Y
Posted By
YrbkMgr
Jul 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Seek out and find all occurrances of AdobeFnt.Lst on your system. Rename these with an OLD extension (make sure you aren’t running PS or Acrobat), and restart photoshop. All Acrobat and Photoshop (and others ?) rebuild the font list if it doesn’t exist, so no harm done.

See if that solves it.

Peace,
Tony

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JB
Jay Byrne
Jul 2, 2003
What do you do with those *.Lst files?
DM
dave milbut
Jul 2, 2003
delete them, they’ll be recreated when PS starts again!
JB
Jay Byrne
Jul 2, 2003
What if none of them are in the photoshop folder and some belong to other photoshop programs?
JB
Jay Byrne
Jul 2, 2003
Didn’t work at any rate.
JB
Jay Byrne
Jul 2, 2003
Apparently the plugins thing works (renaming or moving the folder)…But like HS said above, I need to use those, and I tried all the other suggestions given before I renamed the plug-in folder, so does anyone know the actual solution to this problem?
MT
Mike Tiktinsky
Jul 3, 2003
Well, I renamed the 2 instances of AdobeFnt.Lst that I found. PS booted up fine. Closed out, reopened and it worked fine. Then I rebooted the computer and it hangs on fonts again.

Do I have too many fonts? Is there something else going on that PS does not like (I am running Windows XP)?

By the way, YrbkMgr and Dave Milbut; thanks very much for your solutions. I really appreciate the time you have taken to point me in the right direction.

Mike
DM
dave milbut
Jul 3, 2003
how many fonts do you have mike? also it’s possible you have more than one bad font…
MT
Mike Tiktinsky
Jul 3, 2003
I count 70 fonts (unfortunately, Windows Explorer no longer counts the number of selected files). I deleted some wordperfect fonts simply because I don’t think I would ever need them. But these obviously were not the problem.

However, when I delete those AdobeFnt.Lst files (rename them), everything works perfectly. I have opened and closed PS many times and it works every time which suggests to me that the fonts are not corrupted. However, it is only after I reboot the computer (restart, not turn off and turn on again) that I get the problem.
Hrmmmph! I must believe it has something to do with Windows XP, but who knows. Is there any known problem with McAfee? It loads automatically with a spam screening program–could that be a problem? What about Norton system works? Any problems with that?

Thanks.

Mike
DM
dave milbut
Jul 3, 2003
Turn off all norton system works stuff except for anti virus! that MIGHT be it!

if that doesn’t work and if windows is no longer counting selected files you MIGHT have a problem w/xp… how do you feel about reloading it?
MT
Mike Tiktinsky
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure what that means. If it means a reformatting of the disk and reloading all of the programs, not good since I just re-did this because of a complete system crash and thus an upgrade from 2000 professional to XP professional. But, if that is what is necessary, I, ugh, will maybe be willing to try that. I will try turning off Norton and see if that works first.

Thanks.

Mike
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2003
Hmm, might be that you need to do a nice clean install of XP instead of just the upgrade. Upgrades can be a bit flaky I do believe- but Dave’s our expert on this so he’ll let me know if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick there!
MT
Mike Tiktinsky
Jul 4, 2003
It was a clean install; not an upgrade; since the hard disk crashed, they put a new version of XP on, not an upgrade.

Mike
JW
Jonathan Weber
Jul 4, 2003
Eureka! I reset my Adobe Preferences by hitting Control-Alt_Shift during the boot of Photoshop and I am back in business. Thanks to Dave M. who posted this solution a couple of months back. I thought I was screwed royally! There is no program that I use more than Photoshop and trying to do my customers work in Paint Shop Pro 8 was no picnic! It is now 2am in the morning EDT and I have been trying to solve this problem since 9am! Happy July 4th everyone!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections