C
Posted By
core
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using the Rectangular Marquee Tool to make a selection. Once selections are made, the selected item has rounded corners. Is there a preference that needs to be changed to retain the rectangular selection?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
bhilton665
Nov 23, 2003

I am using the Rectangular Marquee Tool to make a selection. Once selections are made, the selected item has rounded corners. Is there a preference that needs to be changed to retain the rectangular selection?

Set feather = 0
T
tacitr
Nov 24, 2003
I am using the Rectangular Marquee Tool to make a selection. Once selections are made, the selected item has rounded corners.

It doesn’t actually have rounded corners; the marching ants have rounded corners because you have instructed Photoshop to apply a feather to the rectangual marquee.

Use the Options bar to set the feather to 0.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Feb 14, 2004
Occasionaly this tool switches from sharp 90 degree corners to very slightly rounded "corners". I’m sure something I’m doing is causing this but the only way I’ve found to get it back to normal is to close the program and reset my preferences on startup. Not a disaster but very annoying. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,

Bob

(PE 1 on Windows XP Home, Memory 512 mb, 100 gigs free space)
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 14, 2004
When you select the Rectangular Marquee tool, there’s a place on the Option Bar where you can set Feathering. Make sure it’s set to 0. Having a number in there will cause the corners to become rounded. The higher the number, the more rounding.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 14, 2004
And using Select>Modify (contract or expand) seems to round off the corners also.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Feb 14, 2004
Beth and Nancy,

Thank you. Actually, I was playing with both feathering and Select>Modify the other day but didn’t put 2 and 2 together.

So much to learn, so little time.

Bob
J
Jack
May 20, 2006
I use the rectangular marquee tool quite often, but it somehow began rounding the corners of the rectangle. I have not been able to find any solution in the help files nor the McClelland CS Bible. Any references to rounded corners with the marquee tool seem to indicate that is only featured in Photoshop Image Ready. Strangely, if I go to Image Ready and use the rectangular marquee tool it does not round the corners.

How can I set PS CS2 to return to rectangular selections without rounded corners?

Jack
RB
Rudy Benner
May 20, 2006
"Jack" wrote in message
I use the rectangular marquee tool quite often, but it somehow began rounding the corners of the rectangle. I have not been able to find any solution in the help files nor the McClelland CS Bible. Any references to rounded corners with the marquee tool seem to indicate that is only featured in Photoshop Image Ready. Strangely, if I go to Image Ready and use the rectangular marquee tool it does not round the corners.
How can I set PS CS2 to return to rectangular selections without rounded corners?

Jack

Feather – use a low number like zero.
J
Jack
May 21, 2006
I have no idea what that means.

"Rudy Benner" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message

Jack

T
themink
May 21, 2006
when you select Rectangular marquee you should see a box in the toolbar with "Feather" written to its left…make sure the number inside the box is 0 px.

"Jack" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message

Jack

RB
Rudy Benner
May 21, 2006
Yes, that is what I meant.

"themink" wrote in message
when you select Rectangular marquee you should see a box in the toolbar with "Feather" written to its left…make sure the number inside the box is 0 px.

"Jack" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message

Jack

J
Jack
May 24, 2006
Still hoping for a bit of help here. I tried the feathering thing and the lowest acceptable number was .2, but the selection still has rounded corners. When I do the selection, it is a rectangle, but has soon as I release the mouse button, the corners become rounded.

The thing is, I am doing the exact same thing I have always done, but this rounded corner problem appeared from out of the blue.

"Jack" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message

Jack

J
Jack
May 25, 2006
Must be a private club

"Jack" wrote in message
Still hoping for a bit of help here. I tried the feathering thing and the lowest acceptable number was .2, but the selection still has rounded corners. When I do the selection, it is a rectangle, but has soon as I release the mouse button, the corners become rounded.

The thing is, I am doing the exact same thing I have always done, but this rounded corner problem appeared from out of the blue.

"Jack" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message

Jack

J
jeffc
May 25, 2006
Try entering ‘0’ in the feathering box. I just tried it, it worked for me.
Buster
J
jeffc
May 25, 2006
On Thu, 25 May 2006 07:00:53 GMT, "Jack" wrote:

Must be a private club

Don’t forget, the other posters on the newsgroup don’t owe you any favors. They don’t get paid to help you. If they have to work, etc. and can’t respond, please be patient.
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 25, 2006
"Jack" wrote in message

Any feathering number other than zero will result in rounded corners. You should be able to highlight the number two in the feather box on the option bar and input zero from the keyboard.
You could also try resetting the marquee tool by clicking on the down pointing arrow, next to the dotted square on the option bar. This will open a flyout with a right pointing arrow, click this and from the menu select reset tool.

MH
J
Jack
May 26, 2006
OK, I may have been a bit impatient, but it had been 5 days since my first request and I have been trying to solve the problem over 2 weeks before coming here. Actually Rudy answered correctly the first day but I misunderstood him. I was looking at the feathering via the Select menu or alt/ctrl/d and that option is the one that will not take less than .2

The comment below also eluded me because I wasn’t seeing the feather box in the option bar. When I did the reset thing Mike posted, it was the changing number in the feather box that made it catch my eye. Problem solved and I thank Rudy, Buster and Mike who ALL provided the correct solution.

"Buster" wrote in message
Try entering ‘0’ in the feathering box. I just tried it, it worked for me.
Buster
MH
Mike Hyndman
May 26, 2006
"Jack" wrote in message
OK, I may have been a bit impatient, but it had been 5 days since my first request and I have been trying to solve the problem over 2 weeks before coming here. Actually Rudy answered correctly the first day but I misunderstood him. I was looking at the feathering via the Select menu or alt/ctrl/d and that option is the one that will not take less than .2
The comment below also eluded me because I wasn’t seeing the feather box in the option bar. When I did the reset thing Mike posted, it was the changing number in the feather box that made it catch my eye. Problem solved and I thank Rudy, Buster and Mike who ALL provided the correct solution.

You’re welcome, thanks for the update.

MH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections