Posted By
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi !

I am trying to use the Text Tool to input chinese fonts into my design. But even after reinstalling Photoshop 10 with CMap support and additional fonts, I still can’t get it right ! I still get ‘????????’ instead of the proper chinese font. There is no ‘Chinese’ under the text language window option either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My sincere thanks in advance.

Sott

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 18, 2004
There is no Photoshop 10 (and won’t be for a while yet).

What version of Photoshop are you using?

What typefaces have you tried?

Are you typing in the text, or pasting it in from another application?
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 18, 2004
its photoshop 7, sorry. i tried pasting from ms word. typefaces, most of the chinese ones that i have (including generic microsoft ones : sim sun, MS Hei, MS Song – all from windows). have also tried normal latin fonts. nothing works so far
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 18, 2004
I’ll have to get Scott to answer this. I think I recall him complaining about some Unicode bugs dealing with MS Office products….

Have you tried selecting a Chinese typeface and typing directly in Photoshop?
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 19, 2004
have tried another method, which is to install NJ Star Communicator, invoked the chinese input function and typed it straight it. it worked ! all settings are still at default.

but i still wonder if adobe can do this on its own. i couldn’t get it to work in illustrator 10 also.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 19, 2004
Photoshop should be able to do this with the OS supplied input methods (on both platforms). In fact, we recommend against using third party IME’s because we’ve had so much trouble with them.
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 19, 2004
ok, what would the normal steps to get this working be ? during the installation or after ?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 19, 2004
…but i still wonder if adobe can do this on its own. i couldn’t get it to work in illustrator 10 also.

Illustrator 10 does not have the level of support for Unicode nor for Windows IME’s that Photoshop has had for several versions now. Illustrator 11 (CS) is a different story, I’m told.

I have no trouble copying and pasting Japanese and Chinese text from MS Word into Photoshop 7.0.1. I can also input Japanese directly into Photoshop using Windows IME and KanjiKit (a third-party IME) in either Windows 98SE or Windows XP Pro.

My Photoshop and Windows are all U.S. English versions.

I wish I could offer more help, Yew, but without more information about your setup I’m at a loss.

=-= Harron =-=
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 19, 2004
basically, its a custom setup, i made sure i installed CMAP and the asian fonts file. tried copying without using any third party software but it gave ‘????’ .. mine are US versions as well. i don’t see ‘chinese’ in the font tab’s ‘change language’ drop down menu.

i’ve never really tried inputting chinese inside, this is my first time doing it in both Photoshop and Illustrator, so it’s kinda tricky.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 19, 2004
Eight posts into this topic, and we still don’t know which version of Windows you are using, Yew.

Asian language support in U.S. English Windows has come a long way. Support in XP is fairly sophisticated… somewhat more primitive in Win98SE.

Help us help you.

=-= Harron =-=
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 19, 2004
haha i’m sorry, i am using Win XP Pro with all the bla bla bla service packs etc. i don’t have windows IME enabled.

pls help me 🙂
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 19, 2004
OK. Go to Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages | Details… and make sure Chinese is installed under Installed Services.

Reboot if prompted to do so.

Open a Word document with Chinese characters. Select some text then hit Ctrl-C (copy).

Open Clipbook Viewer and tell me what you see.

=-= Harron =-=
CD
Carol_Deuel
Apr 19, 2004
I input Chinese characters in Photoshop text layers by copying from Word docs or from the web. When you first place the text it will not display properly, but if you highlight the text (usually displays as little boxes) and then select a compatable font the Chinese text displays.

I use PMinglu for Chinese and Batang for Korean. Have not used any Japanses text, but I’m sure it would work the same. You can also copy and past from a Word doc text created in NJ Star. I have typed directly into Photoshop using NJ Star, but I found that to be problematic.

I’ve used this method both in Win 98 and W2K. I do have Asian language support installed in my current OS W2K.

I’ve read that a lot of people have problems copying from Word docs, both in PShop and Go Live, but so far I have not had any problems . . . knock on Wood!

Carol
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 19, 2004
When you first place the text it will not display properly…

It will if you choose the required font before pasting, Carol.

=-= Harron =-=
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 19, 2004
It’s better to pick the proper language font first – not only for the preview, but also so Photoshop can do some langauge specific conversions for certain characters (that don’t exist in other language fonts).
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 21, 2004
thanks for all the help, chris, harron and carol. just need to check out one more thing. is it normal that i don’t see ‘chinese’ in the font tab’s ‘change language’ drop down menu ?
CD
Carol_Deuel
Apr 23, 2004
It will if you choose the required font before pasting, Carol.

Just as easy to do it after the fact, unless one is pasting paragraphs of data, then it would be more logical your way.

Carol
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 23, 2004
is it normal that i don’t see ‘chinese’ in the font tab’s ‘change language’ drop down menu ?

Yew — If you’re referring to the dropdown menu at the lower left of the character palette, yes, that’s normal. The only thing that selects is the language for spellchecking and hyphenation. That’s why the choices are limited to roman languages.

Just as easy to do it after the fact…

Carol — Did you read Chris Cox’s post (a couple before your latest)? It would seem there’s more than convenience at issue here. I assure you Chris would not make this stuff up. (Click on his name.)

=-= Harron =-=
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Apr 24, 2004
thanks everyone 🙂
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Jun 28, 2004
ok, now i am stuck in illustrator (V.9). how can i place chinese fonts properly ? my source is from MS Word 2003, I am running Win XP with Chinese IME installed. what i have tried to do :

– copied chinese text from msword, invoked text tool in illus., paste it there, "?????" came up. i tried changing the font to ‘SimSun’- windows chinese IME font first, and paste again : it works to a certain extent; i.e. the fonts appear, but some of it does not

– copied from msword, pasted it in PS 7, everything displays nicely there, then i copy to Illus,, most words appear, but some comes up as numbers or symbols. when i highlight these rogue text, they show me default Roman fonts, tried changing them back to "SimSun", it does not work.

would just like to know if there is a more direct way to do this ?

thanks much,

Scott.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 28, 2004
LMY,

You really need to post this over at the Illustrator forum.

Quick answer: IL 11 (CS) is, reportedly, the first version to properly support Unicode and Windows IMEs. (I say reportedly because I am at IL 10.) Copying and pasting of Asian text from MS Word, in particular, has never worked reliably through IL 10.

I see an upgrade in your future.

=-= Harron =-=
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Jun 29, 2004
Hi,

Thanks for your answer, I posted the first question at the same time as I did with a similar situation I was facing with Photoshop, but no one answered that post previously.

I managed to get the PS 7 problem out of the way, now i am faced with the Illus 9 problem instead !

Would anyone have any solutions for this ? ie. copying / pasting / inputting chinese characters straight into Illus. from other applications ? How is this usually done ?

I am not too happy with not being able to find an easier method to do this, as I understand it was supposed to support CJK copy / paste / input easily ?

Hope someone can help shed some light.

Thanks !!

Scott
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 29, 2004
This is the Photoshop forum.
LM
Lim_Meng_Yew
Jun 29, 2004
ok its done. now will you happen to go over there and answer it ?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 29, 2004
Yup.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections