S
Posted By
sikke
Feb 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am missing the things I used to be able to do in the old Kais Powertools 3 plugin for PhotoShop.

Is it possible to get it somewhere? Corel only have Kais Powertools 5 and 6 up for sale. But these programs are inferior to version 3.

I know its an old program (1996). Does anyone know where to get it – and does anyone remember if it is possible to run it in PhotoShop version 5.5 or 6

A few years ago I heard about a site where old program version were up for graps, but never visited it. Please help if you got any info.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S1
sjj_1
Feb 4, 2007
Sikke, I have been trying to find KPT3 for the same reason…..but I can not find it anywhere. If you find it, I would love to know where……

Steve
K
KatWoman
Feb 4, 2007
"sikke" wrote in message
I am missing the things I used to be able to do in the old Kais Powertools 3 plugin for PhotoShop.

Is it possible to get it somewhere? Corel only have Kais Powertools 5 and 6 up for sale. But these programs are inferior to version 3.
I know its an old program (1996). Does anyone know where to get it – and does anyone remember if it is possible to run it in PhotoShop version 5.5 or 6

A few years ago I heard about a site where old program version were up for graps, but never visited it. Please help if you got any info.

FILTER>>>> liquefy
does the same things Kai’s did> you can make the same distortions, swirls, etc
except export as a movie
(you can do that in Image Ready if needed)
N
noone
Feb 6, 2007
In article <45c50ebe$0$883$
says…

Where to get nowadays? Do not know. However it will work with CS/CS2, as I have it on both laptop and workstation, along with Convolver, though I hardly use that one any more.

As Katwoman suggests, Liquify does a really nice job. I still use a lot of very old plug-ins, like Extensis PhotoTools, though the toolbar is a bit of a problem with the newer vers of PS. Sometimes, one just likes the way a plug-in works and they feel comfortable with it. Heck, I still use EyeCandy 3 (back in the AlienSkin days) for my Drop-Shadows, even though PS has a full compliment of D-S filtering built in. It’s all about one’s workflow.

You might want to try eBay for the Kai’s. I doubt that Corel still maintains anything back that far, especially as that was well before the Corel days. Of the major SW companies, I find them the least likely to have support for earlier products.

Hunt
T
tuckermor
Feb 6, 2007
A KPT 3 SE version was included in Corel Draw 7 as a plug in for PhotoPaint, but that might be as hard to find as KPT itself.

Visit insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <45c50ebe$0$883$
says…
I am missing the things I used to be able to do in the old Kais Powertools 3
plugin for PhotoShop.

Is it possible to get it somewhere? Corel only have Kais Powertools 5 and 6
up for sale. But these programs are inferior to version 3.
I know its an old program (1996). Does anyone know where to get it – and does anyone remember if it is possible to run it in PhotoShop version 5.5 or

Where to get nowadays? Do not know. However it will work with CS/CS2, as I have it on both laptop and workstation, along with Convolver, though I hardly
use that one any more.

As Katwoman suggests, Liquify does a really nice job. I still use a lot of very old plug-ins, like Extensis PhotoTools, though the toolbar is a bit of a
problem with the newer vers of PS. Sometimes, one just likes the way a plug-in
works and they feel comfortable with it. Heck, I still use EyeCandy 3 (back
in the AlienSkin days) for my Drop-Shadows, even though PS has a full compliment of D-S filtering built in. It’s all about one’s workflow.
You might want to try eBay for the Kai’s. I doubt that Corel still maintains
anything back that far, especially as that was well before the Corel days. Of
the major SW companies, I find them the least likely to have support for earlier products.

Hunt
P
plugsnpixels
Feb 7, 2007
I have a copy of the KPT3 installer disk images. I suppose it would be OK to share it at this point (?).

Here is the text of the Read Me file:

Kai’s Power Tools 3
Macintosh/Power Macintosh
About Kai’s Power Tools
Kai’s Power Tools 3 is a collection of extensions that plug into Adobe Photoshop™, or any paint application that fully and correctly subscribes to the Adobe Plug-in architecture. Over two years since its
1.0 release, KPT again is pushing the envelope of possibilities with
version 3…

Included in KPT3:

• KPT Interform • KPT Spheroid Designer • KPT Gradient Designer • KPT Texture Explorer • KPT 3D Stereo Noise • KPT Glass Lens • KPT Page Curl • KPT Planar Tile • KPT Seamless Welder • KPT Twirl • KPT Video Feedback • KPT Vortex Tile • KPT Noise f/x • KPT Gaussian f/x • KPT Pixel f/x • KPT Smudge f/x • KPT Edge f/x • KPT Intensity f/x

….and an online version of all the online help documentation, so that you may print and read at your leisure. 🙂

What’s New to Kai’s Power Tools 3?
Over 200 enhancements in a single upgrade… man, oh man! Some of the highlights:

• KPT Spheroid Designer – sometimes referred to as the world’s first operating system dedicated to the creation of spheres… 😉 This long- awaited extension allows you to create, design, multiply, randomize, splatter, pack, build, stack, scatter, and yes, even to animate spheres… Spheres are raytraced, with multiple light sources, bump mapping, colors, curvature and more…

• KPT Texture Explorer (new) – Loaded with a brand new texture engine which supports multilayered textures, infinite (as opposed to tiled) patterns, realtime panning and zooming, rotation, live tweaking of colors, contrast, brightness, and more. It’s as if the Convolver were packed right into KPT Texture Explorer!

• KPT Interform – A major animation utility dedicated to the task of animating the morphing of textures over time. Dozens of preset motion trajectories, realtime "scooting" by hand, compositing with a source image in realtime, and animation capabilities make this the killer thing for animated textures, backdrops, and more. The mother texture and the father texture mix together to make offspring, and then the children grow up to make movies… hmmm… 😉

• KPT Lens fx – A high precision graphic effects instrument, containing all of the space covered previously by KPT 2.1’s "one- step" filters; and then multiplied by at least a hundred. Add in the ability to drag the lens anywhere onscreen, watching the changes in realtime as you drag… The lenses even cast shadows on your screen… 😉

• Graphical Presets – View and pick from all of your presets as graphics! Hundreds are included, and you can add thousands more! One of our extensions, the Gradient Designer, even includes Graphical Undo!

• Preset Management – Finally, KPT3 introduces the ability to import, export, and delete presets easily. Now it becomes possible to swap, save, or post preset files as you like, anytime.

• Previews four times larger than before, and faster too…!

• Channel operations available in every extension

• Every filter now has its own user interface with realtime previewing of effects as you make changes…

• And hundreds of other changes and hidden surprises!

System Requirements
RAM
KPT3 requires 2MB of RAM from the host application’s memory partition. However, remember that you need enough RAM for your system (2-6MB depending…) and for your host app (8MB standard minimum for Photoshop)… so the optimal total system RAM for KPT3 should be around 16MB. While you may be able to work with less, behaviour may be erratic.

FPU
Yes, if you are not using a Power Macintosh, an FPU (Floating Point Unit, or math coprocessor) is mandatory.

CPU
Minimum required CPU is a 68040 processor. Even so, several important components of KPT3 (Texture Explorer, Interform, and Spheroid Designer) have been seriously optimized specifically for the Power Macintosh and will be quite slow on anything less. If you are not using a Power Macintosh, we truly hope you get to see this stuff running in that environment, as you will miss a great deal of the glory and the story, especially as regards realtime previewing and graphical presets.

Host Application Compatibility
We are fully compliant with Adobe’s Plug-in standard, and therefore KPT3 will run most effectively under Adobe Photoshop™. While there are many other companies that claim to accept Adobe-compatible plug-ins, there are those who do not fully or correctly implement Adobe’s specifications. In these cases, KPT3 may not be able to run properly. We cannot, therefore, make any guarantees about compatibility with anything other than Adobe Photoshop™. Should you encounter any problems with other host applications, please consult their manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Installation
Please follow these steps to successfully install Kai’s Power Tools 3:

(1) Insert the first disk into your floppy drive (the install folder will now appear).
(2) Double-click on the “KPT3 Install.1” icon to start the installation.
(3) The installation will first display the ReadMe file, containing important news and information. Click “Continue” after reading. (4) In the main install window, click “Select Folder” and choose your Adobe Photoshop plug-ins folder, or the plug-ins folder of the application you are using.
(5) After selecting your Plug-ins folder, click “Install” to continue. The installer will prompt you for each additional disk as needed. (6) When the installation is complete, an electronic registration card will appear. Please fill out this registration card in order to receive free technical support, software discounts and more. If you have a modem, you may register online by simply pressing “Send”. To fax your registration card press “Print.” Or fill out the registration card included in your package.
(7) You are now ready to enjoy Kai’s Power Tools 3. Simply run your host application, such as Adobe Photoshop, and choose any of the KPT 3 filters in the “Filter” menu.

Talk To Us

On America Online, we can be reached by using the keyword KPT to go to our online forum, or you may send e-mail directly to KPTSupport for general questions. Via CompuServe, we can be reached at GOKPTSUPPORT. Also, visit our World Wide Web site at http://www.hsc.com.

If you are not on America Online, you can send us e-mail via any Internet gateway. Our Internet address is

Registered users may also contact our Technical Support Department, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time, at (805) 566-6206.

We invite you to get online and join the rapidly growing group of graphics professionals and enthusiasts who share knowledge and ideas in our weekly America Online live chat, often hosted by Kai himself. Currently we meet Tuesday nights at 7:30 pm Pacific Time. Use Keyword KPT to enter our forum, and click on the HSC Chat button to enter the fray!

Kai’s Power Tools 3 is published exclusively by:
MetaTools, Inc.
6303 Carpinteria Avenue
Carpinteria, CA 93013
(805) 566-6200 phone
(805) 566-6385 fax

©1995 MetaTools, Inc. All rights reserved.
HSC is a trademark, and Convolver, Kai’s Power Tools, KPT, HSC and MetaTools are registered trademarks of MetaTools, Inc.

Adobe® and Adobe Photoshop® are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated. Apple, Quicktime, ResEdit, Centris, Macintosh, Macintosh II, Macintosh LC, Performa, Powerbook, Quadra, and Power Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Incorporated. Fractal Design Painter™ is a registered Trademark of Fractal Design Corporation. All other product names mentioned in this manual are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Registered and unregistered trademarks used herein are the exclusive property of their respective owners. MetaTools, Inc. makes no claim to any such marks, nor willingly or knowingly misused or misapplied such marks.

Limited Use License Agreement

You should carefully read the following terms and conditions before opening this package. By opening the package you are agreeing and indicating your acceptance of these terms and conditions. If you do not agree with them you should return the package unopened to the dealer from whom you purchased and your money will be refunded. If the dealer from whom you purchased this package fails to refund your money, contact MetaTools, Inc. immediately at the address below.

MetaTools, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as Company), a California based Corporation, provides the computer software (hereinafter referred to as Program) contained on the medium in this package and licenses its use. You assume full responsibility for the selection of the Program to achieve your intended results and for the installation, use and results obtained from the Program.

License

A. In consideration of the payment of a license fee, you are granted a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive license to use the Program under the terms stated in the Agreement. You own the diskette or other physical media on which the Program is provided under the terms of this Agreement, but all title and ownership of the Program and enclosed related documentation (hereinafter referred to as Documentation), and all other rights not expressly granted to you under this Agreement, remain with the Company.

B. The Program may be used by you only on a single computer. Therefore, you must treat this software just like a book. With the exception of Item D below, just like a book means that this software may be used by any number of people and may be freely moved from one computer location to another, so long as there is no possibility of it being used at one location while the same copy is at the same time being used at another location. Just as the same copy of a book cannot be read by two different people in two different places at the same time, neither can the same copy of software be used by two different people in two different places at the same time. Site licenses for multiple single users are available. Contact MetaTools, Inc. for details.

C. You and your employees and agents are required to protect the confidentiality of the Program. You may not distribute or otherwise make the Program or Documentation available to any third party.

D. You may not copy or reproduce the Program or Documentation for any purpose except to make one (1) archival copy of the Program, in machine readable or printed form for back up purposes only in support of your use of the Program on a single computer. You must reproduce and include the Company copyright notice on the backup copy of the Program.

E. Any portion of the Program merged into or used in conjunction with another program will continue to be the property of the Company and subject to the terms and condition of this Agreement. You must reproduce and include Company’s copyright notice on any portion merged in or used in conjunction with another program.

F. You may not sublease, assign or otherwise transfer the Program or this license to any other person without the prior written consent of Company.

G. You acknowledge that you are receiving on a LIMITED LICENSE TO USE the Program and Documentation and that the Company retains title to the Program and Documentation. You acknowledge that Company has a valuable proprietary interest in the Program and Documentation. You may not use, copy, modify or transfer the Program or Documentation or any copy, modification or merged portion in whole or in part except as expressly provided for in this Agreement. If you transfer possession of any copy modification or merged portion of the Program or Documentation to another party, your license is automatically terminated.

H. If you have purchased a NETWORK version of the software, this license agreement applies to the installation of the software onto a single file server. It may not be copied onto multiple systems. Each node connected to the file server must also have its own node copy of the software that becomes a license for that specific user.

Term

This license granted to you is effective until terminated. You may terminate it at any time by returning the Program and Documentation to Company together with all copies, modifications and merged portions in any form. The license will also terminate upon conditions set forth elsewhere in the Agreement, or if you fail to comply with any term or condition of this Agreement. You agree upon such termination to return the Program and Documentation to Company together with all copies, modifications and merged portion in any form. Upon termination, Company can also enforce any rights provided by law. The provision of this Agreement which protects the proprietary rights of Company will continue in force after termination. Termination of this license either voluntary or involuntary does not entitle you to a refund of your purchase cost except as provided elsewhere in this License Agreement.

Limited Warranty

Company warrants, as the sole warranty, that the medium on which the Program is furnished will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and conditions for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of delivery to you as evidenced by a copy of your receipt. No distributor, dealer or any other entity or person is authorized to expand or alter either this warranty or this Agreement. Any such representations will not bind the Company. Company does not warrant that the functions contained in the Program will meet your requirements or that the operation of the Program will be uninterrupted or error-free. Except as stated above in this section, the Program and Documentation are provided as-is without warranty of any kind either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. You assume entire risk as it applies to the quality and performance of the Program and Documentation. Should the Program prove defective you (and not Company, authorized Company Distributor or dealer) assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing repair or correction. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Some states do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.

Limitation of Remedies

Company’s entire liability and remedy will be:

A. The replacement of any medium not meeting Company’s ‘Limited Warranty’ explained above and which is returned to Company or an authorized Company distributor or dealer with a copy or your receipt; or

B. If Company is unable to deliver a replacement medium which conforms to the warranty provided under this Agreement, you may terminate this Agreement by returning the Program and Documentation to Company, authorized Company Distributor, or dealer from whom you obtained the Program and your license fee will be refunded.

Product Returns

If you must ship the Program and Documentation to an authorized Company Distributor, dealer or to Company, you must prepay shipping and either insure the Program and Documentation or assume all risk of loss or damage in transit. To replace a defective medium during the ninety (90) day warranty period, if you are returning the medium to Company, please send us your name and address, the defective medium and a copy of your receipt at the address provided below. In no event will Company be liable to you for any damages direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, including damages for any lost profits, lost savings or other incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use or inability to use such Program and Documentation, even if Company has been advised of the possibility of such damages or for any claim by any other party. Some states do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. In no event will Company liability for damages to you or any other person ever exceed the amount of the license fee paid by you to use the Program regardless of the form of the claim.

US Government Restricted Rights

The Program and Documentation are provided with restricted rights. Use, duplication or disclosure by the US Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software Clause at (252) 227-7013. Contractor/Manufacturer is MetaTools, Inc., 6303 Carpinteria Avenue, Carpinteria, CA 93013.

General

This Agreement is governed by the laws of the state of California (except federal law governs copyrights and register trademark(s)). If any provision of this Agreement is deemed invalid by any court having jurisdiction, that particular provision will be deemed deleted and will not affect the validity of any other provision of this Agreement. Should you have any questions concerning this Agreement, you may contact MetaTools, Inc. at the address below.

MetaTools, Inc.
6303 Carpinteria Avenue
Carpinteria, CA 93013
(805) 566-6200 phone
(805) 566-6385 fax

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections