Save a selection for use by other programs?

A
Posted By
arnstein
Nov 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop CS2, but I don’t know a lot about it.

I would like to do some computations on pieces of an image, I don’t believe that Photoshop can do these computations for me. A bit of a research project for me.

The "pieces" I refer to would be spatial pieces, such as a rectangle, an ellipse, or a human face, carefully traced out by hand.

I would like to use the nice features of Photohop to define the selection: rectangle, ellipse, etc. Then, I would like to save the selection as a disk file.

Can Photoshop do this? I don’t know what form the disk file would take, perhaps a binary (one bit deep) image file? Obviously, I would also need a software definition of the file format, so that I could interpret it in my own software.

Thanks for any suggestions!

David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+ {{ }}
^^

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GR
Grant Robertson
Nov 13, 2006
In article <ej97cl$s3k$ says…
I would like to use the nice features of Photohop to define the selection: rectangle, ellipse, etc. Then, I would like to save the selection as a disk file.

Make your selection, hit ctrl-J to copy that to another layer, turn off the background layer by clicking the eyeball in the layers pane, save as your file.

I have only been using PS7 for about a month. Someone else may have a better way.
T
Tacit
Nov 13, 2006
In article <ej97cl$s3k$>,
(David Arnstein) wrote:

Can Photoshop do this? I don’t know what form the disk file would take, perhaps a binary (one bit deep) image file?

Absolutely. In fact, that is what the "Save Selection" command under the Select menu is for.

Choose Select->Save Selection. In the Save Selection dialog, set your destination to New Document. You will end up with a grayscale file. Save it in any format you wish.

Note that a selection is grayscale, not a 1-bit bitmap, because it is possible for a part of the image to be partially selected (as in a selection with a feathered edge, for example).

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections