range of values visible, with pixels falling outside the selected value range becoming transparent so that lower layers show through.

I’m using Photoshop 7, but if there are ways that can only be done using CS, please do let me know.

Thanks for any info

CB

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mike Russell
Jan 27, 2005
Captain Blammo wrote:
Is it possible to select a section of the levels graph? If so, can it be done with feathering? I’d like to be able to take an image and only make a certain range of values visible, with pixels falling outside the selected value range becoming transparent so that lower layers show through.

I’m using Photoshop 7, but if there are ways that can only be done using CS, please do let me know.

Hi Captain,

Yes – use layer blending options, and set the ranges to select the pixel ranges you want.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
CB
Captain Blammo
Jan 27, 2005
Yes – use layer blending options, and set the ranges to select the pixel ranges you want.

I can’t see any way of feathering when doing this. A value either blends or doesn’t blend, which causes a couple of problems. Is there any way to add a range that blends with a varying gradient of opacities from 100% down to 0%?

Ewan
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 28, 2005
Captain Blammo wrote:

I can’t see any way of feathering when doing this. A value either blends or doesn’t blend, which causes a couple of problems. Is there any way to add a range that blends with a varying gradient of opacities from 100% down to 0%?

There is. Press the Alt key (cmd on Mac) and you can split the triangles in half, defining a range.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
CB
Captain Blammo
Jan 28, 2005

There is. Press the Alt key (cmd on Mac) and you can split the triangles
in
half, defining a range.

Perfect! Thanks *very* much!

CB
CB
Captain Blammo
Feb 1, 2005
I can’t see any way of feathering when doing this. A value either blends
or
doesn’t blend, which causes a couple of problems. Is there any way to add
a
range that blends with a varying gradient of opacities from 100% down to
0%?
There is. Press the Alt key (cmd on Mac) and you can split the triangles
in
half, defining a range.

I don’t suppose there’s any way to apply these blend settings selectively, is there? I’ve found this very useful, but am now finding that I only want to apply it to certain areas of the image.

So far I’ve only been able to solve the problem by pasting sections that I didn’t want modified into another layer, or using a layer mask to reveal them, but it seems a bit cumbersome.

Thanks again

CB
MR
Mike Russell
Feb 1, 2005
Captain Blammo wrote:
There is. Press the Alt key (cmd on Mac) and you can split the triangles in half, defining a range.

I don’t suppose there’s any way to apply these blend settings selectively, is there? I’ve found this very useful, but am now finding that I only want to apply it to certain areas of the image.
So far I’ve only been able to solve the problem by pasting sections that I didn’t want modified into another layer, or using a layer mask to reveal them, but it seems a bit cumbersome.

The only other control I can think of is using individual channels to control the blend. If there is some characteristic of the upper image, such as color, that might do the job. Otherwise, your solutions of using a mask or paste-over seem to be about right.

I bet Peadge will have a good idea 🙂

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections