KJ
Posted By
Kevin_Jacobs
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I’ve been using Photoshop on a large-format project for about two months now, and my files have gotten to be very large. One of them had gotten to be almost 2GB. At that point I decided to save my next set of changes as a copy. The copy was 2.08 GB and did not open the next time that I tried to open it. Now I’ve got three of them saved, all over 2 GB, and none of them open, including the original. The only other version I have is around 1.3 GB and contains all of the broad shapes but none of the finer detail that I had added since.

Has anyone had this type of problem with Photoshop before? And if you solved it, how?

If it matters…

I’m using v 6.0 on a Windows XP Pro OS
scratch disk D:\ (library, contains the files in question) has 75 GB free space second scratch disk C:\ (contains another copy, which also won’t open) has 50 GB free space 640 MB RAM

Any suggestions/answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KJ
Kevin_Jacobs
Apr 22, 2004
Oh, yeah.. When I try to open these files I don’t get any error messages. Instead it opens up the new document dialog box, like I was starting a new file.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
Bottom line is you’re pretty much out of luck. This problem has been fixed in PS CS with the creation of a new file format for files over 2 gigs.

Bob
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
AFAIK, that’s correct.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 22, 2004
But CS still wouldn’t open a PSD or TIF that’s over 2GB, right?

Mac
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 22, 2004
Mac – in some cases PSCS can open PSDs that are over 2 Gigs. And in most cases it can open TIFFs that are over 2 Gigs (but under the 4 Gig limit of TIFF).
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 22, 2004
In that case, it might be a good idea for the OP to download the demo of CS to see if that can open the files.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 22, 2004
Ah, thankee for that info, Chris.

I’m still with 7.0 and 98SE…
Although I have CS upgrade already on shelf for my next machine.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 22, 2004
Absolutely..

Also, to OP, at one time in the past I fooled around with IrfanView and large file sizes. It would open images with more than 30K pixels in one dimension (up to some cap that I found), but I can’t remember if it would do >2GB.

Worth a try. (iview doesn’t do layers, though).

Mac
KJ
Kevin_Jacobs
Apr 23, 2004
OK, I downloaded the CS demo and it works. Now I’ve just got to come up with $600 to buy the real thing :/
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 23, 2004
No, you don’t. You just need to come up with $169.00 for an upgrade version.

In the mean time, get those files under 2 megs and resave them.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections