Posted By
Liz
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi …

I have PS CS installed on my desktop and laptop (no problems) … I’m going to replace my desktop and was just wondering if I will have any problem re-installing on the new desktop ..

Is there anything special I need to do, like "deactivate" PS before I install on my new computer ?

thanks in advance ….

Liz

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
ronviers
Nov 21, 2006
Liz wrote:
Hi …

I have PS CS installed on my desktop and laptop (no problems) … I’m going to replace my desktop and was just wondering if I will have any problem re-installing on the new desktop ..

Is there anything special I need to do, like "deactivate" PS before I install on my new computer ?

thanks in advance ….

Liz

Hi Liz,
I have never successfully done this. I always end up calling Adobe and getting things straightened out because I have only reinstalled after a catastrophic failure. The way it is supposed to work is that Adobe has an online automated service that is accessed during installation that binds up to two licenses to specific hardware configurations. To avoid human intervention on the part of Adobe (which can be a real pain) you should go to the ‘Help’ ‘Transfer Activation’ options of the PS menus and use that service to notify Adobe’s automated service to unbind one of your licenses. Then during the installation of the new hardware/software PS will once again access Adobe online so the license can be rebinded (rebound?) to the new hardware.

Good luck,
Ron
BH
Bill Hilton
Nov 21, 2006
Liz wrote:

Hi …

Apparently after "a while" they are not as strict about enforcing the "two activations" limit … after I had CS for about a year I put it on a third computer and it activated fine, and I was also able to put it on a 4th laptop a few months ago. So apparently they are religious about enforcement early in the product cycle but let up a bit after "a while" (exactly how long that is I don’t know).

In other words just go ahead and put CS on your new computer and don’t worry about deactivating the old one unless you somehow run into problems, which I doubt will happen.

Bill
L
Liz
Nov 21, 2006
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

I have PS CS installed on my desktop and laptop (no problems) … I’m going
to replace my desktop and was just wondering if I will have any problem re-installing on the new desktop ..

Apparently after "a while" they are not as strict about enforcing the "two activations" limit … after I had CS for about a year I put it on a third computer and it activated fine, and I was also able to put it on a 4th laptop a few months ago. So apparently they are religious about enforcement early in the product cycle but let up a bit after "a while" (exactly how long that is I don’t know).

I put the first CS on my desktop about April 2005, and on my laptop about April 2006; I guess there’s no way to tell if this is "a while" … which is SO goofy .. "a while" ?? I guess maybe what they’re doing is looking out for people who are selling pirate copies and if they see a bunch of activation attempts in a short time, they cut it off ???

I suppose the thing to do is just try it and see what happens … or, as Ron says, do the "transfer activation" process … but I don’t remember seeing that option (I’m using CS 1) …

Adobe should really find a better way to treat it’s paying customers (I’m sure THAT’s been said a few times around here !)

Thanks, guys … hope I don’t have to ask about this again 😉

Liz
M
mike
Nov 21, 2006
Liz said what… on 11/20/2006 11:02 PM:
Hi …

thanks in advance ….

Liz
I just did it this morning. I have a copy at home and work and I’m upgrading my computer, but I didn’t want to be without while I get the new one ready. I ran the install on my new machine and it denied my activation. I tried their phone automation number and that didn’t work either. I stayed on the line and spoke with a live voice and she was very nice and activated my copy without a problem. I told her what I was doing and it didn’t seem to be a problem. BTW – keep the install screen up if it denies you. You’ll have to put in a special activation key in the spaces provided when you call.

I’ll deactivate my old installation and soon as I make the switch over.

mike
L
Liz
Nov 23, 2006
"mike" wrote in message

I just did it this morning. I have a copy at home and work and I’m upgrading my computer, but I didn’t want to be without while I get the new one ready. I ran the install on my new machine and it denied my activation. I tried their phone automation number and that didn’t work either. I stayed on the line and spoke with a live voice and she was very nice and activated my copy without a problem. I told her what I was doing and it didn’t seem to be a problem. BTW – keep the install screen up if it denies you. You’ll have to put in a special activation key in the spaces provided when you call.

so how long was it since you activated each of the first two copies ? maybe we can figure out how long "a while" is …

Liz
D
Davoud
Nov 23, 2006
Liz wrote:

Yes. I recently deactivated CS2 on an old computer and activated it on a new computer. No problem.

Davoud

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
M
mike
Nov 23, 2006
Liz said what… on 11/22/2006 11:42 PM:
"mike" wrote in message

so how long was it since you activated each of the first two copies ? maybe we can figure out how long "a while" is …

Liz
I would say close to two years.

mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections