M
Posted By
mistral
Sep 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just wondering – has anyone tried using Photoshop 7.0 on win98 machine? I want install it on PIII 866MHz 127MB RAM, Win 98SE machine. Is this configuration enough for Photoshop 7.0?

mistral

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RG
Roy G
Sep 9, 2006
"mistral" wrote in message
Just wondering – has anyone tried using Photoshop 7.0 on win98 machine? I want install it on PIII 866MHz 127MB RAM, Win 98SE machine. Is this configuration enough for Photoshop 7.0?

mistral

Hi.

I can’t remember that far back, but if it does work it will be very very slow.

The problem is not so much the processor as the small amount of RAM.

I think I pushed my RAM up to 1 Gig on Win 98, but I think that needed an alteration to the registry, the normal Max being 512 Mb.

Still I don’t think it will break anything if you try.

Roy G
R
Rob
Sep 9, 2006
mistral wrote:

mistral
PS6 is the last one that you can load on a 16bit operating system (W98/ME). XP is a 32 bit OS Your computer will take XP and all the latter Photoshop editions – but fill the ram slots with 256M chips. Even your 128M of ram ( which suggests also, you only have 127M, maybe shared with the video?) is too small to successfully run Photoshop.
J
jimbok
Sep 9, 2006
On 8 Sep 2006 16:53:34 -0700, "mistral"
wrote:

I currently run 7.0 on a win98SE machine with a 360mhz Pentium, but it has 384mb RAM. I would suggest upgrading your RAM and it should run fine, although not super fast.

jimbok
M
mistral
Sep 9, 2006
jimbok писал(а):

wrote:

I currently run 7.0 on a win98SE machine with a 360mhz Pentium, but it has 384mb RAM. I would suggest upgrading your RAM and it should run fine, although not super fast.

jimbok
—-
PS6 is the last one that you can load on a 16bit operating system
(W98/ME). ??

I can upgrade RAM to 512mb, just not sure will PS run fast enough, there is office 2000 and other programs installed.

mistral
RG
Roy G
Sep 9, 2006

jimbok ?????(?):

wrote:

jimbok
—-
(W98/ME). ??

I can upgrade RAM to 512mb, just not sure will PS run fast enough, there is office 2000 and other programs installed.

mistral

Hi.

Ps 7 will install on a Win 98 SE system.

If you upgrade to 512 Mb RAM it will run faster, but "fast enough" has to be defined by yourself. It very much depends on the size of image files you are working with.

Do not run Office or any other programs at the same time as Ps, and limit the number of images you have open at a time to one, if possible.

When it slows up, save your work, close the Image and also close Ps till all the clicking has stopped, then re-open it and start again.

Also ensure you have empty space on your HDD, Ps will use your HDD, as virtual RAM (Scratch Disc), when it has filled your installed RAM.

Roy G
J
jimbok
Sep 10, 2006
On 9 Sep 2006 05:38:00 -0700, "mistral"
wrote:

RoyG’s advice is accurate and good. The number of programs you have installed will have no effect on PS performace as long as those programs are not running while you are using PS. In my slower machine – described earlier – PS7 is quite usable and all functions work. I have loaded three images at a time with no difficulties. The images I work with are jpg’s, usually 3mb or smaller. Each of those images will load into PS in just a second or two. Some PS image functions can take 10 -12 seconds to complete in my machine. To me, that is quite acceptable.

jimbok
M
mistral
Sep 10, 2006
Roy G писал(а):

jimbok ?????(?):

wrote:

jimbok
—-
(W98/ME). ??

mistral

Hi.

Ps 7 will install on a Win 98 SE system.

If you upgrade to 512 Mb RAM it will run faster, but "fast enough" has to be defined by yourself. It very much depends on the size of image files you are working with.

Do not run Office or any other programs at the same time as Ps, and limit the number of images you have open at a time to one, if possible.
When it slows up, save your work, close the Image and also close Ps till all the clicking has stopped, then re-open it and start again.
Also ensure you have empty space on your HDD, Ps will use your HDD, as virtual RAM (Scratch Disc), when it has filled your installed RAM.
Roy G
————
Thanks for tipps. Will try.

mistral

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections