FA
Posted By
Frank Arthur
Jun 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using CS3 with an Epson Stylus Photo R1800 & Windows XP Home. Working like a charm. Beautiful prints and still getting beautiful prints except a new problem appeared:
To make a print I go into Page Management, set up the defaults including setting ICM and checking Off(No color adjustment) then Print. All works fine.
When I click on another similar image to print all of the Page Management defaults that I set revert to their original settings so I now have to set all the defaults again- and have to do so every time I want to make another print.
Any suggestions?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JA
Jan Alter
Jun 24, 2007
"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
Using CS3 with an Epson Stylus Photo R1800 & Windows XP Home. Working like a charm. Beautiful prints and still getting beautiful prints except a new problem appeared:
To make a print I go into Page Management, set up the defaults including setting ICM and checking Off(No color adjustment) then Print. All works fine.
When I click on another similar image to print all of the Page Management defaults that I set revert to their original settings so I now have to set all the defaults again- and have to do so every time I want to make another print.
Any suggestions?
I believe that you would have default settings for the R1800 that would be reverting each time you go to a new image. You could change those default settings to the ones you are using most by going to the Control Panel and then Printers and Faxes and right clicking on the R1800 and then clicking on Properties. Setting ICM and checking off (No color adjustment) should then get you that everytime you go to a new image in Photoshop. You may also be aware that for the R1800 you can go to Custom Settings, set up your defaults and then save them under a name that you choose?

Jan Alter

or
FA
Frank Arthur
Jun 24, 2007
"Jan Alter" wrote in message
"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
Any suggestions?
I believe that you would have default settings for the R1800 that would be reverting each time you go to a new image. You could change those default settings to the ones you are using most by going to the Control Panel and then Printers and Faxes and right clicking on the R1800 and then clicking on Properties. Setting ICM and checking off (No color adjustment) should then get you that everytime you go to a new image in Photoshop.
You may also be aware that for the R1800 you can go to Custom Settings, set up your defaults and then save them under a name that you choose?

Jan Alter

or
Thank you Jan. You’ve been very helpful in settings at Printers & Faxes. Unfortunately in the R1800 Custom Settings the named defaults only last for a single print. Ie. I set up for 4×6 Glossy No Borders Vertical. Works fine. The next time I attempt to print an image the original defaults to 8 1/2 x 11 Plain Paper etc.
Any more magic in your repertoire?
B
babaloo
Jun 24, 2007
I believe it works this way so you will have to make decisions about how you want to print each image.
Adobe is not wrong to set it up this way.
Getting into the habit of checking the settings for the printer and for Photoshop can help to avoid mistakes.
What I would prefer would be that when you print using Photoshop color management the paper type selected in the printer driver is automatically set in the Photoshop paper profile selection. This is something I have more than once forgotten to change when changing papers.
Ultimately I think that the arbitrary changes made to the way you make prints in CS3 are no better than previous methods and as such are actually worse because you have to change ingrained habits for no gain.
R
Rob
Jun 25, 2007
Frank Arthur wrote:
Any suggestions?

There is a printer problem associated with CS3 which I believe Adobe are trying to sort out.

Someone suggested a work around on another group. If I can find it again Ill post it.
R
Rob
Jun 25, 2007
babaloo wrote:

I believe it works this way so you will have to make decisions about how you want to print each image.
Adobe is not wrong to set it up this way.
Getting into the habit of checking the settings for the printer and for Photoshop can help to avoid mistakes.
What I would prefer would be that when you print using Photoshop color management the paper type selected in the printer driver is automatically set in the Photoshop paper profile selection. This is something I have more than once forgotten to change when changing papers.
Ultimately I think that the arbitrary changes made to the way you make prints in CS3 are no better than previous methods and as such are actually worse because you have to change ingrained habits for no gain.

They are wrong, I can’t do two consective prints without it reverting to its own default.
FA
Frank Arthur
Jun 25, 2007
"Rob" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:
Any suggestions?

There is a printer problem associated with CS3 which I believe Adobe are trying to sort out.

Someone suggested a work around on another group. If I can find it again Ill post it.

Jan Alter has the answer and I put it to use in a practical manner. I copied my Printer from Printers & Faxes in Control Panel onto the desktop.Click on the Printer and in Preferences set up your options and save them under Save Setting.
Just remember to leave the setting for 8 1/2 x 11 Plain Paper and Portait Orientation when you are not printing Color Prints or other specialized papers.
Now if only Adobe has a way to keep the box checked in Scale to Fit Media on their print tab before printing. All the other check boxes allow the checked box except Scale to Fit Media.
Any ideas?
JM
John McWilliams
Jun 25, 2007
Frank Arthur wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:
Any suggestions?

Jan Alter has the answer and I put it to use in a practical manner. I copied my Printer from Printers & Faxes in Control Panel onto the desktop.Click on the Printer and in Preferences set up your options and save them under Save Setting.
Just remember to leave the setting for 8 1/2 x 11 Plain Paper and Portait Orientation when you are not printing Color Prints or other specialized papers.
Now if only Adobe has a way to keep the box checked in Scale to Fit Media on their print tab before printing. All the other check boxes allow the checked box except Scale to Fit Media.
Any ideas?
Yes. It’s generally a poor way to resize.

john mcwilliams
S
Steve
Jun 27, 2007
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:
Any suggestions?

Any ideas?

john mcwilliams

I’ve been told that, too. I don’t see how it makes a difference. Could you expand on that?

Steve
JB
John Boy
Jun 27, 2007
Steve wrote:

Scale to Fit Media

john mcwilliams

I’ve been told that, too. I don’t see how it makes a difference. Could you expand on that?

It is just fine for Post Script output, but letting the driver down-size raster images obviates the control you have to scale it yourself.
S
Steve
Jun 28, 2007
"John Boy" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

Scale to Fit Media

john mcwilliams

It is just fine for Post Script output, but letting the driver down-size raster images obviates the control you have to scale it yourself.

So the driver resizes the picture? Is that true in Photoshop and Lightroom when you print? I thought they did the scaling. Especially in Lightroom, where it is the PRINT module that scales the image(on screen anyway).

Steve
J
Jim
Jun 28, 2007
"Steve" wrote in message
"John Boy" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

Scale to Fit Media

john mcwilliams

So the driver resizes the picture? Is that true in Photoshop and Lightroom when you print? I thought they did the scaling. Especially in Lightroom, where it is the PRINT module that scales the image(on screen anyway).

Steve
The "size to fit the media" command goes directly to the driver. It makes no difference where the image originated.

Jim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections