RF
Posted By
Robert Feinman
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A couple of weeks ago I asked if anyone had suggestions for image cataloging software. I got several suggestions, but they all fail to handle photoshop layered images that are saved without a flattened preview.

So I’ve adopted this somewhat crude method instead.
I insert each of my archived image CDs and using the photoshop contact sheet II process, I make a page from all the images on the disc. I then label the image with the disc ID and put into a folder.
This works for me since I typically only get about 15-20 images on a CD.

Now I can browse through all the thumbnails using a slide show or anything else since the contact sheets are simple jpegs. This doesn’t have any search or catalog capabilities, but at least it lets me view all the images without using photoshop.

Maybe it’s obvious, but I haven’t seen anyone mention this idea. —
Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
http://robertdfeinman.com
mail:

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Pepe
Aug 31, 2004
No 1 in handling Photos.
http://www.fotostation.com/
Handling PhotoShop.psd
Makes Thumbnails aso.
Try it you’ll like it!

Pepe
HF
H Fang
Sep 6, 2004
robert,

try thumbsplus by cerious software.

it handles psd files with layers and has a pretty good meta data management features for cataloguing your pictures.

"Robert Feinman" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I asked if anyone had suggestions for image cataloging software. I got several suggestions, but they all fail to handle photoshop layered images that are saved without a flattened preview.

I insert each of my archived image CDs and using the photoshop contact sheet II process, I make a page from all the images on the disc. I then label the image with the disc ID and put into a folder.

Now I can browse through all the thumbnails using a slide show or anything else since the contact sheets are simple jpegs. This doesn’t have any search or catalog capabilities, but at least it lets me view all the images without using photoshop.
Robert D Feinman
mail:
B
bagal
Sep 7, 2004
Do these cost money?

What advantages do they have over XnView and Picasa that are worth non-commercial users spending hard earned spondoolies?

Articus

"H Fang" wrote in message
robert,

try thumbsplus by cerious software.

it handles psd files with layers and has a pretty good meta data management features for cataloguing your pictures.

"Robert Feinman" wrote in message

Robert D Feinman
mail:

H
Hecate
Sep 8, 2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:08:53 GMT, "Articus Drools" wrote:

Do these cost money?

What advantages do they have over XnView and Picasa that are worth non-commercial users spending hard earned spondoolies?
ThumbsPlus costs money. I’ve been using it since version 3.x. There isn’t a better image database around. There’s a free trial at www.cerious.com

TP is well supported, with a good community on it’s own newsserver. You can request features and the developers answer and will often include anything that’s useful to you. The database features alone are worth having if you have a large number of images and there are a lot of built in image manipulation features. I know some people who do absolutely everything to their images in ThumbsPlus. It uses colour management correctly as well. There are far too many features for me to go through in a newsgroup post. Try it for yourself and see, and if you want to ask questions use the newsgroups at news.cerious.com.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections