G
Posted By
greenbriel
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello ‘shoppers. I’m a design professional, and consider myself prett fluent in Photoshop (nearly 10 years), but this behavior has m baffled.

I have a grayscale image with threshold effect that I want colorize. add a hue/saturation layer, check ‘colorize’, adjust till it look good.

Here’s the bit that’s been driving me nuts: when I flatten the image the colorization disappears and I’m left with the greyscale again.

I’ve tried it many different ways: Performing the hue saturation on th layer directly (no adjustment layer) – this looks like it’s going t work, i.e. the image gets colorized when the preview box is checked i the effect dialog, but when I click OK, it returns to grayscale!!

I’ve also tried adding a solid layer and setting it’s blending mode t color – same exact behavior – returns to grayscale when flattened.

Can anyone offer any help with this?! I’m really stumped at this point If you want to have a look at the file, I uploaded it t
http://fthatjob.com/flush_big.psd (~2.8 Megs)

And here’s more weirdness I just discovered – if I shrink the file fro it’s current 3072 x 2048 to 640 x 427, and then do the flatten everything works as expected!!!

WTF is going on here?

greenbrie
———————————————————— ———– Posted via http://www.forum4designers.co
———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message89852.htm

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

V
V1nc3nt
Jun 23, 2004
"greenbriel" wrote in message
Hello ‘shoppers. I’m a design professional, and consider myself pretty fluent in Photoshop (nearly 10 years), but this behavior has me baffled.

I have a grayscale image with threshold effect that I want colorize. I add a hue/saturation layer, check ‘colorize’, adjust till it looks good.

Here’s the bit that’s been driving me nuts: when I flatten the image, the colorization disappears and I’m left with the greyscale again.
I’ve tried it many different ways: Performing the hue saturation on the layer directly (no adjustment layer) – this looks like it’s going to work, i.e. the image gets colorized when the preview box is checked in the effect dialog, but when I click OK, it returns to grayscale!!
I’ve also tried adding a solid layer and setting it’s blending mode to color – same exact behavior – returns to grayscale when flattened.
Can anyone offer any help with this?! I’m really stumped at this point. If you want to have a look at the file, I uploaded it to http://fthatjob.com/flush_big.psd (~2.8 Megs)

And here’s more weirdness I just discovered – if I shrink the file from it’s current 3072 x 2048 to 640 x 427, and then do the flatten, everything works as expected!!!

WTF is going on here?
I downloaded you psd and I have the same thing. This is strange. I don’t know the answer though. We have to wait for the PS guru’s.
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 23, 2004
"greenbriel" wrote in
Hello ‘shoppers. I’m a design professional, and consider myself pretty fluent in Photoshop (nearly 10 years), but this behavior has me baffled.

I have a grayscale image with threshold effect that I want colorize. I add a hue/saturation layer, check ‘colorize’, adjust till it looks good.

Here’s the bit that’s been driving me nuts: when I flatten the image, the colorization disappears and I’m left with the greyscale again.
I’ve tried it many different ways: Performing the hue saturation on the layer directly (no adjustment layer) – this looks like it’s going to work, i.e. the image gets colorized when the preview box is checked in the effect dialog, but when I click OK, it returns to grayscale!!

I’ve also tried adding a solid layer and setting it’s blending mode to color – same exact behavior – returns to grayscale when flattened.
Can anyone offer any help with this?! I’m really stumped at this point. If you want to have a look at the file, I uploaded it to http://fthatjob.com/flush_big.psd (~2.8 Megs)

And here’s more weirdness I just discovered – if I shrink the file from it’s current 3072 x 2048 to 640 x 427, and then do the flatten, everything works as expected!!!

WTF is going on here

Your image contains mostly pure black or white pixels, which will not take on any color from hue/sat. They will appear that way due to a "glitch", sort of, in the way Photoshop displays a zoomed image.

Zoom to 100% and you’ll see the lack of color even in the unflattened image.

One way to deal with this is to create gray pixels with a Gaussian blur of ..6 pixel..

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
M
Mark
Jun 23, 2004
Can’t you just change the mode to RGB?

WTF is going on here?

-G

greenbriel
———————————————————— ———— Posted via http://www.forum4designers.com
———————————————————— ———— View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message89852.html
BN
Brooklyn NYC USA
Jun 23, 2004
"Mark" wrote in message
Can’t you just change the mode to RGB?

WTF is going on here?

-G

greenbriel
———————————————————— ———— Posted via http://www.forum4designers.com
———————————————————— ———— View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message89852.html

I tried it myself a couple of different ways and had the same problem. When I checked the mode it was in RGB as suggested by Mark.

I submitted this to NAPP’s help desk. These guys are really good and have helped me in the past. I will post their reply even if someone else comes up with a solution.
H
Hecate
Jun 24, 2004
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:24:46 GMT, greenbriel
wrote:

WTF is going on here?

-G

Before you do anything, go to image/mode and make the image RGB. Then add you hue/saturation layer.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
V
V1nc3nt
Jun 24, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
wrote:

WTF is going on here?

-G

Before you do anything, go to image/mode and make the image RGB. Then add you hue/saturation layer.

It’s already in RBG, that’s strange thing
H
Hecate
Jun 24, 2004
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:01:57 +0200, "V1nc3nt"
wrote:

That is weird because the OP says it’s in grayscale.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
BN
Brooklyn NYC USA
Jun 25, 2004
"V1nc3nt" wrote in message
wrote:

WTF is going on here?

-G

I sent this msg and link to Peter Bauer == he’s written some books on PS and Illustrator == and he did it in 2 seconds. Here was his answer:

You need to adjust the Lightness slider.

He sent it back to me and that worked.
V
V1nc3nt
Jun 25, 2004
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:01:57 +0200, "V1nc3nt"
wrote:

That is weird because the OP says it’s in grayscale.

Yes, the background image is in grayscale (or B&W), but it’s in a RBG .psd. How could he be working with Hue/Saturation otherwise?
DT
Deco_time
Jun 25, 2004
In news:Brooklyn NYC typed:
I sent this msg and link to Peter Bauer == he’s written some books on PS and Illustrator == and he did it in 2 seconds. Here was his answer:

You need to adjust the Lightness slider.
Didn’t work here. Yes I could flatten and get a green tint, but in no way was it like the original. In any case, Mike Russell suggestion worked perfectly and was exactly like the original zoomed out once flattened. Way to go Mike.
I do think it’s a bug in PS as the 25% zoom doesn’t display what the image is really like.

www.odysea.ca

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections