MD
Posted By
Mark_De_Cain
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a valid license for Photoshop 4.0 and an equally valid upgrade license for 5.0, both are registered. I have not used either product for well over two years. I recently tried to install them on my W2K system and could not do so due to an error message. Since then I upgraded the W2K system to XP. I now want to install Photoshop again, but am concerned that I will run into the same problem. I also want to upgrade the 5.0 version to a 6.0 license that I purchased but never installed. How can I accomplish the above and what steps do I need to take?? Much tx …

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 2, 2004
but am concerned that I will run into the same problem

so you didn’t try it? just put the latest (6?) disk in and install it. when it asks for verification replace it with the 5 disk. if that doesn’t work replace it with the 4 disk. follow the prompts and you’ll be fine.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
on my W2K system and could not do so due to an error message.

What error message?

Since then I upgraded the W2K system to XP.

How? An O/S upgrade is a dangeous thing unless it’s a clean installation.

Bob
MD
Mark_De_Cain
Apr 2, 2004
I have not tried to install the SW because it is a time-consuming process only to reach an unsuccessful conclusion. Here is the exact sequence I took.

The original Adove PS was installed on an IBM notebook w/W95. That had the 4.0 SW and ran just fine. I also upgraded it to 5.0 and that went smooth as well. At some point I became disenchanted with W95 and removed it entirely and installed W2K. I never installed the PS SW after the OS update. Much later I tried to install 4.0 with the expectation that it was required to be installed first and that the 5.0 install would look for its presence. I received an installation error msg that stated the process could not continue for some (to me) inexplicable reason. I did not have the time to try and fool with it so I left it alone. Later on, I bought a new notebook. It came with XP already loaded. It is this PC that I want to install the SW on.

I have not tried installing it on my new PC yet, but I guess there is no harm in trying – only lost time. I merely wanted to understand what issues were involved before I ran into more problems. My thanks for your help so far, all suggestions are welcome …
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
You’ve spent more time here on this than the installation takes. Make sure the CD is clean and scratch free. You might even want to copy the installer to the harddrive and install it from there.

Bob
MD
Mark_De_Cain
Apr 3, 2004
Well tonight I tried to actually install the PhotoShop 4.0 software and was unsuccessful, which I anticipated would be the case and thus was the reason for my original query for help.

What happens when I insert the PhotoShop 4.0 CD is that an error message comes up with a label of "Director Player 5.0." The actual message states "This program requires at least 3MB of Virtual Memory to run." My PC is running WXP and has 1GB of physical memory, and loads of spare disk. I suspect this error is somehow related to the program trying to run as a W95 app, but don’t know how to tell for sure or how to fix it.

Just for grins I tried to load the PS 5.0 Upgrade CD as well. All that happened here is a lot of CD thrashing with nothing resulting. There were no error messages at all and no installation panels ever appearing. The Autorun menu did start but whenever I tried to select an install option I never got beyond the whirring of the CD. I even tried launching the actual "Setup" program located in the Photoshop directory on the CD with the same result.

I have not tried the Photoshop 6.0 CD yet, as I can’t find it (another aggravation). I think I should be able to install 4.0 and 5.0 in any event, so once again I am asking for help.
MD
Mark_De_Cain
Apr 3, 2004
Never mind – I found the answer in my post. The install program was trying to run as a W95 application. All I had to do was set up the program to run in compatability mode. Thanks anyway …
GH
Grass_Hopper
Apr 3, 2004
Mark,
It sounds as if you are under the impression that you must install EACH of the preceeding programs before you can install version 6. That is not the case at all. You can simply install the version 6 upgrade and when prompted, remove the 6 CD and insert a previous version of PS to validate the use of an "upgrade" version of PS. You will then be prompted to remove the earlier version CD and replace with the version 6 installation CD.

It’s that simple! You don’t need to clutter your hard drive with multiple versions of Photoshop.

Also, make sure you always install versions of PS to their *own* directories and NOT over the top of a previous installation.

hope that helps,
grasshopper
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 3, 2004
To make it even easier, copy the installer to your harddrive, put the earlier version in the CD drive and then install. When it asks for verification just hit okay, the CD will be detected and the installation will continue. No swapping.

After it’s done, just delete the installer.

Bob
DL
David_Lingard
Apr 3, 2004
Mark,

This 3MB message recurs occasionally in this forum but it’s nothing to do with Photoshop, it’s a clash between the OS and Macromedia Director and the answer is actually to REDUCE your Windows Virtual Memory. This will allow the installer graphics to run.

I’ve posted this a few times now but can’t find the link to Macromedia support but this one is giving the same, correct information:

<http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=303>

HTH

David
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2004
That is not the case at all. You can simply install the version 6 upgrade and when prompted, remove the 6 CD and insert a previous version of PS to validate the use of an "upgrade" version of PS.

another proof of the axiom: nobody ever reads post #1! 🙂
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 3, 2004
another proof of the axiom: nobody ever reads post #1! 🙂

They don’t read the readme files, either.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Apr 3, 2004
I gotta wonder what percentage of application users read all of the documentation provided with the software.

Even though I detest PDF manuals, I do! Plain text ReadMe files? I do!

Anybody else?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 4, 2004
Anybody else?

Me!
P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2004
I absolutely knew I could count on you, Dave!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections