Posted By
gluble
Dec 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I would like to change a color towards another, knowing I’m knowing the RGB values of the two colors : the original one and the targeted one.

How to do ?

Here is a page I’ve just done some minutes ago to explain in detail : http://yohannl.tripod.com/chgecolor/index.html

(My goal is to be able to change the hue of a serial of images being a kind of skin for a website)

And, of course, I would prefer a reversible way (i.e. using layer)

Well, awaiting your advices πŸ™‚

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DL
Don Leman
Dec 13, 2006
Try this:

1. Duplicate the layer
2. With this layer active select Image/Adjustments/Replace Colour
3. Click in the top colour sample and fill in the 1463C9 below the RGB
setting
4. Click OK then select the bottom colour sample and fill in E12C86 below the RGB setting
5. Click OK to close the colour picker and OK to apply the change

I have version CS-2 so hope this feature is in your version/

Don Leman

wrote in message
Hello,

I would like to change a color towards another, knowing I’m knowing the RGB values of the two colors : the original one and the targeted one.
How to do ?

Here is a page I’ve just done some minutes ago to explain in detail : http://yohannl.tripod.com/chgecolor/index.html

(My goal is to be able to change the hue of a serial of images being a kind of skin for a website)

And, of course, I would prefer a reversible way (i.e. using layer)
Well, awaiting your advices πŸ™‚
G
gluble
Dec 13, 2006
In article <0zYfh.476362$>,
says…
1. Duplicate the layer
setting
4. Click OK then select the bottom colour sample and fill in E12C86 below the RGB setting

Well, thanks, Don ! The version I have doesn’t seems to have something about RGB field in the Img/Adjustement/Replace color dialog box, but from your info, I’ve succeeded entering Hue:330Β° and Saturation:80%, which are the values I’ve taken in the pickcolor tool in main interface for the #E12C86 RGB.

Nevertheless, I’ve done nothing about Luminosity because it seems to be not the same logic as Hue and Saturation (as said above).

So, now I’ve at least one solution ;-), even if I’ve to duplicate layers rather than simply apply a "tune layer" (don’t known word in english since my version is a french one : I talk about "calque de rΓ©glage") as I thought it was possible at the beginning.

Do you know about a way w/o layer duplication ?
DL
Don Leman
Dec 13, 2006
I think you have missed out step 3

You need to click on the little square that is in the Selection area of the Replace Colour dialog box when you do that it will take you over to the colour picker dialog box where you can enter in your numbers.

There is a corresponding little square you also need to click on to key in the values for the replacing colour. This square is in the lower portion of the Replace Colour dialog box.

Once the proper values are entered the difference between the original colour and the replacement is

Hue: +116
Saturation: -7
Lightness: +10

By the way, this only change a portion of the layer named "Shape".

Don Leman

wrote in message
In article <0zYfh.476362$>,
says…
1. Duplicate the layer
setting

Well, thanks, Don ! The version I have doesn’t seems to have something about RGB field in the Img/Adjustement/Replace color dialog box, but from your info, I’ve succeeded entering Hue:330
G
gluble
Dec 13, 2006
In article <Aa_fh.476663$>,
says…

But I don’t see anything to reach the color picker dialog box from the color replacement one, Don.

Here is a snapshot of what I have on screen :
http://yohannl.tripod.com/chgecolor/snap001.jpg
DL
Don Leman
Dec 14, 2006
Yes our two dialog boxes are somewhat different. Here is mine

http://static.flickr.com/144/321811431_d8d9f8d5ff_o.jpg

What happens if you click on the blue square at the bottom of yours? Does that take you to the colour picker?

Don Leman
West Coast Audio

Authorized retailer for Blue Circle Audio, Harbeth, Skylan and Devore Fidelity
wrote in message
In article <Aa_fh.476663$>,
says…

But I don’t see anything to reach the color picker dialog box from the color replacement one, Don.

Here is a snapshot of what I have on screen :
http://yohannl.tripod.com/chgecolor/snap001.jpg
G
gluble
Dec 14, 2006
In article <TD2gh.477585$>,
says…
Yes our two dialog boxes are somewhat different. Here is mine
http://static.flickr.com/144/321811431_d8d9f8d5ff_o.jpg

What happens if you click on the blue square at the bottom of yours? Does that take you to the colour picker?
Hum, I see πŸ™

Nothing, it happens nothing. I’ve try to click and double-click on the bottom square as anywhere else and nothing launches the color picker box.

But, is there a way to calculate the TSL value from the RGB’s one I have ?
G
gluble
Dec 14, 2006
In article ,
says…
But, is there a way to calculate the TSL value from the RGB’s one I have ?
RGB H S L
1463C9 214Β° 90% 79%
E12C86 330Β° 80% 88%
———————————
+116 -10 +9

And you observed in one of your post :
+116 -7 +10

It’s very close !

Then, it seems I could calculate the thing case per case, awaiting a more automatic way, and even if it’s a little bit loooooonnnnnng (oops)
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 14, 2006
From the screen shot, Gluble is using Photoshop 6. It does not support the color picker functionality that Don mentions. Here’s a similar procedure for Photoshop 6.

1) enable the info palette, and place a color sample over the location whose color is to be changed.
2) if you want to retain the rainbow background, use the magic wand to select only the center blue object. Experiment with the tolerance number to get the best selection possible.
2) use the Hue/Sat adjustment, as before, and match the RGB value in the info palette as closely as possible to your desired RGB value.

Your example is a GIF file. You can accomplish the above step with a Hue/Sat adjustment layer if you work in RGB mode instead of indexed mode, saving as a GIF file if necessary.

To create an animated GIF of rotating hue values, duplicate the image to the required number of layers, one layer per frame, set a different Hue/Sat value for each layer, and export it in ImageReady. Save this in an action, and you will have a quick way to repeat this for any image. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
G
gluble
Dec 14, 2006
In article <CJbgh.5804$>, RE-
says…
2) use the Hue/Sat adjustment, as before, and match the RGB value in the info palette as closely as possible to your desired RGB value.

It works, effectively, but it’s a manual way : I mean w/o real calculattion… So, maybe it’s quicker to compute TSL difference… Don’t know !

Your example is a GIF file. You can accomplish the above step with a Hue/Sat adjustment layer if you work in RGB mode instead of indexed mode, saving as a GIF file if necessary.

Oh no, the GIF was only here to show on web, but my work are done on ..PSD files (also, I’ve put this file for download from a link in the webpage)

But… You said I’m in this case because of Photoshop 6 : so, what the Photoshop version from which RGB feature about hue-saturation change exists ?

However, thanks Mike and Don.
DL
Don Leman
Dec 15, 2006
As I have only ever used Photoshop version CS-2, I will let Mike get back to you on this.

Don Leman

wrote in message
But… You said I’m in this case because of Photoshop 6 : so, what the Photoshop version from which RGB feature about hue-saturation change exists ?

However, thanks Mike and Don.
MR
Mike Russell
Dec 15, 2006
wrote in message
In article <CJbgh.5804$>, RE-
says…

It works, effectively, but it’s a manual way : I mean w/o real calculattion… So, maybe it’s quicker to compute TSL difference… Don’t know !

Rather than calculate, I would set the info palette to display the HSL/TSL values during the adjustment, or type the RGB values into the picker, and write down the corresponding HSV / TSL values.
….

Color picker access via the Replace Color dialog is supported at least as early as Photoshop CS. I don’t know if PS 7 supports it. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
G
gluble
Dec 16, 2006
In article <zXzgh.13666$>, RE-
says…
Color picker access via the Replace Color dialog is supported at least as early as Photoshop CS. I don’t know if PS 7 supports it.

We’ll, I’ve simply downloaded Photoshop CS2 9 Trial and installed it in a separate operating system (multi-boot machine) since I don’t know if the version 6 and CS2 9 can cohabite in same system.

Also, I’ve effectively succeeded using the color replacement feature as Don said initially.

Now, I can manage my image serial… And I’ve one month to convince my boss to buy CS2 πŸ™‚
DL
Don Leman
Dec 16, 2006
CS3 beta is out now, with the official release scheduled for early next year. I wonder if your existing copy would qualify you for an upgrade?

Glad to hear you were able to effect the colour change using CS2

Don

wrote in message
In article <zXzgh.13666$>, RE-
says…
Color picker access via the Replace Color dialog is supported at least as early as Photoshop CS. I don’t know if PS 7 supports it.

We’ll, I’ve simply downloaded Photoshop CS2 9 Trial and installed it in a separate operating system (multi-boot machine) since I don’t know if the version 6 and CS2 9 can cohabite in same system.

Also, I’ve effectively succeeded using the color replacement feature as Don said initially.

Now, I can manage my image serial… And I’ve one month to convince my boss to buy CS2 πŸ™‚

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections