Just installed PS 6 – Warning: primary scratch and windows’ primary paging file on the same volume

D
Posted By
dave
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The full warning reads:

You currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch and windows’ primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary
scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical
drive.

Nice of them to tell us what menu to use to correct this. I couldn’t find any reference to this in help.
I pulgged these exact words into search and it didn’t find any reference to this.

I’m a computer programmer and I’d have failed any course I ever took in programming if I wrote a program that was
anything like this.

What’s up Adobe !!??

Does anyone know how I can set the volumes for Adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch and windows’
primary paging file.

Please help. Thanks !

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Jim
Aug 26, 2004
"dave" wrote in message
The full warning reads:

You currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch and windows’ primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary
drive.

Nice of them to tell us what menu to use to correct this. I couldn’t find any reference to this in help.
I pulgged these exact words into search and it didn’t find any reference
to
this.

I’m a computer programmer and I’d have failed any course I ever took in programming if I wrote a program that was
anything like this.

What’s up Adobe !!??

Does anyone know how I can set the volumes for Adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch and windows’
primary paging file.
Certainly. It is part of the preferences which you will find under the edit tab. I found the reference in the help file under Scratch disk.

By the way, that is merely a warning. It is correct that PS will run faster if its scratch disk is different from the one which contains the Windows page file. However, its performance won’t be too bad if you just ignore the warning.

Jim
D
dave
Aug 26, 2004
"Jim" wrote in message
"dave" wrote in message
The full warning reads:

drive.

I pulgged these exact words into search and it didn’t find any reference
to
this.

anything like this.

What’s up Adobe !!??

primary paging file.
Certainly. It is part of the preferences which you will find under the
edit
tab. I found the reference in the help file under Scratch disk.
By the way, that is merely a warning. It is correct that PS will run
faster
if its scratch disk is different from the one which contains the Windows page file. However, its performance won’t be too bad if you just ignore
the
warning.

Jim

Thanks. I missed the Scratch disk part of preferences when I looked at it after I got the error msg. I just now set the first one to C:\ and the Second to D:\
V
Voivod
Aug 26, 2004
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:23:03 GMT, "dave"
scribbled:

The full warning reads:

drive.

Nice of them to tell us what menu to use to correct this.

Nice of you not to look.

I couldn’t find any reference to this in help.

I found a reference when searching for ‘scratch’. Look harder.

I pulgged these exact words into search and it didn’t find any reference to this.

Look harder.

anything like this.

You wish you could write something as successful as Photoshop.

What’s up Adobe !!??

primary paging file.

Please help. Thanks !

It’s in your preferences where Adobe expects you to look. If you’re not seeing it, look harder.
B
Bryce
Aug 26, 2004
You know…. being a "computer programer", one would think you would have been able to…… well, nevermind.
EC
Ed Clarke
Aug 26, 2004
In article <LJeXc.4180$Y%>, dave wrote:

By the way, that is merely a warning. It is correct that PS will run faster if its scratch disk is different from the one which contains the Windows page file. However, its performance won’t be too bad if you just ignore the warning.

Thanks. I missed the Scratch disk part of preferences when I looked at it after I got the error msg. I just now set the first one to C:\ and the Second to D:\

I think I disagree…

Photoshop is a very expensive and resource intensive program. Wouldn’t you want it to run as well as it can? Here’s what I did, you might consider something similar.

1.) Bought a full sized tower case
2.) Stuck a fan whereever one could fit
3.) Bought a cheap BusLogic SCSI card
4.) Bought two cheap 4 GB SCSI drives

The tower case, power and cooling let me run as many drives as will fit in the machine. I’m using a Maxtor 60GB IDE drive for booting Win/2k pro, and have another 3GB IDE drive partitioned into three drives to hold junk like games and mp3s. The two SCSI drives are single partitions and one is dedicated to the Win2k swap drive and the other is used only for Photoshop scratch.

They’re practically giving 50 pin SCSI drives away on eBay ( I see one auction selling five 4.3GB drives for $1.99 ) and a controller should be less than twenty dollars. Go for it!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections