JM
Posted By
James McNangle
Mar 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A while ago I devised procedure for printing business cards. I set up an A4 master sheet, with guidelines dividing it into 10 business cards, and trim marks. Then I made up a template for each individual business card. I saved each as .psd files so that I can edit them them later if required. To make a working copy for a given card, I open the template, flatten it, then cut and paste it into the compartments on the A4 master sheet. I flatten this, save it as as a.jpg, and print it again when I needed more cards.

Originally I had been using a deckle finish grey card, but when this ran out I found it was no longer available. I still had some matching grey paper, so I scanned this, and pasted it onto the A4 master. I took the template for one of the cards, and deleted the background layer, so that it became transparent. Then I cut and pasted it onto the master as before. When I printed this on white card with my colour printer it gave nice effect, but after I had printed a couple of sheets I noticed that the cards were misplaced in relation to the trim lines.

Apparently when you cut and paste a transparent image the size is determined by the black components in the image, rather than its original size, and these are centred in the working area. To overcome the problem I put very small marks in the corners, so that the cut operation picks up the whole image and places it correctly. These marks can also serve for trim marks.

James McNangle

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
KatWoman
Mar 9, 2007
"James McNangle" wrote in message
A while ago I devised procedure for printing business cards. I set up an A4
master sheet, with guidelines dividing it into 10 business cards, and trim marks. Then I made up a template for each individual business card. I saved
each as .psd files so that I can edit them them later if required. To make a
working copy for a given card, I open the template, flatten it, then cut and
paste it into the compartments on the A4 master sheet. I flatten this, save it
as as a.jpg, and print it again when I needed more cards.
Originally I had been using a deckle finish grey card, but when this ran out I
found it was no longer available. I still had some matching grey paper, so I
scanned this, and pasted it onto the A4 master. I took the template for one of
the cards, and deleted the background layer, so that it became transparent.
Then I cut and pasted it onto the master as before. When I printed this on
white card with my colour printer it gave nice effect, but after I had printed a
couple of sheets I noticed that the cards were misplaced in relation to the trim
lines.

Apparently when you cut and paste a transparent image the size is determined by
the black components in the image, rather than its original size, and these are
centred in the working area. To overcome the problem I put very small marks in
the corners, so that the cut operation picks up the whole image and places it
correctly. These marks can also serve for trim marks.

James McNangle

whew

PS is not the best layout program
I make the design, save as psd in case of future edits
save as tiff or hi res jpg
open MS Publisher, import image onto the
business card template
it places the multiples and prints the page within register of the die cut paper

Avery has this for free too
it comes with the card stock

not sure about the transparency taking away the "edges" of the image? are both the same resolution?
T
Tacit
Mar 9, 2007
In article ,
James McNangle wrote:

A while ago I devised procedure for printing business cards. I set up an A4 master sheet, with guidelines dividing it into 10 business cards, and trim marks. Then I made up a template for each individual business card. I saved each as .psd files so that I can edit them them later if required. To make a working copy for a given card, I open the template, flatten it, then cut and paste it into the compartments on the A4 master sheet. I flatten this, save it as as a.jpg, and print it again when I needed more cards.

Ouch. I’m sorry. You’re going through a lot of convolutions to produce inferior results, because you’re using the wrong tool for the job. Photoshop isn’t a page-layout program; by flattening the image you are rasterizing your text; and by saving as JPEG you are degrading the quality of the image.

Originally I had been using a deckle finish grey card, but when this ran out I found it was no longer available. I still had some matching grey paper, so I scanned this, and pasted it onto the A4 master. I took the template for one of
the cards, and deleted the background layer, so that it became transparent. Then I cut and pasted it onto the master as before. When I printed this on white card with my colour printer it gave nice effect, but after I had printed a
couple of sheets I noticed that the cards were misplaced in relation to the trim
lines.

centred in the working area.

Correct, yes. Copying something with a transparent background copies only the bounding box of the image, not the entire selected area.

To overcome the problem I put very small marks
in the corners, so that the cut operation picks up the whole image and places it correctly. These marks can also serve for trim marks.

A better way might be to use a page layout program to do the cards.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
ronviers
Mar 9, 2007
On Mar 9, 4:44 pm, tacit wrote:
In article ,
James McNangle wrote:

Ouch. I’m sorry. You’re going through a lot of convolutions to produce inferior results, because you’re using the wrong tool for the job. Photoshop isn’t a page-layout program; by flattening the image you are rasterizing your text; and by saving as JPEG you are degrading the quality of the image.

Originally I had been using a deckle finish grey card, but when this ran out I found it was no longer available. I still had some matching grey paper, so I scanned this, and pasted it onto the A4 master. I took the template for one of
the cards, and deleted the background layer, so that it became transparent. Then I cut and pasted it onto the master as before. When I printed this on white card with my colour printer it gave nice effect, but after I had printed a
lines.

centred in the working area.

Correct, yes. Copying something with a transparent background copies only the bounding box of the image, not the entire selected area.
To overcome the problem I put very small marks
in the corners, so that the cut operation picks up the whole image and places it correctly. These marks can also serve for trim marks.

A better way might be to use a page layout program to do the cards.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all athttp://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Is Illustrator a page layout program? If the cards had been created using AI should that be used to print them or should they be transferred to something like MS Pub?

Thanks,
Ron
R
ronviers
Mar 9, 2007
On Mar 9, 3:14 pm, "KatWoman"
wrote:

A while ago I devised procedure for printing business cards. I set up an A4
master sheet, with guidelines dividing it into 10 business cards, and trim marks. Then I made up a template for each individual business card. I saved
working copy for a given card, I open the template, flatten it, then cut and

Originally I had been using a deckle finish grey card, but when this ran out I
found it was no longer available. I still had some matching grey paper, so I
scanned this, and pasted it onto the A4 master. I took the template for one of
Then I cut and pasted it onto the master as before. When I printed this on
white card with my colour printer it gave nice effect, but after I had printed a
lines.

the corners, so that the cut operation picks up the whole image and places it

James McNangle

whew

business card template
it places the multiples and prints the page within register of the die cut paper

not sure about the transparency taking away the "edges" of the image? are both the same resolution?

I am guessing you have both MS Pub and In Design (which I think is Adobe’s competing product) why do you choose MS Pub?
Thanks,
Ron
T
Tacit
Mar 10, 2007
In article ,
"" wrote:

Is Illustrator a page layout program? If the cards had been created using AI should that be used to print them or should they be transferred to something like MS Pub?

Illustrator is a drawing program, not a page layout program. However, for simple jobs like business cards, it works well; no need to go to a page layout program. For anything more sophisticated, you wouldn’t want to use Illustrator; creating a full-page magazine ad, for example, is an exercise in tedium in Illustrator (though it’s still better than using Photoshop for that kind of task).

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
ronviers
Mar 10, 2007
On Mar 9, 6:19 pm, tacit wrote:
In article ,

"" wrote:

Illustrator is a drawing program, not a page layout program. However, for simple jobs like business cards, it works well; no need to go to a page layout program. For anything more sophisticated, you wouldn’t want to use Illustrator; creating a full-page magazine ad, for example, is an exercise in tedium in Illustrator (though it’s still better than using Photoshop for that kind of task).

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all athttp://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Got it, thanks.
JM
James McNangle
Mar 10, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote:

It’s a hell of a lot better than MS Word, which I previously tried to use! I only print a batch of cards about every six months, so I haven’t thought it worth the hassle of getting and learning another program.

Yes.

James McNangle
JM
James McNangle
Mar 10, 2007
tacit wrote:

Photoshop isn’t a page-layout program; by flattening the image you are rasterizing your text; and by saving as JPEG you are degrading the quality of the image.

I hadn’t thought of that. I only converted to JPEG to save file space — the master A4 sheet is 44MB — but I haven’t noticed any degradation. I must try printing from .psd and .jpeg to see if there is any difference. And with hard disk space at $0.40 per gigabyte (and probably half that for you) I shouldn’t really be worrying, but I have been conditioned by my first computer, where it cost $0.40 per kilobyte!

James McNangle
K
KatWoman
Mar 10, 2007
wrote in message
On Mar 9, 3:14 pm, "KatWoman"
wrote:

A while ago I devised procedure for printing business cards. I set up an
A4
master sheet, with guidelines dividing it into 10 business cards, and trim
marks. Then I made up a template for each individual business card. I saved
working copy for a given card, I open the template, flatten it, then cut
and

Originally I had been using a deckle finish grey card, but when this ran
out I
found it was no longer available. I still had some matching grey paper,
so I
scanned this, and pasted it onto the A4 master. I took the template for
one of
Then I cut and pasted it onto the master as before. When I printed this
on
lines.

the corners, so that the cut operation picks up the whole image and places
it

James McNangle

whew

business card template
it places the multiples and prints the page within register of the die cut
paper

I am guessing you have both MS Pub and In Design (which I think is Adobe’s competing product) why do you choose MS Pub?
Thanks,
Ron

Do Not have In Design
Just PS and Illy
JM
James McNangle
Mar 11, 2007
tacit wrote:

Ouch. I’m sorry. ………
by flattening the image you are
rasterizing your text; and by saving as JPEG you are degrading the quality of the image.

The master template for the card has about seven layers, and it seems to be impossible to cut and paste it onto the A4 master without first flattening it. A quick test indicated that this did not cause any loss of quality.

I was intrigued as to how much degradation the conversion to JPEG caused, so I made three test prints. In the first I flattened the original .psd file and then pasted it onto an A6 master. For the others I flattened the original file and then saved it as a JPEG file using quality settings of eight and then 10. I then reloaded these files and pasted on onto an A6 master, and printed them. To my (suboptimal) eyes there was no visible difference between the three prints. However when I examined with an eight power magnifier the lowest quality image was liberally scattered with microscopic black fly spots, the higher quality one had a few spots, while the .psd file had none. On the other hand the degradation of the text itself was not noticeably different in any of the prints.

You can see a demonstration of the results of these tests at:

http://www.corybas.com/Technical/Test_jpg.php

James McNangle
JM
James McNangle
Mar 11, 2007
James McNangle wrote:

You can see a demonstration of the results of these tests at:
http://www.corybas.com/Technical/Test_jpg.php

After posting the above message, I was still puzzled that even the print from a ..psd file seemed rather fuzzy (when examined with the magnifier). It then occurred to me that I had specified the resolution of my master files as 10 pixels per millimetre to simplify the mathematics. However the native resolution of the printer was 600 dots per inch, and I wondered if this mismatch could have caused the fuzziness. A quick test revealed that this was indeed the case. Damn!

I have repeated the test using resolutions of 600 and 300 pixels per inch, and posted the new results at the above reference. The tests show that is certainly advisable to use a resolution that matches the native resolution of the printer, and that the outline of the letters is microscopically cleaner at 600 pixels per inch, but all the samples are indistinguishable to my eye, and perfectly adequate for normal use.

James McNangle

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections