R
Posted By
Roberto
May 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After a small rotation (e.g. 1 degree) and/or lens distortion correction, one usually wants to crop to exclude the empty/transparent area, so that the photo is rectangular again.

To do this, I manually position a crop region just large enough that none of the empty area is included. Usually, I first make a cropping rectangle roughly the right size, then zoom in to fine adjust the edges. This is pretty boring and tedious. Is there a more automatic way?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
ronviers
May 3, 2007
Hi peter,

Control click that layer.

Good luck,
Ron
MM
Mister Max
May 3, 2007
"" posted:

Hi peter,

Control click that layer.

Good luck,
Ron

Ron –
That doesn’t seem to address the OP’s problem. Could you elucidate?

MisterMax

Travel photos: http://buten.net/max
More photos: http://pbase.com/mistermax
E
edjh
May 4, 2007
peter wrote:
After a small rotation (e.g. 1 degree) and/or lens distortion correction, one usually wants to crop to exclude the empty/transparent area, so that the photo is rectangular again.

To do this, I manually position a crop region just large enough that none of the empty area is included. Usually, I first make a cropping rectangle roughly the right size, then zoom in to fine adjust the edges. This is pretty boring and tedious. Is there a more automatic way?
Ctrl-click the layer in the palette to make a election, then Image>Crop.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
R
Roberto
May 4, 2007
"edjh" wrote in message
peter wrote:

Ctrl-click seems to be a short cut for loading the layer mask, i.e. select everything non-transparent.

What I want is to select the largest fixed ratio (e.g. 4:3) rectangular region that fits in the non-transparent area. I imagine if this feature exits, it would be somewhat interactive so the user can specify the aspect ratio, and be allow to move the region around.
K
KatWoman
May 4, 2007
"peter" wrote in message
"edjh" wrote in message
peter wrote:

Ctrl-click seems to be a short cut for loading the layer mask, i.e. select everything non-transparent.

What I want is to select the largest fixed ratio (e.g. 4:3) rectangular region that fits in the non-transparent area. I imagine if this feature exits, it would be somewhat interactive so the user can specify the aspect ratio, and be allow to move the region around.
set the crop tool to the specific proportion you need?
then only use the corners to resize it
D
dsaur
May 5, 2007
In article <Pkm_h.7365$>, "peter"
wrote:

Not totally, because it is assumed that such a crop would be subjective in its selection. But here is the best way I have found:

Select the whole image with the crop tool by starting from outside the bounds of the document and ending outside the bounds (with no special keys held down). You can be as sloppy as you want, of course, because it will basically select the whole image when you do this.

Then, from one of the corners, hold down the command-option (or control-alt, if your are on Windows) keys while resizing the crop box. This will resize all four corners at once, keeping the center point constant. Just resize until you have no transparent areas within the crop, hit enter, and you’ll be done!

Drew

The Mac Orchard – http://www.macorchard.com/
Essential Internet Applications since 1995
GD
George Dingwall
May 5, 2007
On Fri, 04 May 2007 15:37:57 GMT, "peter" wrote:

"edjh" wrote in message
peter wrote:

Go to the Adobe Exchange and search for a script named autocropv2.jsx. This script was made to do exactly what you need. It works on CS and CS2, not sure about other versions.

Bye for now.
Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections