WD
Posted By
Walter Donavan
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Let me first confess that I am an amateur graphics hobbyist with some 40 programs. I have used Photoshop since Photoshop 5, but have never had any professional training other than tutorials and books.

I retouch photos of people, and I sometimes find I must clean their skin more thoroughly than is possible with minor removal of blemishes. For example, some faces are covered with small pits–a "rough" complexion.

Can Photoshop 7 do this overall cleaning, preferably with one tool, and preferably simply?

Presently I use DC Enhancer and Clean Skin FX, both freeware from www.mediachance.com. They do a good job, but were never intended for advanced retouching.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.705 / Virus Database: 461 – Release Date: 6/12/2004

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MC
marin chiselwitt
Jun 17, 2004
Walter Donavan wrote:
Let me first confess that I am an amateur graphics hobbyist with some 40 programs. I have used Photoshop since Photoshop 5, but have never had any professional training other than tutorials and books.

I retouch photos of people, and I sometimes find I must clean their skin more thoroughly than is possible with minor removal of blemishes. For example, some faces are covered with small pits–a "rough" complexion.
Can Photoshop 7 do this overall cleaning, preferably with one tool, and preferably simply?

Presently I use DC Enhancer and Clean Skin FX, both freeware from www.mediachance.com. They do a good job, but were never intended for advanced retouching.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.705 / Virus Database: 461 – Release Date: 6/12/2004
two words to familiarise yourself with:

‘patch tool’

🙂
B
br
Jun 17, 2004
"Walter Donavan" wrote in message

Try this,
http://photoshopgurus.info/intermediate/photo_makeover/photo _makeover.shtml
WD
Walter Donavan
Jun 17, 2004
Bratman: Most excellent! Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for! 🙂

Martin: two words to familiarize yourself with (see my post): "preferably simple."

The Patch Tool was precisely what I was trying to avoid. 🙁

(I do make strong use of the Healing Brush for blemishes.)

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 – Release Date: 6/15/2004
MC
marin chiselwitt
Jun 17, 2004
Walter Donavan wrote:
Martin: two words to familiarize yourself with (see my post): "preferably simple."

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 – Release Date: 6/15/2004
not simple… err…. ok dood…
two words for you… give and up
O
OceanView
Jun 17, 2004
"Walter Donavan" wrote in
news:CQdAc.35673$:

Let me first confess that I am an amateur graphics hobbyist with some 40 programs. I have used Photoshop since
Photoshop 5, but have never had any professional training other than tutorials and books.

I retouch photos of people, and I sometimes find I must
clean their skin more thoroughly than is possible with
minor removal of blemishes. For example, some faces are
covered with small pits–a "rough" complexion.

Presently I use DC Enhancer and Clean Skin FX, both
freeware from www.mediachance.com. They do a good job, but were never intended for advanced retouching.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.705 / Virus Database: 461 – Release Date:
6/12/2004

You can do a lot with the clone tool, as well as the patch tool and healing brush. The key with clone is to experiment with opacity, brush and flow settings. Comes with practice!
NS
n8 skow
Jun 17, 2004
You mean there’s photos in there in addition to those wonderful commentaries???

n8

BN
Brooklyn NYC USA
Jun 17, 2004
"n8 skow" wrote in message
You mean there’s photos in there in addition to those wonderful commentaries???

n8

Never saw it coming.
Let me first confess that I am an amateur graphics hobbyist with some 40 programs. I have used Photoshop since Photoshop 5, but have never had
any
professional training other than tutorials and books.

H
Hecate
Jun 17, 2004
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:00:16 -0400, "Walter Donavan" wrote:

Patch tool, healing brush, but most of all:

Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann.

For a web site, look at www.retouchpro.com or Katrin’s site at www.digitalretouch.org

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
WD
Walter Donavan
Jun 18, 2004
Many thanks, Hecate.

GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 19, 2004
OK….this isn’t the most simple tutorial I have ever seen….but the results are outstanding and you will learn something along the way….so after you figure out the simple makeovers….try this one.

http://www.shanzcan.com/photoshopmama/photoshop_mama.html

ED
Erik.D
Jun 19, 2004
Actually, that tutorial was the first read for me on my way to serious makeovers, but I still find that the Noise median filter gives a blurred and unsharp image much more than a smooth image and It gives the strange effect that some things (say the eyes and mouth) that had a mask applied seem in focus and the rest not. Maybe I have to experiment with it again

The patch tool is not very complicated I would say. Great for removing eye bags

ED
Erik.D
Jun 19, 2004
"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message
OK….this isn’t the most simple tutorial I have ever seen….but the results are outstanding and you will learn something along the way….so after you figure out the simple makeovers….try this one.
I had seen photoshopmama’s site before but did not happen to pass by her tutorial with the ‘smile.jpg’ girl. Great, from plain looking girl to eye catching knock-out. I am sure the girl is happy with the pic
R
Roberto
Jun 21, 2004
"E.D." wrote in message

[sic]

Actually, that tutorial was the first read for me on my way to serious makeovers, but I still find that the Noise median filter gives a blurred and
unsharp image much more than a smooth image and It gives the strange effect
that some things (say the eyes and mouth) that had a mask applied seem in focus and the rest not. Maybe I have to experiment with it again

[sic]

The Median filter itself is completely useless. However, if you Add Noise over it, it will look VERY natural (I was staring at the effect with my mouth open for hours when I figured that one out). Make sure the noise level is in accord with the rest of the image, tho. Also, make sure that you reduce opacity of the layer on which you applied Median filter (from my experience, optimal opacity is anywhere between 70% and 85%).
R
Roberto
Jun 21, 2004
"E.D." wrote in message
I had seen photoshopmama’s site before but did not happen to pass by her tutorial with the ‘smile.jpg’ girl. Great, from plain looking girl to eye catching knock-out. I am sure the girl is happy with the pic

A note here: depending on how strong the skin texture is, Gaussian Blur might not do the job properly.

IMHO, Median (8~12) or Dust & Scratches filters will do a much better job.
ED
Erik.D
Jun 22, 2004
"Branko Vukelic" wrote in message
"E.D." wrote in message

[sic]

Actually, that tutorial was the first read for me on my way to serious makeovers, but I still find that the Noise median filter gives a blurred and
unsharp image much more than a smooth image and It gives the strange effect
that some things (say the eyes and mouth) that had a mask applied seem
in
focus and the rest not. Maybe I have to experiment with it again

[sic]

The Median filter itself is completely useless. However, if you Add Noise over it, it will look VERY natural (I was staring at the effect with my mouth open for hours when I figured that one out). Make sure the noise
level
is in accord with the rest of the image, tho. Also, make sure that you reduce opacity of the layer on which you applied Median filter (from my experience, optimal opacity is anywhere between 70% and 85%).

I am not sure if I fully understand what you mean. What I do is Filter->Noise->Median and yes, I then lset the opacity to about 70-80%. Do you mean that after I do Filter->Noise->Median I have to do Filter->Noise->Add Noise ??

ED
Erik.D
Jun 22, 2004
"E.D." wrote in message
OK….this isn’t the most simple tutorial I have ever seen….but the results are outstanding and you will learn something along the
way….so
after you figure out the simple makeovers….try this one.
I had seen photoshopmama’s site before but did not happen to pass by her tutorial with the ‘smile.jpg’ girl. Great, from plain looking girl to
eye
catching knock-out. I am sure the girl is happy with the pic

A note here: depending on how strong the skin texture is, Gaussian Blur might not do the job properly.

Thanks for the suggestion. As is clear from my earlier post that you addressed, I usually use the Noise-Median filter. I’ll start experimenting with Gaussian as well, but will also try dust and scratches (for skin, are you sure?)
LC
Larry CdeBaca
Jun 22, 2004
All of these great techniques on reproducing — how did Hef’s photo staff accomplish the same thing? We call it "airbrush;" was it? Is that technique irreproducible in PS?

"E.D." wrote in message
"E.D." wrote in message
OK….this isn’t the most simple tutorial I have ever seen….but the results are outstanding and you will learn something along the
way….so
I had seen photoshopmama’s site before but did not happen to pass by
her
tutorial with the ‘smile.jpg’ girl. Great, from plain looking girl to
eye

Thanks for the suggestion. As is clear from my earlier post that you addressed, I usually use the Noise-Median filter. I’ll start experimenting with Gaussian as well, but will also try dust and scratches (for skin, are you sure?)

T
twelfthmoon
Jun 23, 2004
All of these great techniques on reproducing — how did Hef’s photo staff accomplish the same thing? We call it "airbrush;" was it? Is that technique irreproducible in PS?

Its an "analog vs. digital" thing.
M
mdocert
Jun 23, 2004
For skin blemishes, most can be eliminated with the Clone Stamp tool. Set to ‘Lighten’ and drop the opacity to 50% then clone from a clear area of skin near by using a large soft brush. Then, for the airbrushed effect that I think you might be looking for; duplicate your layer (Ctrl+J) and give the duplicate layer a shot of gaussian blur (3-6 pixels). Now for the cool part.. grab your eraser and carefully erase the hair, mouth, eyes, clothing and outline of the face, leaving only the skin blurred. Then flatten your image. This, another very cool trick from Scott Kelby, author of "Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers". Works wonderfully.
EG
Eric Gill
Jun 23, 2004
"Larry CdeBaca" wrote in
news::

All of these great techniques on reproducing — how did Hef’s photo staff accomplish the same thing? We call it "airbrush;" was it?

That’s one of the traditional retouching tools, yes.

Is that technique irreproducible in PS?

The very first suggestion involved under/overpainting, which is quite similar.

Question – if you can get similar results without having to do as much work in PS, why would you want to imitate the older technique?
R
Roberto
Jun 23, 2004
"E.D." wrote in message

[sic]

Yes. But you need to overdo it in order to get the effect. However, I think I’ll stick to Median since it seems to be the universal solution (Gaussian, for example, doesn’t always work, and I suspect it’s same with D&S).
R
Roberto
Jun 23, 2004
"E.D." wrote in message
[sic]

I am not sure if I fully understand what you mean. What I do is Filter->Noise->Median and yes, I then lset the opacity to about 70-80%. Do you mean that after I do Filter->Noise->Median I have to do Filter->Noise->Add Noise ??

Exactly. Depending on the noise of the surrounding (untouched) area you’ll need a little to moderate noise. Usually, Uniform noise will do just fine. Monochrome noise will work with B&W photos but sometimes also on RGB.

IMO, it helps to remove that out-of-focus look quite effectively.
R
Roberto
Jun 24, 2004
Of course it is. It’s just a bit harder to learn for people who’ve never even seen an airbrush. I know people from the old school who swear by the red film and airbrush. I’ve never seen neither in my life and, sadly, those things are not available in the supply stores (where I live, that is; probably can be found elsewhere).

"Larry CdeBaca" wrote in message
All of these great techniques on reproducing — how did Hef’s photo staff accomplish the same thing? We call it "airbrush;" was it? Is that technique
irreproducible in PS?

"E.D." wrote in message
"E.D." wrote in message
OK….this isn’t the most simple tutorial I have ever seen….but the
results are outstanding and you will learn something along the
way….so
her
eye

Thanks for the suggestion. As is clear from my earlier post that you addressed, I usually use the Noise-Median filter. I’ll start experimenting
with Gaussian as well, but will also try dust and scratches (for skin, are
you sure?)

R
Roberto
Jun 24, 2004
Make that "Of course it isn’t" (irreproducible). Sorry for the typo.

Of course it is. It’s just a bit harder to learn for people who’ve never even seen an airbrush. I know people from the old school who swear by the red film and airbrush. I’ve never seen neither in my life and, sadly, those things are not available in the supply stores (where I live, that is; probably can be found elsewhere).

"Larry CdeBaca" wrote in message
All of these great techniques on reproducing — how did Hef’s photo staff accomplish the same thing? We call it "airbrush;" was it? Is that technique
irreproducible in PS?

"E.D." wrote in message
"E.D." wrote in message
OK….this isn’t the most simple tutorial I have ever seen….but the
results are outstanding and you will learn something along the
way….so
her
eye

A note here: depending on how strong the skin texture is, Gaussian Blur
might not do the job properly.

Thanks for the suggestion. As is clear from my earlier post that you addressed, I usually use the Noise-Median filter. I’ll start experimenting
with Gaussian as well, but will also try dust and scratches (for skin, are
you sure?)

R
Roberto
Jun 25, 2004
No offence, but you really should take those links posted in here earlier in the thread. They offer much valuable advice. Also, this tells me that the book is actually a masochist cookbook rather than a fast way to get the work done. That’s IMO, of course.

"Mdocert" wrote in message
For skin blemishes, most can be eliminated with the Clone Stamp tool. Set to
‘Lighten’ and drop the opacity to 50% then clone from a clear area of skin near
by using a large soft brush. Then, for the airbrushed effect that I think you
might be looking for; duplicate your layer (Ctrl+J) and give the duplicate layer a shot of gaussian blur (3-6 pixels). Now for the cool part.. grab your
eraser and carefully erase the hair, mouth, eyes, clothing and outline of the
face, leaving only the skin blurred. Then flatten your image. This, another
very cool trick from Scott Kelby, author of "Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers". Works wonderfully.
FB
Frederic Banaszak
Jun 25, 2004
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:06:15 +0200, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

No offence, but you really should take those links posted in here earlier in the thread. They offer much valuable advice. Also, this tells me that the book is actually a masochist cookbook rather than a fast way to get the work done. That’s IMO, of course.

You have but to look at the author. It explains a lot.
PB
point blank
Jun 26, 2004
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:46:43 +0100, "/\\BratMan/\\" wrote:

Try this,

I’ve tried following the steps in the above tutorial… but wonder if they have got the first step a little mixed up.

After opening your picture, adding a new layer and applying the noise, it says ‘add a Layer Mask, and using black, paint overtop of the main facial lines’. Doing this leaves everything other than the facial lines and eyes (hair, background etc) looking blurred.

I guess what they mean is to ‘add a BLACK Layer Mask, and using WHITE, paint over the face, avoiding the facial lines, eyes etc’.

Does that make sense? This way the facial skin is softened, but the rest of the picture remains normal. Or am I missing something?
R
Roberto
Jun 27, 2004
Not really. What does it explain?

"Frederic Banaszak" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:06:15 +0200, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

No offence, but you really should take those links posted in here earlier in
the thread. They offer much valuable advice. Also, this tells me that the book is actually a masochist cookbook rather than a fast way to get the work
done. That’s IMO, of course.

You have but to look at the author. It explains a lot.

FB
Frederic Banaszak
Jun 27, 2004
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:35:59 +0200, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

Sorry. I was expressing my disdain for Kelby. Frankly, I wouldn’t waste the time to piss on him if he was on fire.

Not that I have any opinion…

Fred
PB
point blank
Jun 27, 2004
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:54:51 +0200, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

You are right, absolutely right.

<grin>

Took me a few minutes to figure it out, but the technique works very nicely when you do it this way.

Also the suggestion here about adding some ‘uniform noise’ seems a good one… helps remove any blurred look from the picture.
R
Roberto
Jun 28, 2004
You are right, absolutely right.

"point blank" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:46:43 +0100, "/\\BratMan/\\" wrote:

Try this,

I’ve tried following the steps in the above tutorial… but wonder if they have got the first step a little mixed up.

After opening your picture, adding a new layer and applying the noise, it says ‘add a Layer Mask, and using black, paint overtop of the main facial lines’. Doing this leaves everything other than the facial lines and eyes (hair, background etc) looking blurred.

I guess what they mean is to ‘add a BLACK Layer Mask, and using WHITE, paint over the face, avoiding the facial lines, eyes etc’.
Does that make sense? This way the facial skin is softened, but the rest of the picture remains normal. Or am I missing something?

H
Hecate
Jun 28, 2004
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:52:31 GMT, Frederic Banaszak
wrote:

Sorry. I was expressing my disdain for Kelby. Frankly, I wouldn’t waste the time to piss on him if he was on fire.

I have a Down & Dirty Tricks book. That’s the one and only time I buy one of his books. The word childish springs to mind 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
Roberto
Jun 28, 2004
I agree with you. Judging from the sample that we saw in this thread, I’d say Kelby is either using some prehistoric version of PS or he doesn’t really know how to make the best of what’s available nowadays. I see no reason to stick to that book, especially having in mind the quality and availability of free on-line Photoshop resources.

"Frederic Banaszak" wrote in message

Fred

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections