N
Posted By
nospam
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys & gals. I have a question about some funkiness in a picture I’m supposed to be retouching. It can be found here:

http://www.faceman.com/stuff/rainbow.jpg

See that oil-slick/rainbow type (almost moire-style) thing going on? Wish I knew the technical term for it, if there is one.. I have never encountered this problem on such a scale.

Would that wierdness be the fault of the photographer, the scanner (image scanned by a bureau from a slide.. sorry I don’t have more details :(), or me?

I’m just curious as to what would cause this.. I can get rid of it, but if I can relay some info that would prevent it from happening in the future, that’d be both time-saving and handy.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Responses may also be sent to

Have a good one,
J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

A
arrooke
Aug 23, 2004
Hey guys & gals. I have a question about some funkiness in a picture I’m supposed to be retouching. It can be found here:

See that oil-slick/rainbow type (almost moire-style) thing going on? Wish I knew the technical term for it, if there is one.. I have never encountered this problem on such a scale.

Would that wierdness be the fault of the photographer, the scanner (image scanned by a bureau from a slide.. sorry I don’t have more details :(), or me?

I’m just curious as to what would cause this.. I can get rid of it, but if I can relay some info that would prevent it from happening in the future, that’d be both time-saving and handy.

Have a good one,
J

Newtons rings (look it up). Try cleaning the scanner glass. Keith.
M
MrFrings
Aug 23, 2004
in article AltWc.57198$, J. Makela at
wrote on 08/23/2004 2:30 PM:

Just smooth that section of the image.
B
bagal
Aug 23, 2004
Oh yeh! Classical m8! Very classical!

This image should be preserved for eternity as a classical example of interference patterns (do a google on interference patterns)

There may be some way to reduce or even remove the effect but I can’t say I know about it

Ask your photographer what the ISO setting & exposure settings were (if it is a JPEG look in the EXIF data)

For brevity I’d be tempted to clone it out, healing brush?

You really, really gorra do a google – a fantastic effect but a shame when you don’t want it.

There must be some way to handle it (remember early television erm longer ago television used to have a similar effect with clothing and they managed to do away with it)

Some digital cameras are more prone to it than others – it is sensor dependent or so I understand (but I will not go into that here 🙂

Arty

"J. Makela" wrote in message

Have a good one,
J
N
nospam
Aug 23, 2004
Okay guys, thanks for the help.. I’m just glad to know it’s not something I’m doing wrong.. I didn’t think it was, but just wasn’t 100%. 🙂

Have a good one
J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections