S
Posted By
Savageduck
Apr 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying the 15 day evaluation for the Tiffen Dfx filter plugin, http://www.tiffen.com and it seems to provide enough reasonable quick fix solutions to do away with glass filters such as ND & color GRADS, Polarizers, and many others.

I was curious if others here have tried or use Dfx, and any opinions as to value given the cost $299.99 for the Complete Edition, and $159.99 for the Select Edition. If this is a viable means of doing away with physical filters, it could amount to an enormous saving.

Regards,

Savageduck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Roberto
Apr 20, 2008
Interesting package but does not do away with the need for a polarizer filter. Anyone can darken an image, but right now you can reduce flare with software it is strictly an optical things done at the time of image capture with a polarizer.

John
P
Pico
Apr 21, 2008
"Savageduck" wrote in message
I am trying the 15 day evaluation for the Tiffen Dfx filter plugin, http://www.tiffen.com and it seems to provide enough reasonable quick fix solutions to do away with glass filters such as ND & color GRADS, Polarizers, and many others.

It does not do a polarizing filter, even if it says it does.
S
Savageduck
Apr 21, 2008
On 2008-04-20 15:41:09 -0700, "Robert Barnett" said:

Interesting package but does not do away with the need for a polarizer filter. Anyone can darken an image, but right now you can reduce flare with software it is strictly an optical things done at the time of image capture with a polarizer.

John

All true, however there are times in the field when there is no opportunity to use a polarizer, or it is in a bag in a car, and the image is there to be captured, or lost. It is at such times that a software fix is good to have available regardless of how nice it is to get things right in camera.

Naturally the software fix is not going to replace a physical polarizing filter in fixing window reflections and such.

Also, creating a polarizing effect in CS is not just a case of darkening an image or adjusting a hue. Having a set of easily varied parameters to make an acceptable correction.

Polarizers aside, the package has a number of interesting filters to add to the creative quiver.

I have several actions which have served me well for some corrections in the past. Now I find this software solution adaptable, quick and convenient. This of course not a perfect solution, just another tool in the digital darkroom.

Regards,

Savageduck
S
Savageduck
Apr 21, 2008
On 2008-04-20 18:31:00 -0700, "Pico" <pico at idrailogid.ten> said:

I understand this cannot replace a physical polarizing filter. Once the linear light has entered the lens unpolarized the deed is done. However there are images which can benefit from the visual effect of applying a correction in post processing when a polarizer was not used, was unavailable in the field.

These effects can be obtained by applying various hue, temp, grad and other adjustments and saved as action. The problem is regardless of PS/CS having the ability to make these corrections, they are hit and miss and time-consuming to create. The packaged software solutions can save time in fixing or improving images created without the benefit of physical filters.

It seems to me these are just another tool to use in the digital darkroom.

Regards,

Savageduck
R
Roberto
Apr 21, 2008
What it comes down to is what effect that a polarizer offers do you want. If you want reflection reduction no software is going to do that post process. If you want to darken a light sky no problem and you certainly don’t need to spend big bucks on the Tiffen product provided you know how to use Photoshop. So for me at least there needs to be much more that the Tiffen product does in order to make it worth while. Most of the old photographic filters that you put on lenses are easier to do post process in Photoshop with a whole lot more control.

Also, there are other products that offer the polarizer darken effect. Nik Color Efex and OnSoftware’s Photo Tools are two that I know of. Both not cheap, but both offer much more than just that.

John
K
KatWoman
Apr 21, 2008

I understand this cannot replace a physical polarizing filter. Once the linear light has entered the lens unpolarized the deed is done. However there are images which can benefit from the visual effect of applying a correction in post processing when a polarizer was not used, was unavailable in the field.

These effects can be obtained by applying various hue, temp, grad and other adjustments and saved as action. The problem is regardless of PS/CS having the ability to make these corrections, they are hit and miss and time-consuming to create. The packaged software solutions can save time in fixing or improving images created without the benefit of physical filters.

Regards,

Savageduck

I am not a fan of plug- ins
most of the adjustments are easily made in PS
if you know the program

plug-ins are for lazy or unknowledgeable users
why pay money for tools you already have?

most plug ins are not that good either
after looking at their examples I thought most of the befores were better than the afters
S
Savageduck
Apr 22, 2008
On 2008-04-21 12:25:33 -0700, "KatWoman" said:

Regards,

Savageduck

if you know the program

after looking at their examples I thought most of the befores were better than the afters

Strangely enough I was thinking just that myself.
J
Joe
Apr 22, 2008
"KatWoman" wrote:

Regards,

Savageduck

if you know the program

I too don’t like plug-in. I used to install just about any plug-in I can get my hand on, and used it/them to show off some special effect. And years later I still didn’t know much about Photoshop, and can’t even master some plug-in (cus most of them are very limited). Then I decided NO MORE plug-in and my Photoshop skill has improved more and lot quicker than wasting time on plug-in.

Also, I work on quality photo and most Before/After samples of many plug-ins look so horrible for my taste <bg>
R
Roberto
Apr 22, 2008
Plug-ins have their uses, but there are a lot crap ones too. Craps ones being ones that do things that are quite easy to do in Photoshop once you know a little about the program. But, there are also others that do things that would be near impossible to do with what’s in Photoshop alone and then there are the ones that do things that can be done in Photoshop but would require a considerable amount of time. Only a fool would choose to spend an hour on something they could do just as easily with a plug-in in 2 minutes. So plug-ins have their uses, you just need to move past the crap. Most of the old filters can be done quite easily and quickly in Photoshop which leaves the Tiffen package especially considering its cost lacking considerably.

John
J
Joe
Apr 22, 2008
Sure, some plug-in’s can have some use and can be time saver. And in general plug-in just use Photoshop command so the chance that anything the plug-in does Photoshop should be able to do and do even better and more. Except that plug-in usually quicker and simpler to use.
R
Roberto
Apr 22, 2008
Most plug-ins yes. But not all.

John
S
Savageduck
Apr 23, 2008
On 2008-04-22 08:33:42 -0700, "John Hunly" said:

John

Going through the batch of filters & effects provided by Tiffen in the 15 day trial period, there seem to be a handful which would be difficult and time consuming to replicate with PS.
Most of the rest are glorified action sets. It is difficult to justify the cost of the entire package for the minimal benefit (and rare use) promised.

I am still curious to find if others have actually tried, or use the Tiffen Dfx product, and get their opinion if there is some value I have missed.

Regards,

Savageduck
R
Roberto
Apr 23, 2008
I have it but don’t use it. There isn’t anything there that I either can’t do myself or I don’t have access to from another more innovative product. I think one of Tiffen’s problem is that they thought people were frothing at the bit for old time filter effects. They didn’t realize that most people don’t use them as they look so so at best and then they messed up with the price. It just isn’t a really worthwhile package. I have been happier with Nik Software’s Color Efex package. The new package with the u-point technology for being able to control the application of the effect is just brilliant, makes the software truly useful. Having to create masks manually to apply such effects would be time consuming.

John
S
Savageduck
Apr 23, 2008
On 2008-04-22 18:28:23 -0700, "John Hunly" said:

I have it but don’t use it. There isn’t anything there that I either can’t do myself or I don’t have access to from another more innovative product. I think one of Tiffen’s problem is that they thought people were frothing at the bit for old time filter effects. They didn’t realize that most people don’t use them as they look so so at best and then they messed up with the price. It just isn’t a really worthwhile package.

OK. That is pretty much my feeling as well.
Thanks for the confirming opinion.

Savageduck
J
Joe
Apr 23, 2008
Savageduck wrote:

On 2008-04-22 08:33:42 -0700, "John Hunly" said:

John

Going through the batch of filters & effects provided by Tiffen in the 15 day trial period, there seem to be a handful which would be difficult and time consuming to replicate with PS.
Most of the rest are glorified action sets. It is difficult to justify the cost of the entire package for the minimal benefit (and rare use) promised.

I am still curious to find if others have actually tried, or use the Tiffen Dfx product, and get their opinion if there is some value I have missed.

Regards,

Savageduck

It can be true depending on how much you know about Photoshop, or Plug-in and Action usually don’t do anything Photoshop itself can, but they just send a combination commands to do thing may require multiple commands/steps.

And I know for sure the plug-in can do and do good is taking you much longer to learn Photoshop which you should spend more time to learn Photoshop instead of learning to use the plug-in.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections