MB
Posted By
Mrs Beeble Brock
Sep 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, I have about 300 pages of furniture that has been scanned from brochures. Each page has around 15 imates which I must save as individual files. What I’m currently doing is:

– Crop to the selected image;
– Save as [file name]
– Ctrl z to step backwards
– Select another image, crop that and repeat the process over and over

Is there a way to save a selection as a jpg and thereby elimate the middle two steps above?

No doubt this is a common task so perhaps there is a droplet or auto function out there somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any tips on saving me hours and hours of work for which I am being paid a super-low rate.

Jo

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MJ
Monty Jake Monty
Sep 29, 2004
Select>Save Selection>New (pull down menu)

Make it into an action and run a Batch Automation on all the pages.

Steve

— faith \’fath\ n : firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Webster’s Dictionary

Organization: Xtra
Newsgroups: alt.graphics.photoshop
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:41:50 +1200
Subject: Automate crop and save?

Hi everyone, I have about 300 pages of furniture that has been scanned from brochures. Each page has around 15 imates which I must save as individual files. What I’m currently doing is:

– Save as [file name]
Is there a way to save a selection as a jpg and thereby elimate the middle two steps above?

No doubt this is a common task so perhaps there is a droplet or auto function out there somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any tips on saving me hours and hours of work for which I am being paid a super-low rate.

Jo
MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Sep 29, 2004
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I wonder what I’m doing wrong since when I save selection I just get a new channel instead of new document.

Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:

Steve

— faith \’fath\ n : firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Webster’s Dictionary

– Save as [file name]

Jo

MJ
Monty Jake Monty
Sep 30, 2004
When the Save window comes up, there is a pull-down menu which allows you to chose new channel or document.

Steve

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:33:09 +1200
Subject: Re: Automate crop and save?

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I wonder what I’m doing wrong since when I save selection I just get a new channel instead of new document.
Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:

Steve

– Save as [file name]

Jo

MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Sep 30, 2004
Thanks for your reply Steve. Unfortunately this isn’t working for me.

The drop-down menu I have (PS CS) has:

– Document
– Channel
– Name

and then radio buttons below those three. All buttons except for "new channel" are greyed out.

Under Document at the top the drop-down choices are
– Name of the main document/ or New
– Channel (new is only option)
– Name

No matter what I do with these options I just end up with a new window which is all black except for one white rectangle. If I open a new document and try to load selection, there’s no option to load the document I previously saved.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,
Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:
When the Save window comes up, there is a pull-down menu which allows you to chose new channel or document.

Steve

Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:

Steve

– Save as [file name]

Jo
B
bagal
Oct 3, 2004
Cool comms Monty!

Arty

"Monty Jake Monty" wrote in message
Jo

I’ve made you an Action which will do exactly what you need. I’ve included
a screen capture of it just in case it doesn’t work in PS CS. In which case
you could write your own following the steps in the included JPG, using Insert Menu Command for each step, aside from making the initial selection.

The step colored blue in the pic can be turn off by clicking the check box once you know how it all works.

You can then place all your pages in the same folder and run a Batch Automation to another Destination Folder. Turn on the CLOSE check box (the
last step in red) if you want each original page to close after you’ve extracted the targeted pic. MAKE SURE YOU CHOSE "DO NOT SAVE" WHEN THE CLOSE DIALOG BOX COMES UP. Otherwise you will write over the original. you
might want to play with this a bit with a few files you don’t need. Or on copies of the originals. In the end you will have to make several passes since you have several pics on each page. This action will only extract one
pic per page.

Hope this works out. If the action does not work in your version or you have trouble writing one for yourself following the pic, I can walk you through it. Once you get it running properly this action will be a huge time
saver.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve

I’ve included MAC and PC compressed folders.

Steve

— faith \’fath\ n : firm belief in something for which there is no proof.
Webster’s Dictionary

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:11:24 +1200

– Document
– Channel
– Name

and then radio buttons below those three. All buttons except for "new channel" are greyed out.

– Name

No matter what I do with these options I just end up with a new window which is all black except for one white rectangle. If I open a new document and try to load selection, there’s no option to load the document I previously saved.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,
Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:
When the Save window comes up, there is a pull-down menu which allows you to
chose new channel or document.

Steve

Webster’s Dictionary

Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:

Steve

Webster’s Dictionary

Hi everyone, I have about 300 pages of furniture that has been scanned
from brochures. Each page has around 15 imates which I must save as individual files. What I’m currently doing is:

– Save as [file name]

Thanks in advance for any tips on saving me hours and hours of work for
which I am being paid a super-low rate.

Jo

MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 14, 2004
Hi Monty, I’ve just checked back to this group after a break. I wish I’d been sooner and seen your post. Thanks so much for going to the trouble for me – I really appreciate it.

I’ve finished that particular job now, but have more of the same coming my way soon. I’ll run this so I’m familiar with its workings when I need to be up and running in a hurry.

Thanks, again,
Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:
Jo

I’ve made you an Action which will do exactly what you need. I’ve included a screen capture of it just in case it doesn’t work in PS CS. In which case you could write your own following the steps in the included JPG, using Insert Menu Command for each step, aside from making the initial selection.
The step colored blue in the pic can be turn off by clicking the check box once you know how it all works.

You can then place all your pages in the same folder and run a Batch Automation to another Destination Folder. Turn on the CLOSE check box (the last step in red) if you want each original page to close after you’ve extracted the targeted pic. MAKE SURE YOU CHOSE "DO NOT SAVE" WHEN THE CLOSE DIALOG BOX COMES UP. Otherwise you will write over the original. you might want to play with this a bit with a few files you don’t need. Or on copies of the originals. In the end you will have to make several passes since you have several pics on each page. This action will only extract one pic per page.

Hope this works out. If the action does not work in your version or you have trouble writing one for yourself following the pic, I can walk you through it. Once you get it running properly this action will be a huge time saver.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve

I’ve included MAC and PC compressed folders.

Steve

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:11:24 +1200

– Document
– Channel
– Name

– Name

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,
Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:

Steve

Jo

Monty Jake Monty wrote:

Steve

Webster’s Dictionary

– Save as [file name]

Jo

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections