MN
Posted By
mr_nice_1973
Oct 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a keyboard shortcut to make an image fit its own window?

I know you can double click the hand tool to make the image fit on screen. And you can double click the magnification tool to resize the image to 100%. But what if you reduce the image’s zoom to say 50%, is there a way to make the image window border resize to the fit the smaller image size?

What I mean is when the image is reduce to 50%, the image window could be much bigger than the image. The gray image window background appears. You can resize the image window to exactly fit the 50% zoom reduction by dragging one of the window’s corners. But is there any immediate shortcut so the image window matched the size of the image?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MJ
Monty Jake Monty
Oct 7, 2004
COM>OPT> + or – on a MAC. Substitute CONTROL key for COM on a PC.

Steve

— faith \’fath\ n : firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Webster’s Dictionary

Organization: http://groups.google.com
Newsgroups: alt.graphics.photoshop
Date: 7 Oct 2004 14:06:10 -0700
Subject: fit image window to zoom level?

I know you can double click the hand tool to make the image fit on screen. And you can double click the magnification tool to resize the image to 100%. But what if you reduce the image’s zoom to say 50%, is there a way to make the image window border resize to the fit the smaller image size?

What I mean is when the image is reduce to 50%, the image window could be much bigger than the image. The gray image window background appears. You can resize the image window to exactly fit the 50% zoom reduction by dragging one of the window’s corners. But is there any immediate shortcut so the image window matched the size of the image?
N
noone
Oct 8, 2004
In article , mr_nice_1973
@yahoo.com says…

If I understand what you wish, the shortcut is Ctrl-0 (thats ZERO, and not o, which will get you to Open dialog box). This will increase the canvas and image to the largest possible size on your monitor. Now, if you have one monitor and a lot of palettes, your image will be behind some of those. Also, when using the Magnifying Glass, you might want to make sure that the Options toolbar’s Resize Window is checked. Can’t recall what the default is, as I change it a half-dozen times/day, depending on what I want to do.

Hope this helps.
Hunt
MN
mr_nice_1973
Oct 8, 2004
both of those suggestions are good enough:

1) Checking the magnify glass’s option: "Resize Windows to Fit"
2) And CRTL+ALT+ (plus sign) or (minus sign)

I wish there were a way to do this automatically when you’re using the navigator to change the zoom instead of the magnify glass, but the above solutions should suffice.

thanks!
MQ
Michael Quick
Oct 8, 2004
I don’t have my copy of Photoshop to hand but there is a setting in the preferences dialog that force the window to match the size of the image. Thus reducing the image size WILL result in a smaller window automatically.

Mike

"Jaxim" wrote in message

N
noone
Oct 9, 2004
@yahoo.com says…

I wish there were a way to do this automatically when you’re using the navigator to change the zoom instead of the magnify glass, but the above solutions should suffice.

thanks!

In the Navigator, you can just type in "100" in the magnify window, lower left, I think.

Hunt
V
V1nc3nt
Oct 9, 2004
Hunt wrote:
@yahoo.com says…

thanks!

In the Navigator, you can just type in "100" in the magnify window, lower left, I think.

Or double click on the Magnifier in the tools palette for 100%
MN
mr_nice_1973
Oct 9, 2004
But how can you have the window fit the image if you set the zoom to anything other than 100% by using the navigator?
V
V1nc3nt
Oct 9, 2004
Jaxim wrote:
But how can you have the window fit the image if you set the zoom to anything other than 100% by using the navigator?

On the PC: Ctrl + Alt and + or –
I guess on a Mac it should be: Cmd + Alt and + or – (but correct me if I’m wrong)
V
V1nc3nt
Oct 9, 2004
V1nc3nt wrote:
Jaxim wrote:

On the PC: Ctrl + Alt and + or –
I guess on a Mac it should be: Cmd + Alt and + or – (but correct me if I’m wrong)

I just saw you already got that answer. What you want is not possible, imo.
E
edjh
Oct 9, 2004
Michael Quick wrote:
I don’t have my copy of Photoshop to hand but there is a setting in the preferences dialog that force the window to match the size of the image. Thus reducing the image size WILL result in a smaller window automatically.
Mike

"Jaxim" wrote in message

That works with key commands (I prefer to use Spacebar-Alt and Spacebar-Ctrl by the way) but it doesn’t seem to work with the Navigator (which I never use anyway).

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
B
bagal
Oct 11, 2004
what I want to know is: when are the PSCS programmers gonna make PSCS make a decent cup of coffee?

It makes sense doen’t it?

All it needs is a dedicated icon. Maybe a cafetier or steaming coffee cup?

I am sure productivity will increase enormously

Arty

(dunno why I typed that – sorta made sense at the time)

A

"edjh" wrote in message
Michael Quick wrote:

Mike

"Jaxim" wrote in message

That works with key commands (I prefer to use Spacebar-Alt and Spacebar-Ctrl by the way) but it doesn’t seem to work with the Navigator (which I never use anyway).

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections