JM
Posted By
John McWilliams
Nov 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working on finishing up a team photo- a HS, UAS football type of picture, where there are several rows of players in uniform, looking stolidly ahead, etc. nothing too unusual about it, except the lighting: Fill flash was used, but the light was very late afternoon, diffuse through partial cloud cover, and almost straight on the subjects. It wasn’t too hard to get the color balance right, but it seemed counter intuitive to set the temp in PS (actually Lightroom) to around 4,000 when the ‘warmth’ was so apparent. Anyway, that’s an aside.

The matter I am trying to deal with is at the top of the photo, and at the top sides, where the bleacher seats are very apparent, and quite in focus. They are raised and painted aluminum seats on concrete, so that you see about a two inch horizontal strip of purple every couple of feet in the places no one is seated. I’ve tried Gaussian blur at various levels, but am not thrilled with the results. I’ve thought of adding a gradient, but not sure where to go on that. At the top will be large letters with the team name.

It’ll look all right if I don’t do any blur or other technique to lessen the impact of the horizontal lines, or so I believe, as it’s not been done in years before, and most folks looking at it will see the players they know, and not be concerned with what I see as a glaring deficiency….

Or will they?

John McWilliams

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
mike
Nov 20, 2006
John McWilliams said what… on 11/20/2006 12:54 PM:
I am working on finishing up a team photo- a HS, UAS football type of picture, where there are several rows of players in uniform, looking stolidly ahead, etc. nothing too unusual about it, except the lighting: Fill flash was used, but the light was very late afternoon, diffuse through partial cloud cover, and almost straight on the subjects. It wasn’t too hard to get the color balance right, but it seemed counter intuitive to set the temp in PS (actually Lightroom) to around 4,000 when the ‘warmth’ was so apparent. Anyway, that’s an aside.
The matter I am trying to deal with is at the top of the photo, and at the top sides, where the bleacher seats are very apparent, and quite in focus. They are raised and painted aluminum seats on concrete, so that you see about a two inch horizontal strip of purple every couple of feet in the places no one is seated. I’ve tried Gaussian blur at various levels, but am not thrilled with the results. I’ve thought of adding a gradient, but not sure where to go on that. At the top will be large letters with the team name.

It’ll look all right if I don’t do any blur or other technique to lessen the impact of the horizontal lines, or so I believe, as it’s not been done in years before, and most folks looking at it will see the players they know, and not be concerned with what I see as a glaring deficiency….

Or will they?
J,

what about using the lens blurr tool (CS and above I believe) with the cutout of the team being the mask? It’s very configurable so you might get some favorable results.

mike
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 20, 2006
"John McWilliams" wrote in message

Often when blurring or darkening does not get the look you (or the customer) wants, you can get away with desaturating the background. In this case that would get rid of the distracting purple color. After that, try a little darkening perhaps to make the seats stand out less.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections