Posted By
sheri
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

I’m sure this is probably a ridiculous question, but…I’m just trying to get rolling in web design and PhotoShop and I’m struggling here…

To get a better feel for web graphics and using PhotoShop, I bought a book that provided a bunch of templates. I made changes to the html pages and the .jpgs and .gifs to create my own test site. On my pc, the site looks great (well, for a newbie!). But if I transfer the pages to the web, the framework and verbiage show correctly, but all the images are missing.

On the templates, the structure is /maindirectory/images/sources.

Maindirectory holds the htmls (including a "framework" html). Images, of course, images. Sources holds one .psd file, which if I open in PhotoShop, shows the basic framework of the original (the book’s site).

I’m guessing this PSD is something I need to learn about, but I’m not quite sure what the role is. Pointers in any direction would be very helpful.

If it’s helpful for me to post the code, I can do that as well.

Thanks so much.

Cheers!
Sheri

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
nospam
Nov 24, 2003
In article ,
(sheri) wrote:

Greetings,

I’m sure this is probably a ridiculous question, but…I’m just trying to get rolling in web design and PhotoShop and I’m struggling here…
To get a better feel for web graphics and using PhotoShop, I bought a book that provided a bunch of templates. I made changes to the html pages and the .jpgs and .gifs to create my own test site. On my pc, the site looks great (well, for a newbie!). But if I transfer the pages to the web, the framework and verbiage show correctly, but all the images are missing.

Maindirectory holds the htmls (including a "framework" html). Images, of course, images. Sources holds one .psd file, which if I open in PhotoShop, shows the basic framework of the original (the book’s site).

Why not post the web address of your site? We can look at the HTML code and probably figure it out.

One possible mistake is sending the images in the wrong ‘mode’. Images are ‘binary’ and have to be uploaded in binary mode, but most transfer methods take care of all that properly for you, so I suspect the directory structure you show. Your web server’s directory should look like the one on your PC. Usually it is something like "/images/filename.gif" and "sources/mypage.html" and not strung together like you show it.
R
RTM
Nov 24, 2003
PSD is not a web-compatible format. Your images should be in either .jpg or ..gif format for use on a website.

Ron.

sheri wrote in message
Greetings,

I’m guessing this PSD is something I need to learn about, but I’m not quite sure what the role is. Pointers in any direction would be very helpful.

If it’s helpful for me to post the code, I can do that as well.
Thanks so much.

Cheers!
Sheri
S
sheri
Nov 24, 2003
"RTM" …
PSD is not a web-compatible format. Your images should be in either .jpg or .gif format for use on a website.

Ron.

The actual images, in the images folder, are jpgs and gifs. The sources folder, though, is part of the template and includes the psd file. I’m not sure if I need it for the actual webpage or not, just trying to figure out its role. In the html, there are no references to the sources folder (that I can see).

Here’s the test site:

http://www.dancingostrich.com/DalesDOG/INDEX.HTM

Is there maybe some other formatting I need to do to the images to make them web-compatible???

Thanks very much!!
Sheri
S
sheri
Nov 24, 2003
Why not post the web address of your site? We can look at the HTML code and probably figure it out.

One possible mistake is sending the images in the wrong ‘mode’. Images are ‘binary’ and have to be uploaded in binary mode, but most transfer methods take care of all that properly for you, so I suspect the directory structure you show. Your web server’s directory should look like the one on your PC. Usually it is something like "/images/filename.gif" and "sources/mypage.html" and not strung together like you show it.

Thanks for the help.

Here’s the test site:

I’m using Windows Explorer to ftp the files – I’ve used it for other images, so I would think the mode would be okay, but…you never know.

I’m not sure what you mean by strung together like I show it. The directory sturcture looks right to me, but I could be missing something.

DalesDOG folder holds the html files and the images directory.

DalesDOG/images hold the images (jpgs and gifs) and the sources directory.

DalesDOG/images/sources holds the mystery psd file which I’m beginning to think I don’t need…

Hope this helps clarify – I think you are right that I’m missing something in the structure or the files themselves – that makes the most sense – I just can’t see where it is happening.

Thanks so much!
Cheers–
Sheri
L
lkrz
Nov 24, 2003

DalesDOG/images/sources holds the mystery psd file which I’m beginning to think I don’t need…

The images aren’t where the web page is looking for them or they aren’t called what the web page is calling them.
Are all the names of the images in lower case? They are on the web page. The case on the page and on the images need to match.
Explorer may be turning them into caps. If so, that’s the problem.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography
E
edjh
Nov 24, 2003
LauraK wrote:

The images aren’t where the web page is looking for them or they aren’t called what the web page is calling them.
Are all the names of the images in lower case? They are on the web page. The case on the page and on the images need to match.

You can confirm this by typing in the path of any image in CAPS in the location bar of your browser and hit Enter. Voila, the image appears!

Either change the file names in the folder or the html to match.

Are you uploading your Sources directory (psd)? No need to do that. —
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
T
tacitr
Nov 24, 2003
The actual images, in the images folder, are jpgs and gifs. The sources folder, though, is part of the template and includes the psd file. I’m not sure if I need it for the actual webpage or not, just trying to figure out its role.

You do not need it on the Web server.

Is there maybe some other formatting I need to do to the images to make them web-compatible???

No. The problem is in the HTML, not in the images.

Either you have not set up the images folder the way you think you have (they are in a folder called "images’ located inside a folder called "DalesDOG", right?), or you have not named the images right (to a Web server, "Logo_Left," "LOGO_LEFT," and "logo_left" are all DIFFERENT names–if you look for a file called "logo_left" and the file is actually called "LOGO_LEFT," it WILL NOT work).

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
RTM
Nov 24, 2003
Sorry, I was thrown by the line where you mentioned learning more about PSD. —

Ron.

sheri wrote in message
The actual images, in the images folder, are jpgs and gifs. The sources folder, though, is part of the template and includes the psd file. I’m not sure if I need it for the actual webpage or not, just trying to figure out its role. In the html, there are no references to the sources folder (that I can see).

Here’s the test site:

Thanks very much!!
Sheri
S
sheri
Nov 24, 2003

Thank you thank you! I feel like an idiot. Yes, all syntax. Also, the image folders was all caps and that didn’t work on the web, although it worked fine on my pc. Now I know…caps really do matter in html.

Cheers!
Sheri
L
lkrz
Nov 24, 2003
Thank you thank you! I feel like an idiot. Yes, all syntax. Also, the image folders was all caps and that didn’t work on the web, although it worked fine on my pc. Now I know…caps really do matter in html.

I’d strongly urge you to buy the book "HTML for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro. It’s a Peachpit Press Visual Quick Start Guide. It is an easy to understand, straightforward guide to basic HTML that also makes an excellent reference book when you need to figure out why something doesn’t work.

TC
Tony Cooper
Nov 24, 2003
On 24 Nov 2003 06:30:48 -0800, (sheri) wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Here’s the test site:

Wouldn’t that be "Dale’s Dutch Oven Gathering"? You may please the gourmands, but you’ll give the pedants a stomach-ache without the apostrophe.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections