Posted By
nicoles
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I made a little text on my photoshop7 image, and applied the "bevel and emboss" effect. When I try to flatten the image, or to save it as jpeg, my effect disappears. I also tried to add a transparent layer below, and do "merge down", but the effect still disappears.
Is there any way to make this effect permanent when saving in jpeg the photoshop image ? Thank you very much for any help.

Nicole

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
d._wade_thompson
Feb 26, 2004
I made a little text on my photoshop7 image

a little more info will probably help. what size is your image, what size is your text, are you viewing it at 100%?

wade
Y
YrbkMgr
Feb 26, 2004
Nicole,

are you viewing it at 100%?

To expand on Wades sage comments, any view other than 100% mag is an approximation of the image. It is commonly reported that effects seem to disappear when flattening or after applying the effect.

The best way to see what’s happening is zoom to 100%, then use your history palette to evaluate the specific area before and after flattening.

Peace,
Tony
N
nicoles
Feb 27, 2004
My image is 6300×3600, the text is at 300 dpi, and I used to look at it at 16.7%. It’s true that at 100% the effect is still there, even after flattening. It seems like the effect appears much bigger than it really is at 16.7%. Probably I should "emboss" more, in order to get something visible when printing at 300 dpi. My goal is to have a nice effect at printing, I really don’t care about what I see on the screen.
There is also a filter , "Stylize", with an emboss option, and this one stays even after flattening the image, at 16.7%. But the emboss is a little ugly. Why are these different ? And what’s the difference between a layer style and a filter ? Yes, I’m a Photoshop beginner …

Thank you very much for your remarks.

Nicole

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections