J
Posted By
jaysherby
Aug 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone give me some technical specifications on the default setting of the Unsharp Mask tool? My girlfriend is using Photoshop 7 and always uses the default setting on the Unsharp Mask tool as a part of her normal photo processing ritual. I’m trying to write a small script for her to do batch processing with and I need more info on the default setting so I can apply it to my script. I just mentioned the version of Photoshop she’s using because I’m not sure if the default setting has changed in the new versions. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Aug 10, 2006
wrote:

Can someone give me some technical specifications on the default setting of the Unsharp Mask tool? My girlfriend is using Photoshop 7 and always uses the default setting on the Unsharp Mask tool as a part of her normal photo processing ritual. I’m trying to write a small script for her to do batch processing with and I need more info on the default setting so I can apply it to my script. I just mentioned the version of Photoshop she’s using because I’m not sure if the default setting has changed in the new versions. Thanks.

There’s no such thing as a ‘default setting’ which changes with -for example- the size and resolution of the photo. If your girlfriend uses some ‘default setting’, just ask here what this setting is and apply that in the script.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
T
Tacit
Aug 10, 2006
In article ,
wrote:

My girlfriend is using Photoshop 7
and always uses the default setting on the Unsharp Mask tool as a part of her normal photo processing ritual.

Your girlfriend would do well to learn to understand what the settings mean, and use the correct settings for each individual image.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
H
Helen
Aug 10, 2006
wrote in message
Can someone give me some technical specifications on the default setting of the Unsharp Mask tool? My girlfriend is using Photoshop 7

The default USM setting is only usually correct for a default image. RTFM and experiment.
J
jaysherby
Aug 10, 2006
Thanks for nothing. Flamers. I could have at least used a run down of how the unsharp mask algorithm works so I could adapt a similar method in my script.
T
Tacit
Aug 10, 2006
In article ,
wrote:

Thanks for nothing. Flamers. I could have at least used a run down of how the unsharp mask algorithm works so I could adapt a similar method in my script.

Unsharp masking is part art, part science. There is no set way to use it which works for all images.

Generally speaking, however:

The Unsharp Mask filter works by exaggerating areas of high contrast–ie, edges. This gives the appearance of sharper edges, and increases the apparent overall sharpness of the image. While it can’t make a blurred or out-of-focus image sharp (nothing can do this), it can dramatically increase the perception of sharpness. And unsharp masking is a requirement to get good-looking images in print.

The Amount slider dictates how much edges are increased in contrast. If the value in this slider is too high, the image will appear to have "halos" around the edges.

The Radius slider determines how wide the area of enhanced contrast is around edges. In general, the amount you put in the Radius field depends on the resolution of the image; the higher the resolution in pixels per inch, the wider the Radius.

A good place to start is (image resolution/200). If the image is screen resolution–100 pixels per inch or less–try a Radius of 1. Increasing the Radius will also create undesireable halos around edges.

If you are sharpening an image which will be printed on a printing press, and your image is the recommended resolution (twice the frequency of the halftone you will be using to reproduce the image on press), use a Radius of (halftone screen/100). So, for example, if your image is being printed on press with a 150-line-per-inch halftone, use a Radius value of 1.5.

The Threshold command determines how far apart two neighboring pixels must be in tonal value in order to be sharpened. I usually start with a Threshold of 3. Lower Threshold values exaggerate noise along with edges; higher values don’t sharpen noise, but also produce more muted sharpening overall.

Note that if your image is intended for print, you should set the Amount value so that the image looks slightly over-sharpened on your screen! This is because the process of halftoning the image for print decreases the apparent sharpness of the image (which is why all images should have USM applied if they are going to be used for print).

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
T
toby
Aug 11, 2006
wrote:

Tacit’s summary is great, to which I would only add: USM workflow is somewhat different conceptually in web and print. Print use cases are quite varied and very dependent on source material and reproduction process (it would take a few thousand words to cover the different scenarios – newsprint, offset, FM etc).

Web workflow is simpler – partly because final resolution is more or less fixed – and while still source material dependent, you can sometimes make useful standard (‘default’) settings. For making thumbnails, for instance (say a 100×100 thumb), I have found Amount 150% Radius 0.5 Threshold 3 applied after downsizing works well in most cases (good for batch work). The actual values are a little subjective, as in print, which is why mentioning *specific* values is sure to provoke some bickering. 🙂
N
nomail
Aug 11, 2006
wrote:

You don’t understand. There is no ‘default setting’ that somehow changes for each image. If you do not change any settings manually, Unsharp Mask will use the same settings as it did on the last occasion. Like I said before: your girlfriend is simply using the same settings for each image, so just ask her what these settings are and record them in your script if that is what she wants to use.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
E
Eatmorepies
Aug 11, 2006
Your girlfriend would do well to learn to understand what the settings mean, and use the correct settings for each individual image.

Google for ‘biglow’. He has some excellent tutorials on sharpening.

John
H
Helen
Aug 11, 2006
wrote in message

You demonstrated perfectly the art of failing to understand something. You didn’t actually ask how USM works. You asked all about the default settings thereof.
MV
My View
Aug 11, 2006
You’ll find the first article here http://tinyurl.com/bqz52

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

Google for ‘biglow’. He has some excellent tutorials on sharpening.
John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections