AR
Posted By
Al_R_Morrison
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all…hopefully someone has an easy answer to this: Just put in a 160gb additional hard drive on my machine and assigned it as my primary scratch disk in PS7, and set the secondary as my old drive which contains the PS7 program . However, whenever I start the program I get a message saying my primary scratch and windows primary paging file are on the same volume and can result in reduced performance. What’s up with that? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any insight into this.

Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
Apr 16, 2004
Al,

What am I doing wrong? <<

Well, it sounds as though you have also assigned that 160 bib drive to be the location of your windows pagefile as well as the Photoshop primary scratch…
AR
Al_R_Morrison
Apr 16, 2004
Thanks Len…but I guess my problem now is in identifying what the windows pagefile is and how do I change it? As far as I know, the only settings that were made with the installation of the additional drive was to make it the primary scratch drive for PS7.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 16, 2004
Al,

The exact procedure varies with Windows version, which you have not specified.

Open Windows help (F1 from the desktop) and search with keyphrase ‘virtual memory’.

=-= Harron =-=
AR
Al_R_Morrison
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks Harron…I’m running XP and I was able to find some info regarding turning off windows paging file, which I did. Only thing is, my RAM is 512 and the suggestions were to turn the paging off if you had more than 512. I’m new to PS7 and frankly don’t know if I should stick with the paging on, or if I’ll gain any appreciable speed with it off. Saw a lot of different forum discussions regarding pros and cons of the scratch disk feature and amounts of RAM. The more I know the more confusing it gets. Any insights are certainly welcome!

AL
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 17, 2004
You do not want to turn the paging file off completely. I think that Len was saying that you want to have the Windows paging file and the PS scratch disk on different physical disks, if possible.
AR
Al_R_Morrison
Apr 17, 2004
DS…that was my problem…I guess when the new hard drive was put in it became or was set as the paging disk, and I set it as the primary scratch disk in PS. Hopefully I have it set up properly now…I reassigned the paging to my original HD and the scratch disk to the new drive and PS opens w/o the primary/scratch conflict message. Fingers crossed…Thanks for all your help. BTW…any suggestions on proper or best size of paging files? I have it set for the reccomended 766mb.

Al
L
LenHewitt
Apr 17, 2004
Al,

any suggestions on proper or best size of paging files?<<

It depends upon how much RAM you have, but minimum paging file size == max size == 2x RAM. is a good suggestion.

See: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd05650

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections