Posted By
Benny
Dec 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image of size 300mm x 200mm.
I also have a white canvas of 300mm x 200mm.
I want to cut a random section of the image out (eg 40mm x 15mm) and paste it onto the white canvas at exactly the same position as I cut it from within the image. The size of the cut-out will remain at 40mm x 15mm on the white canvas.
What would be the best way to do this?
thanks for any suggestions
Benny

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Benny
Dec 22, 2007
"Benny" <no spam > wrote in message
I want to cut a random section of the image out (eg 40mm x 15mm) and paste it onto the white canvas at exactly the same position as I cut it from within the image. The size of the cut-out will remain at 40mm x 15mm on the white canvas.
Benny

Just found this on the net
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Adobe-Photoshop-1028/good-ol-cut- paste.htm Seems to cover what I am after.

Quote: "If you want the selection in the middle of the screen, do Cut and Paste; if you want it to appear in the same place as the layer from which it was cut, do New Layer Via Cut or Copy".

The extra bit of info that is missing is that after doing the Layer via Copy you then right-click the new layer and select ‘duplicate’. Then in the resulting dialogue box select the image from the dropdown that you want the selection to move to.

If you know any other ways please let me know.

regards
Benny
LV
l v
Dec 22, 2007
Benny wrote:
Benny

Just found this on the net
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Adobe-Photoshop-1028/good-ol-cut- paste.htm Seems to cover what I am after.

Quote: "If you want the selection in the middle of the screen, do Cut and Paste; if you want it to appear in the same place as the layer from which it was cut, do New Layer Via Cut or Copy".

The extra bit of info that is missing is that after doing the Layer via Copy you then right-click the new layer and select ‘duplicate’. Then in the resulting dialogue box select the image from the dropdown that you want the selection to move to.

If you know any other ways please let me know.

regards
Benny

I find it simpler to make your selection, then Ctrl-J (Windows) which makes a new layer with the selection in the original position. Then if you want to copy the new layer to another image, shift-drag it to the other image.

Len
J
jjs
Dec 22, 2007
I want to cut a random section of the image out (eg 40mm x 15mm) and paste it onto the white canvas at exactly the same position as I cut it from within the image.

Simple: Select, Control-J

If you make several different layers and want to automate the creation of single layer images from each layer, then see File, Scripts.

If copying to a second canvas, then shift-drag to maintain position.
B
Benny
Dec 22, 2007
"jjs" <john> wrote in message
I want to cut a random section of the image out (eg 40mm x 15mm) and paste it onto the white canvas at exactly the same position as I cut it from within the image.

Simple: Select, Control-J

If you make several different layers and want to automate the creation of single layer images from each layer, then see File, Scripts.
If copying to a second canvas, then shift-drag to maintain position.

Thanks Len and jjs – I was hoping there would be a quicker method Benny

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections