MS
Posted By
Mike_Schoaf
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When creating a new document is there a benefit to 16Bit mode vs 8Bit? I understand you will have more information in the document, but is, for example, a printed piece going to show a big difference?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 21, 2004
No, I doubt that a hard copy would show any difference. One advantage to 16-bit, that I’m aware of, is that you can do more pixel editing in Photoshop without permanently losing information and degrading the image.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 21, 2004
Histograms prove your premise.
Human eyeballs prove there’s seldom a difference.

Mac
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 21, 2004
Mac – no, human eyeballs prove that there can be a significant difference.
KS
Ken_Storch_(aka_photon)
Apr 21, 2004
There is definitely an advantage to 16bit in the image editing. The results of this advantage can be visible in the output given good crafting.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Apr 21, 2004
Chris,

Please expand on your comments.

How can one get pixel values greater than 255 when using 16 bits?

Thanks,
RON C
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 21, 2004
Ron – huh? That question makes no sense.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 21, 2004
I think what Ron wants to know is how to access all 16 bit numerical data in (say) the info palette or with colour selection etc…
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Apr 21, 2004
Chris,

"Human eyeballs prove that there can be a significant difference."

What type of differences have you seen with 16 vs 8 bit processing.

If I input an image as 8 bit how can I scale it to use the full 16 bits after transferring to 16. I know that nothing is gained in the transfer but the processing after should have less rounding effects.

RON C
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 21, 2004
Ronald – many: especially more shadow and hilight detail, and much more detail after making adjustments.

When you convert an 8 bit image to 16 bits, it gets scaled to the full range – but it can’t have more than 256 levels of real information because it started out with only 256 levels of information.

Rene – in the info palette options, enable the 16 bit option. And there is no way to enter 16 bit numbers in the color palette or color picker (the UI confused too many people). But you can always sample colors with the eyedropper.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 22, 2004
I said "seldom" and I’ll stick by it.

Mac
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Apr 22, 2004
What are the negative impacts of converting from 16bit to 8bit?

When is the best time in the workflow to make the conversion?

For example: I convert a RAW file to 16bit for cleanup and manipulation to retain the highest possible quality. At some point, I need to convert to 8 bit mode. Certain filters, processes, etc. don’t work with 16 bit. 8bit file size is also preferrable for archiving.

Although the quality doesn’t seem to degrade significantly, I don’t want to waste the benefits of 16bit depth by converting at the wrong time.

Thanks,

Marshall
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 22, 2004
When is the best time in the workflow to make the conversion?

Just before printing/sending to the service bureau (and keep your working copy at 16bit)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections