T
Posted By
tran
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am wanting to do a business where I will need to print clear, crisp pictures and have text right next to it and will need different font sizes and color. Also will need to have divider lines. Will be using bitmap and Jpeg pictures mostly.

Which is my best bet, photoshop or Publisher? I know photoshop cost a lot more.

Thanks
Mark

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TB
Tony Blair
Sep 3, 2006
"tran" wrote in message
I am wanting to do a business where I will need to print clear, crisp pictures and have text right next to it and will need different font sizes and color. Also will need to have divider lines. Will be using bitmap and Jpeg pictures mostly.

Thanks
Mark

I would not use either, I would suggest you check out Serif Page Plus http://www.serif.com/PagePlus/PagePlus11/index.asp
This is desktop publishing at it’s easiest and it includes fairly extensive Photo manipulation software!
R
Roberto
Sep 3, 2006
Of the two programs that you mention I would go with Microsoft Publisher. Photoshop is good for photo editing and manipulation, but IT IS NOT a desktop publishing package which is what you indicated you need.

R

"tran" wrote in message

Thanks
Mark
T
tran
Sep 3, 2006
Does MS Publisher have photo editing capabilities?

Hebee Jeebes wrote:
Of the two programs that you mention I would go with Microsoft Publisher. Photoshop is good for photo editing and manipulation, but IT IS NOT a desktop publishing package which is what you indicated you need.
R

"tran" wrote in message

Thanks
Mark
R
Roberto
Sep 4, 2006
No. But, then Photoshop doesn’t have text capabilities worth beans. One is a Photo editor the other is a desktop publishing program. You use one to edit the photos you want to use in your publisher documents and you use the other to layout your images with the text. They are not interchangeable.

R

"tran" wrote in message
Does MS Publisher have photo editing capabilities?

Hebee Jeebes wrote:
R

"tran" wrote in message

Thanks
Mark
JM
John McWilliams
Sep 4, 2006
Hebee Jeebes wrote:
No. But, then Photoshop doesn’t have text capabilities worth beans.

Rubbish. While it’s not a DT layout program, its text capabilities are strong. The king is Illustrator.

One is a
Photo editor the other is a desktop publishing program. You use one to edit the photos you want to use in your publisher documents and you use the other to layout your images with the text. They are not interchangeable.
InDesign works with PS quite nicely.

John McWilliams
BK
Bill K
Sep 4, 2006
John McWilliams wrote:
Hebee Jeebes wrote:

Rubbish. While it’s not a DT layout program, its text capabilities are strong. The king is Illustrator.

One is a
Photo editor the other is a desktop publishing program. You use one to edit the photos you want to use in your publisher documents and you use the other to layout your images with the text. They are not interchangeable.

John McWilliams

I agree with John. Photoshop and InDesign are the best combinations. I’ve found that programmes that claim a mutltitude of functions are rarely very good at them. Publisher is a desktop publishing programme, not a very good one at that, while PS is for image editing and graphics creation. So, if you want to publish a newsletter or something like that, go with Publisher. Or, if your budget permits, go with Creative Suite 2 which has Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, etc.

Bill in Lake Charles, LA USA
R
Roberto
Sep 4, 2006
Yes, it is so strong that you can’t flow text, you can’t wrap it around text without having to create a ton of text boxes and much more. Don’t be a dumb ass Photoshop is not for document layout and neither is illustrator.

The next thing you will try to tell is notepad is a fully functional word processor.

R

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Hebee Jeebes wrote:

One is a

John McWilliams
JM
John McWilliams
Sep 5, 2006
Hebee Jeebes wrote:
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Hebee Jeebes wrote:

One is a
Yes, it is so strong that you can’t flow text, you can’t wrap it
around text
without having to create a ton of text boxes and much more. Don’t be
a dumb
ass Photoshop is not for document layout and neither is illustrator.

Photoshop has strong text capabilities, as does Illy. Neither, tho, is layout manager per se. That’d be InDesign, impaired top posting twit.

john mcwilliams
P
PJB
Sep 8, 2006
I would suggest you buy Corel Draw which has a layout program and a Photo editing program.

"tran" wrote in message

Thanks
Mark

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections