S
Posted By
staeri
Nov 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select cut or copy after selecting a part of an image with the rect. marquee tool I get a message telling me "Could not complete the copy command".

How should I do to select and copy a part of an image into a new file? I’m using Photoshop v 8.0.

// SE

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
ronviers
Nov 16, 2006
wrote:
When I select cut or copy after selecting a part of an image with the rect. marquee tool I get a message telling me "Could not complete the copy command".

How should I do to select and copy a part of an image into a new file? I’m using Photoshop v 8.0.

// SE

It could be that you are on an invisible layer, an empty layer or an adjustment layer with no mask.

Good luck,
Ron
S
staeri
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, thanks!

Is there a way to make the selection go through all layers so that I can copy it anyway?

// SE

skrev:

wrote:

// SE

It could be that you are on an invisible layer, an empty layer or an adjustment layer with no mask.

Good luck,
Ron
R
ronviers
Nov 16, 2006
wrote:
Ok, thanks!

Is there a way to make the selection go through all layers so that I can copy it anyway?

// SE

skrev:

wrote:

// SE

Good luck,
Ron

You could ‘Stamp’ Cntrl-Alt-Shift-E or ‘Merge’
right-click-merge-visible the layers. But I am not sure that is what you have in mind.

Ron
J
j
Nov 16, 2006
wrote:
[…]

The very best way does not eat up memory. Do not copy and paste to a new image. Instead, have both images open in the window. Select from one, then DRAG the selection to the other image. (SHIFT-DRAG if you want it to be in the same relative position.)

(This is the method Adobe recommends, not just hearsay.)
K
KatWoman
Nov 18, 2006
wrote in message
wrote:
Ok, thanks!

// SE

skrev:

wrote:

How should I do to select and copy a part of an image into a new file?
I’m using Photoshop v 8.0.

// SE

Good luck,
Ron

You could ‘Stamp’ Cntrl-Alt-Shift-E or ‘Merge’
right-click-merge-visible the layers. But I am not sure that is what you have in mind.

no don;t do that
you might forget and leave it merged
select the area or the whole canvas
make sure you are in a layer that has content
from the menu use copy merged
R
ronviers
Nov 19, 2006
KatWoman wrote:

no don;t do that
you might forget and leave it merged
select the area or the whole canvas
make sure you are in a layer that has content
from the menu use copy merged

I know I go out on a limb by trying to help so thanks following up. Hopefully the OP will not get too far off track.

Now, I get ‘copy merged’ command but I do not really understand its counterpart, the ‘paste into’ command. How does ‘paste into’ differ from ‘paste’ and does ‘copy’ and ‘copy merged’ share the same buffer?

Thanks,
Ron
T
Tacit
Dec 9, 2006
In article ,
"" wrote:

Now, I get ‘copy merged’ command but I do not really understand its counterpart, the ‘paste into’ command. How does ‘paste into’ differ from ‘paste’ and does ‘copy’ and ‘copy merged’ share the same buffer?

Paste Into pastes into a selection or mask.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
R
ronviers
Dec 9, 2006
tacit wrote:
In article ,
"" wrote:

Paste Into pastes into a selection or mask.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

Oh! That could be very useful.

Thanks,
Ron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections