Posted By
BrianP
Jul 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I recently shot an event during a cloudy day and left my White Balance set to direct sunlight. All of the pictures are way too blue and all of the skin tones are miserable. Unfortunately, they were all JPGs, not NEFs so I can’t directly fix the Color Temperature.

The "Photoshop Professional" book says to convert the RGB to CMYK, use the eye dropper to pick the whitest point and set it to 5c, 2m, 2y. Set the darkest point to 80c, 70m, 70y, 70b. Set the caucasian skin tones to 6c, 30m, 35y. For a single picture which you can dedicate a lot of time to, this is not bad.

When you have 355 pictures which all need the same direct sunlight to cloudy white balance change, this would take all day.

I am experimenting with recording an action to read each image in a directory, and adjusts the color balance like this: move the blue midtones to -6 and the red midtones to +2. Then do the same for the highlights. I can’t figure out what to do with the greens!

This is kind of hit and miss, but it usually improves most of the images. Is there a better way to do this? I tried
Image->Adjustments->AutoColor, but it usually makes them worse.

Since I shot them at 5200 Kelvins, is there a formula or rule of thumb to convert them all to 6000 Kelvins? +800 Kelvins == blue high+mid -4, red high+mid -3, green high +1???

Thank you,

BrianP

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections