Posted By
Alain_M
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m creating an action that copies one layer from one document to another, but when I clicked on the document where the new paste should go the action recorded "Select Next Document". The problem is that when I have more than one picture open "Next Document" may not be the one where I want the paste.

My question: Can I select a Document by its name (which is already open), so that the action knows exactly which document to paste it onto. This way it wouldn’t mess up even if there is more than one document open.

Thanks in advance

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Mar 4, 2004
Alain,

Can I select a Document by its name

No. The way you’re trying to do it can be done, but it’s messy, and the way actions and photoshop work, it is error prone – specifically, the error you are encountering can’t be controlled for.

Depending on the layer content of what you are trying to drag, it may be easier to create an action that recreates that layer on the target image. You *can* include things in your action that open or apply saved styles, saved curves or levels, saved patterns, etc. So that may be something to think about.

If you have trouble automating it with an action, tell us what is on the layer you are trying to drag over, and there may be an easier way to recreate it as needed, with an action.

Peace,
Tony
AM
Alain_M
Mar 4, 2004
Tony,

Thank you very much for your response. I’ll try and explain what I’m doing but it might be a little complicated, so bare with me.

I have a picture of a person in a transparent layer (just the person, no background), and I need to copy and paste that person onto templates that I created. These templates are 8×10, 5×7, 4×6, and wallet size. And as I’m sure you know these sizes are not proportional so I can’t srink an 8×10 to a 5×7 without cropping the document. So the only choice I see is to paste the person onto these templates. So I want to create an action that does it all without me interfering (I have to do it for 250 people…u c my problem)

Does a better way of doing this come to mind? Did you understand what I’m trying to do?

Thanks in advance,
Alain
Y
YrbkMgr
Mar 4, 2004
I understand.

The way I see it you have two routes: automating cropping/resizing, or Paste from clipboard.

The only way to use the paste technique is to to copy the person into clipboard first, then automate the paste/position aspects. That means that the person has to be in clipboard first.

Automating the cropping/resizing isn’t a bad route to choose, and is probably where I’d focus for that many people/images. You could do it two ways: person focused, or image size focused. That means you can automate it by creating all 8 x 10’s, then all 5 x7’s, etc., or you can start with John, create 8 x 10, duplicate image, create 5 x7 crop, rinse and repeat.

You might also play with File|Automate|Picture Package.

Those are the only suggestions I can make based on what you’re trying to accomplish, but if you go the crop/resize route, and need help automating it, let us know.

Peace,
Tony
AM
Alain_M
Mar 4, 2004
I can’t use the cropping approach because the backround has a border, which I will stay away from next time I do this.

About copying to the clipboard, I would still need to stop the Action, select the corresponding document, and hit play again to continue, so I’m back where I started.

The way I have it right now is with a Stop, but once the stop window pops up, it doesn’t let you do anything else. I have to click stop, then select the right documet, and hit play again. Can I pause an action but still have some control to at least select the document, then hit continue?

thanks again
Y
YrbkMgr
Mar 4, 2004
Alain,

I can’t use the cropping approach because the backround has a border, which I will stay away from next time I do this.

You could always create templates, and have your action open a specific template for a particular operation.

Can I pause an action but still have some control to at least select the document, then hit continue?

Only when there is a dialog box involved, such as text, levels, filters, etc.

The way you’re doing it is about the only way, unless you choose the template/resize/crop route.

At least that’s all I can think of.

Peace,
Tony
AM
Alain_M
Mar 4, 2004
thank you tony,

You have been very helpful.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections