Posted By
D
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

I have a greyscale image which I need to convert to a transparency format, so that black remains black, but the greys get more transparent the lighter the get, so that white is fully transparent.

I am using Photoshop 6. The Gradient Map function appears to do what I want, there is an option for "Foreground to Transparent", but the image goes all black (foreground) when I try it, not gradiated black/transparent as expected.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

D

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
Demolisher
Jul 28, 2004
"D" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a greyscale image which I need to convert to a transparency format, so that black remains black, but the greys get more transparent the
lighter
the get, so that white is fully transparent.

I am using Photoshop 6. The Gradient Map function appears to do what I
want,
there is an option for "Foreground to Transparent", but the image goes all black (foreground) when I try it, not gradiated black/transparent as expected.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

1. Copy the image to a channel.
2. Invert the channel
3. You can now use that channel as a transparency mask

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections