Posted By
scorp
Oct 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m looking for a way to convert a 1 bit image (TIFF) to a graph, simply put, to collapse the bitmap image.

Lets say my bitmap image is 320 x 200, with a box around the edge 10 pixels wide, I’d like to end up with an image where the first 10 rows are full (as they were) and the next 300 rows with the bottom 20 pixels full (the 10 from the bottom of the box, plus the 10 from the top of the box), and the last 10 rows full again.

My purpose is to show coverage across the image to preset ink keys on the printing press. I’d probably want to compress this image down to match the throw on the ink keys.

Any way to do this in Photoshop easily.

Steve

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Oct 12, 2007
wrote in message
Hi,

I’m looking for a way to convert a 1 bit image (TIFF) to a graph, simply put, to collapse the bitmap image.

Lets say my bitmap image is 320 x 200, with a box around the edge 10 pixels wide, I’d like to end up with an image where the first 10 rows are full (as they were) and the next 300 rows with the bottom 20 pixels full (the 10 from the bottom of the box, plus the 10 from the top of the box), and the last 10 rows full again.

My purpose is to show coverage across the image to preset ink keys on the printing press. I’d probably want to compress this image down to match the throw on the ink keys.

I can think of two suggestions. One is to do this once manually, probably as a sequence of copy and paste operations, using guides to align the pieces, and finishing up with a crop operation. After rehearsing this a few times, record what you do to an action. You have several choices on how to re-use the action later, either within Photoshop, or by creating a droplet which will allow you to perform your recorded operation on one or more files, without explicitly starting Photoshop. You can also use Photoshop’s batch facility to apply the operation to one or more folders of images.

The second method uses slices. Again, start by manually slicing the image to include the ink keys. Select the slices you want and export the selected slices as files. You can record this operation, as before, or open subsequent images and drag them to a layer in your sliced image, then export the slices. This has the advantage that you can give the slice files meaningful names, and even organize the slices into a series of html documents for storage and sharing via the web.

It’s outside the scope of your question, but I should mention that a color or grayscale will probably give a more accurate rendering of the coverage than a bitmap.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
J
Joe
Oct 12, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

I can think of two suggestions. One is to do this once manually, probably as a sequence of copy and paste operations, using guides to align the pieces, and finishing up with a crop operation. After rehearsing this a few times, record what you do to an action. You have several choices on how to re-use the action later, either within Photoshop, or by creating a droplet which will allow you to perform your recorded operation on one or more files, without explicitly starting Photoshop. You can also use Photoshop’s batch facility to apply the operation to one or more folders of images.
The second method uses slices. Again, start by manually slicing the image to include the ink keys. Select the slices you want and export the selected slices as files. You can record this operation, as before, or open subsequent images and drag them to a layer in your sliced image, then export the slices. This has the advantage that you can give the slice files meaningful names, and even organize the slices into a series of html documents for storage and sharing via the web.

It’s outside the scope of your question, but I should mention that a color or grayscale will probably give a more accurate rendering of the coverage than a bitmap.

Hmmm I can’t get the picture of what the OP wants, so I am pretty much blind to follow your technique. Especially the term "droplet" and ‘slice" which I know what "droplet" and "slide" are, but with Photoshop then I am 1/2 blind and 1/2 deaf <bg>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections